LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
With me doing the work, $2,500 plus another $900 for the bumpers and the cladding. No real body work. Was absolutely straight with no bondo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A neighbor who paints and repairs Cobra Replicas quoted me $10,000 for a like new paint job without a color change, could be double that for a color change.
AxelWulff, ianrandom and bflobob8 like this.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Had the same problem with my black S500. Did basically the same but with 4 black zip ties. As President of the Bottom Feeders Club of America I couldn't justify spending a penny more.

Nice detailed pictures, btw.
I'm surprised this problem was never undertaken as a class-action against MB. They could have solved the problem for under $100/car including labor. There certainly were enough of this poor bumper cover design sold in the states to warrant it. Meanwhile, yeah: I can see how zip-ties could do the trick, provided you're willing to punch a hole in the fiberglass or plastic--or whatever it's made out of.

My body shop didn't charge me anything for it; I told him he'd get the business if he could figure out a way to eliminate the problem; I didn't want to pay $2K to have it replaced and then run the cycle all over again. He wound up not charging me extra (he was competitive with another quote--sans the fix--to within $50) because he was interested to see if he could engineer a solution...which he did. I told him he should sell it to anyone coming in with one of these shitty AMG bumper designs--after he replaces it, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
With me doing the work, $2,500 plus another $900 for the bumpers and the cladding. No real body work. Was absolutely straight with no bondo
Man, that would be nice. But I just don't have the time or the know-how, and I'm afraid I'd bust something. Of course, it's all doable with enough time, patience, and learning curve. It's a conundrum. Do it right for $8K or more...or settle for something less that is visible to me and other car epicurians, but invisible to the average person. The more you put into the car, the more complicated are matters of insurance if it gets totaled--particularly if it's a daily. I see no reason to paint the car and get the upper engine rebuilt just to have it sit in a garage 95% of the time. That's a waste of money to me. If I paint the car, it's because I want to drive the car regularly.

I have to decide just how good a paint job I want. I have a friend whose dad paints his own cars--and does beautiful work. But he's retired and doesn't want to deal with someone else. I'd drive it from California to Illinois for that and leave it there for a few months. Bummer for me.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Great thread. I'm looking for good... great touch up paint for Astral 735 for my W126. And if anyone knows a source for sliding roof felt or rebuild kit?

Una vita
One life
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatSal View Post
That was Mauricio's Body Repair in Lancaster, CA. There's a bunch of postings by @mclare when he had his car with AMG parts painted. When I spoke to Mauricio 2 years ago, he was asking for $4,200 to repaint an SEC, which included primer, 3 coats of paint and 3 clear coats.
Mauricio is a rip off! He ripped off my mother for a grand and then disappeared! He had like 3 wives coming after him for support of like 20 kids.....

She wasn't the only one. There were several of my friends that got ripped off by him.

And his work is mediocre at best.
mramay likes this.

Current Stable:
2012 CL550 C4 4MATIC Coupe

Past cars:
1991-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe.
1990-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock. Euro Headlamps & Wipers
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan
1988 420 SEL Champagne/Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in