Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hirschman Antenna wiring help

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  elislider 
#1 ·
1991 Mercedes 300SE

I have four wires in factory wiring harness at antenna.

2 red & white
1 brown
1 blue

Hirschman Antenna has 6 wires

2 red & white
1 blue & white
1 brown
1 blue & green
1 blue & yellow

Is there any hope of getting these set up to work. 1991 Antenna was automatic with no inside switch. 1989 Mercedes 300se has a dash switch for Antenna adjustment. The Antenna is from a 1989 300se. I thought it would be simple but have been wrong so far.

The red & white wire with black tape is constantly is hot on the Factory wiring harness.

Any thoughts would greatly appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hey there music lover!

I am looking through the various wiring diagrams, and rather I... Do you have a blue car... LOL, I'll ask if yours has an amplifier or two in the system?

'Click & Clack [the Tappet Brothers]' usually asked the color of the caller's car if a bit stumped..... needing more infos....

Operators standing by....

MBL

#6 · (Edited)
Hi again, Jim,

Thank you for that last bit! Lol!

I found these diagrams for the sound system [as of MY 1988 starting with 9/88 Production].
The next one is for MY 1991, so I surmise these ought to apply to your situation..
Here's hoping this will shed some light.

The 'always ON' Red/White goes to antenna & the trunk light.
Blue is powered when the radio is powered ON and provides trigger for the antenna to rise & stay UP.
Blue/Green & Blue/Yellow are from the antenna switch. ***
Black powers the Amplifier, as you can see...
Brown is the Ground supply.

*** As yours has no switch, then you can safely disregard these two.. Tape 'em off, whatever..]
In addition, BLUE & BLUE/WHITE speak the same language here..

In case the small print is too much, here are the same converted to .pdf .

Good luck man,

MBL

P.S. Thanks for putting up with my earlier silliness.... ;)

Attachments

#7 ·
Thank you for the detail on the wiring. I have replaced one of the behind the back seat amps and the trunk amp/ tuner so I really was afraid of frying one of them.
I could still do so I guess. The learning curve on dealing with electronics is almost instantaneous along with expensive. lol

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

#9 ·
Thanks again so much for all the knowledge shared.

I will post a picture of how the wires had to be matched up to make the system function in the morning. Bypassing / Tying the antenna switch wires in at the Hirschman antenna plug was key to operation. At this point the Antenna tries to continue a little longer than it should. The Antenna should not cycle past he normal operation range.
At least the radio is functioning as it should.

jim

#11 ·
I have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.