I graduated!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Prochambers's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking I graduated!!!

Greetings all. Happy New Year! I was blessed to graduate to a 2015 S550 just last Wednesday. I now have the best of both worlds. My '87 420 SEL is my daily driver here in the streets of Philadelphia taking in the daily abuse and scaring many drivers with her real bumpers. Lol! The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo.

My 2015 will serve as the new highway runner for vacation and business trips since she has the CPO warranty coverage which is good until Jan 2023.She is a beast to drive with her powerful engine and handling capability.

Here are a few pictures. The color is Palladium Silver. Hope you enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	2481482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2481484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz 5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2481486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz 6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2481488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benz 4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2481490  


If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Prochambers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:19 AM
Moderator
Outstanding Contributor
 
MBL87560SEC's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Location: Boston, MA area
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Hi there!

WOW!

"The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo. "

That's really quite a testament to both design & build quality, PLUS your dedication & care when it comes to operation & maintenance detail.. I say very well done with both!

Plus, what a nice car you have added too!

It looks like a 'starship'.. Where's the gearstick?, I am wondering.. as all my cars through the decades have had one....

Congrats man!

MBL


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 500SEC EURO Germany
87 560SEC USA 49 State Version
MBL87560SEC is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
281lxm's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,012
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Our 2014 cabriolet is so very similar to the C126. The 7 speed sport transmission is very nice, and a v6 is quite responsive. I told my wife when she turns on the car, to operate it properly she needs to press the E button and the Transmission to S. Now she will never stall out at a light and she will always appreciate the testicular fortitude of the green light! One issue I run into on the new car is the smart brakes, it senses how fast the foot is off the accelerator to the brake and takes over with gusto. Welcome to the digital car...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_____________________________________________
1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
281lxm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Prochambers's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL87560SEC View Post
Hi there!

WOW!

"The 420 is hanging in there big time, they don't make cars like the W126 anymore. I'm closing in on 330,000 miles on the odo. "

That's really quite a testament to both design & build quality, PLUS your dedication & care when it comes to operation & maintenance detail.. I say very well done with both!

Plus, what a nice car you have added too!

It looks like a 'starship'.. Where's the gearstick?, I am wondering.. as all my cars through the decades have had one....

Congrats man!

MBL
Hey MB. Long time my friend. Yes it took sometime getting used to the gear stalk on the right side of the steering wheel. Up for Reverse, Down for Drive, push button on end for Park. Lol!

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Prochambers is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Prochambers's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
Our 2014 cabriolet is so very similar to the C126. The 7 speed sport transmission is very nice, and a v6 is quite responsive. I told my wife when she turns on the car, to operate it properly she needs to press the E button and the Transmission to S. Now she will never stall out at a light and she will always appreciate the testicular fortitude of the green light! One issue I run into on the new car is the smart brakes, it senses how fast the foot is off the accelerator to the brake and takes over with gusto. Welcome to the digital car...
Yes i'm getting a serious awakening to the newer Benz technology. I've learned how to shut off the ECO feature where it cuts the engine out at stop lights. I was wondering why the car was hesitating a 1/2 second to take off again. And that braking feature is awesome once you get used to it. Thanks.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Prochambers is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mramay's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
Our 2014 cabriolet is so very similar to the C126. The 7 speed sport transmission is very nice, and a v6 is quite responsive. I told my wife when she turns on the car, to operate it properly she needs to press the E button and the Transmission to S. Now she will never stall out at a light and she will always appreciate the testicular fortitude of the green light! One issue I run into on the new car is the smart brakes, it senses how fast the foot is off the accelerator to the brake and takes over with gusto. Welcome to the digital car...
Interesting on the brakes. I left foot brake so there are times the accelerator pedal is rising while the brakes are being applied. Wonder how the computer would handle "instantaneous" or overlapping brake applications.
luckymike likes this.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 17x8.5/Nitto's, ATE slotted rotors with ceramic pads, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip. '87 560SEL with Euro Headlights, lowered, 235/40/17's
mramay is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Das 420's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1990 420 SEL, 1990 560sel, 1991 300e
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Congrats on the new ride. I would agree that the W222 would be the next best thing to a w126 imo for me to jump into if I wanted something modern. Don't get me wrong the w126's are awesome to drive and enjoy, but they are 30+ yrs old, and there are some upgraded creature comforts that would be nice to enjoy when yachting down the road. I eye the w222's every time I go to the dealer, and it gets tempting to throw the towel in and change. If the w222 came in a wagon I would be the first to sign up. So for now, I keep on bugging my sales contact to get me into a new or lightly used e63 estate in Dolomite Brown Metallic or Designo Mystic Brown, but they are nearly non existent. Actually they almost don't exist

In the Shop so far...
90 420SEL
90 560SEL
05 Crossfire SRT-6
02 AM General H1

Last edited by Das 420; 01-14-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Das 420 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Prochambers's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das 420 View Post
Congrats on the new ride. I would agree that the W222 would be the next best thing to a w126 imo for me to jump into if I wanted something modern. Don't get me wrong the w126's are awesome to drive and enjoy, but they are 30+ yrs old, and there are some upgraded creature comforts that would be nice to enjoy when yachting down the road. I eye the w222's every time I go to the dealer, and it gets tempting to throw the towel in and change. If the w222 came in a wagon I would be the first to sign up. So for now, I keep on bugging my sales contact to get me into a new or lightly used e63 estate in Dolomite Brown Metallic or Designo Mystic Brown, but they are nearly non existent. Actually they almost don't exist
Thank you! I'm so glad that I still have W126 to drive daily. I'm mainly running the W222 on the weekends.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Prochambers is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 99 BMW R1100RT, 05 MB C230, 07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,782
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
CPO is the only way to go with a new MB. Don't even want to think about that thing being 30+ years old.

Probably gives a nice ride, though.

1999 BMW R1100RT
2005 MB C230K Sport
2010 Chevy Tahoe LT
2007 Chevy Silverado CC Z71
TexFinn is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Prochambers's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
CPO is the only way to go with a new MB. Don't even want to think about that thing being 30+ years old.

Probably gives a nice ride, though.
I can't even imagine the tech in 30 years! Lol! The ride is very, very nice and controlled. Thank you!

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Prochambers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome