Bought this stupid car on Saturday. May end up being a peach. - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 99 BMW R1100RT, 05 MB C230, 07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If I was to have it welded, I'd definitely want some extra plates welded in there, too. Just in case.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.

1999 BMW R1100RT
2005 MB C230K Sport
2010 Chevy Tahoe LT
2007 Chevy Silverado CC Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: Welding. I thought the same thing. I have a friend who is an ASE certified master tech, and one who is a professional fabricator/welder come over to take a look.

I saw the Samcrac video, and there are several differences with his car. The damage was pretty fresh (and wasn't driven after the accident) AND the damage happened right where the weld was. They were easily able to use ratchet straps to bring the metal back into place.

In my case, this car has been driven for a while on the damage. The metal in that section has stretched, and I was using full weight of the car, straps, etc. and the metal wouldn't budge - it would not come back together in any way. It was going to require a frame rack to pull the that back into place, and removal of the engine so you can weld on all sides. Even then, the damage is really at a weak point that receives a lot of stress between suspension pulls. and the vibration of the engine on the mount which is all right there.

I was hoping to do a quick weld/patch but quickly realized an engine-out and frame rack was going to be required. That's why I opted not to repair.

But once I get my parts out the car will be available for any local Benz folks to come pick clean before I send if off. THere will be some US bumpers, good sheet metal available if anyone wants it.
AxelWulff likes this.

1991 560 SEC Euro
1986 420 SEL
1985 500 SEC (US)
1983 500 SEC (Euro)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Garage
Can you provide more info on the wheels? Itís pretty rare for wheels to be beyond repair. Usually thatís due to the wheels being previously worked incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
I have a good wheel shop in Kirkland that has a bunch of high-end equipment. I trust these guys I've seen them work miracles.

The owner took a look at all 4 and 2 were really bad, one sort of bad, and one OK. I saw them myself. My guess is they were on the car in the same accident that damaged the cradle. The two front wheels were both out of round (oval) but also twisted. I could see them myself on the machine.

He said it was *possible* to fix, but would be hours of work with no guarantees. AND the two bad ones were in the front (staggered set) so I was dealing with a situation where I could have $800 in a set of wheels, with a set of fronts that were slightly out of round. Didn't seem like worth doing.
AxelWulff likes this.

1991 560 SEC Euro
1986 420 SEL
1985 500 SEC (US)
1983 500 SEC (Euro)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have watched a front left side damaged Saab lower A-Pillar/chassis damage pulled back into alignment by panel beater at his own home DIY workshop.

He drilled and secured various anchor points to his workshop floor and had the car on sturdy stands and used various chains on ratchets around the car to do the pulling by welding on anchor points on the chassis as required and cutting then off later.

It was all done in a gradual orderly process of measuring - pull - re measure - pull - re measure.
I was impressed at his methodical approach as he cut sections of the lower A-Pillar outside face open to access inside and later welded those panels to close them up again
and the end result with all the straightening and welding was spot on.
All done at home using basic tools
roadhouse and Currumbin SL like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
You know you’ll have to change your name to “Corellian Mercedes” soon.
Nice score.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
@roadhouse LOL! I do have more Merc's than Vette's, but it's a Star Wars reference so it still holds.
@KRH - I've actually done some body work at home and actually my 420SEL had been hit in the fender/hood and I was able to get that back into shape at home with some careful bodywork. But frame horns that hold fenders/core supports is a different animal than a major suspension and load-bearing element. If this was simply holding a fender on, or even just holding the weight of the engine, then I think a home solution would work. But this holds the engine AND lower suspension so you have the weight of the engine AND the car pressing against this very sensitive area. Myself and my friends all determined that it was a major safety issue.

1991 560 SEC Euro
1986 420 SEL
1985 500 SEC (US)
1983 500 SEC (Euro)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2018
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 500 sec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
merc damage

can someone please explain in a little more detail or a pic from further back where this crack has occurred
i want to check mine as im currently restoring mine and best check it before putting load of money into it
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
It’s the engine cradle. It’s the frame right under the car where the motor mounts are, and the lower control arms mount to the body. Right where it bends up and is welded to the unibody.

1991 560 SEC Euro
1986 420 SEL
1985 500 SEC (US)
1983 500 SEC (Euro)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in