post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2018
Vehicle: 1987 Mercedes 300 SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New guy, have a few questions.

Hi all. I just brought home my first Mercedes today, i've always wanted one.

It's a 1987 300D and I think it's a W126?

250k miles, the body is in beautiful shape with 0 rust. A loosened oil cap with engine running is rock solid, no movement whatsoever (maybe it has a vacuum leak somewhere else? It passed that test a little too well actually)

I have a few questions with this being my first.

The turbo doesn't seem to do anything until 2,700 rpm or so. That's fine with me as long as that's normal, is it?

The inside is not nearly as nice as the outside unfortunately and few things work in there. The radio is dead but the cig lighter works. The rear dome light, defrost and hazard lamp switches work in the center but everything else there is non operational.

No air controls do anything whatsoever. However, there is a pull-down switch directly under the ignition key and if you pull it down the front defrost fan comes on full blast. While that is happening the center climate buttons still do not respond. Is that pull-down switch Mercedes or aftermarket?

What would you check forst for radio and climate buttons, fuses, the unit itself?

Thanks so much for your knowledge!
- Joe -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_153612.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2469186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to The Machine there lvin4jc. You are CLOSE, that would be a 300SD, 300 denoting engine size, S being the "S-Klasse" or Sonder klasse, and D being diesel. From your description on the interior, someone has done some non-factory modifications. Fill out your profile, "UserCP" at top of page especially where you are generally and the model (that way we won't have to scroll to find that info), never know, someone might be just around the corner from you.

Check the fuses under the hood next to the brake master cylinder under the plastic cover. I'd suggest changing to the copper/brass fuses from the aluminum ones, many gremlins solved just from that. The Climate Control may not be working as it should due to vacuum leaks in that system, it defaults to blowing from defrost. Take a look in the DIY thread in the top section, many (if not all) issues have been dealt with over the years and you'll likely find something in there to help. I haven't any idea on your oil burner since I own a gasser but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can answer the turbo question

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooky_chew_bacca View Post
Welcome to The Machine there lvin4jc. You are CLOSE, that would be a 300SD, 300 denoting engine size, S being the "S-Klasse" or Sonder klasse, and D being diesel. From your description on the interior, someone has done some non-factory modifications. Fill out your profile, "UserCP" at top of page especially where you are generally and the model (that way we won't have to scroll to find that info), never know, someone might be just around the corner from you.

Check the fuses under the hood next to the brake master cylinder under the plastic cover. I'd suggest changing to the copper/brass fuses from the aluminum ones, many gremlins solved just from that. The Climate Control may not be working as it should due to vacuum leaks in that system, it defaults to blowing from defrost. Take a look in the DIY thread in the top section, many (if not all) issues have been dealt with over the years and you'll likely find something in there to help. I haven't any idea on your oil burner since I own a gasser but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can answer the turbo question
Thank you sir.

This is the pull-down switch i'm talking about . I have no idea why they would modify it like that???

So possibly that switch has to be on for the climate to get power and then once climate is awake I must have a vacuum leak or something making that work incorrectly. You're correct, a busted climate system should default to defrost for safety's sake so that makes perfect sense to me.

I have never seen that type of fuse before bu i'll check them out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181128_173633.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2469208   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_173648.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2469210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
That switch is definitely NOT factory. Trace the wires back to where they came from. The Climate Control system has a series of pods that control where the air comes from. If you don't have, you'll need a "MityVac" to check for leaks on the plastic hard lines and rubber connectors. Here is a diagram of the system, yours being an '87 is a "GenII" and should be similar. I also am posting a couple of other pics of the pods, these are the "twins" and also the vacuum/solenoid control valve "Gang of Seven", if yours has only 6 lines from it I have the diagram of it too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gang Of Seven Vacuum Pods.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	2469222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Dash 001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2469224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Dash Part Two 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	2469226  

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'02 S-10 Truck

Dif-tor heh smusma
LOL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Eesh, what a pain. Very pretty car though. Welcome to the forum.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That's very helpful, thank you!

I will look at it today and see what I can figure out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
Eesh, what a pain. Very pretty car though. Welcome to the forum.
I am not excited about it. Honestly I would rather it had a mechanical issue, I know how to fix those, lol.

And thanks for the compliment. It has 0 rust and has been repainted pretty well. The interior is not nice at the moment, however, the engine and transmission seem to be very nice.

And also I gave $600 for it so... How can I go wrong?

How many bucket list items can you knock off for that price? Not many on my list, haha
ianrandom likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
the knob is the ejector seat, right side.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D, 1986 SDL, 1982 SD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Welcome to the group.

It sounds like there is a bunch of corrosion on the fuses. Change them all out to brass.

That probably will not fix the ACC. The control unit is dead, and the pull button just powers up the defog fan. Someone needs to pull the console and make sure the connections are all good for lighting and the other buttons.

The 87 is an SDL, Long wheel base. There were no SD from 1985 until 1992 or 93 and later with the w140.

Radio not working would have impact on the antenna switch. Finding an appropriated Becker should fix that. Best would be to send it to Becker Auto Sound for rebuild and you can be styling like a king. A weaker man would put one of the nasty neon flashing crap box radios and really fuck the whole thing up with thumping bass and all manner of amps. Becker can also rebuild the antenna. Please do not allow a trunk monkey to butcher the system and cut the antenna cable. Those are a bitch to replace. My 86 SDL does not have a trunk amp, so the 87 probably does not either. If it did, the head unit depends upon that amp for functionality.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'86 300SDL - Polei
'82 300SD - Allen

Retired cars
'02 s430 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
the knob is the ejector seat, right side.
Yeah I forgot about that "option" LOL

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'02 S-10 Truck

Dif-tor heh smusma
LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in