Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
mboemparts.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2016
Vehicle: 85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks.

The Aux fan sure isn't cheap.

Can't find the relay yet. When I click AC and Heating with my car I get no results. Strange.
post #73 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Admittedly, I have not parsed every detail of your story. But, then, these observations are helpful but not reliable. Ask your mechanic. He will probably ignore everything you tell him until he sees it for himself. One fact for sure, your car overheated.

Except for overheating that only comes at idle, standing still, warm out, car in Park, mostly a MB V8 does not need a fan at all. If your facts are that your car has not overheated when moving, spend as much as you want on the fans. Otherwise, thermostat, air pocket, radiator. In that order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 85 Mercedes 500 SEC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I have an 85 SEC and I have an overheating issue slows around 80/90 but not long after it keeps going up to over 100 and no signs of cooling down. What pressure should the expansion cap be? I'm going to pull my radiator out and have it tested. My aux fan comes on at 85ish. I'm not sure the viscous clutch fan is working because of low heat in radiator. The reason I'm having the radiator tested is that at 100 plus it's hot in the top tank with a heat gun around 80/90 but the inside of radiator remains at 22 to 27 and the bottom not much better. There seems to be about a 40 degree difference so I think the radiator is blocked cause it shouldn't be that much?
post #75 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGW500 View Post
I have an 85 SEC and I have an overheating issue slows around 80/90 but not long after it keeps going up to over 100 and no signs of cooling down. What pressure should the expansion cap be? I'm going to pull my radiator out and have it tested. My aux fan comes on at 85ish. I'm not sure the viscous clutch fan is working because of low heat in radiator. The reason I'm having the radiator tested is that at 100 plus it's hot in the top tank with a heat gun around 80/90 but the inside of radiator remains at 22 to 27 and the bottom not much better. There seems to be about a 40 degree difference so I think the radiator is blocked cause it shouldn't be that much?
I hate to keep beating the same old drum, but when you remove it to test it you are going to be replacing some parts anyway and the radiator is about $200. How much testing can you do for $200?
post #76 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 85 Mercedes 500 SEC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
In Oz they around 500+. I'm hoping if I take it to the radiator place they can give it a better clean out then I can do.
post #77 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1988 560 sec
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Over heating issues are not that complicated, A quick diagnostic tree.

1 verify coolant level and proper ratio of water to coolant , check belt tension on water pump.

2 verify operation of fan clutch

3 verify aux fan is functioning by running power to it directly, if it fuctions

Verify control switch on ac dryer accumulator for low speed operation , bridge switch connection fan should engage if not check fuse and relay and the resistor.

Verify temperature sensor control for high speed operation. Ground connection fan should engage.if not check fuse and relay

4 change thermostat, least expensive thing to do.

5 change the radiator, in the old days you could pull one and have a radiator repair shop gunk tank it but those shops are few and far between as the advent of plastic aluminum radiators and the EPA closed the doors to many of these shops.

6 If the above fails to rectify your overheating your coolant passages are plugged and you need a full strength flush and lastly a new water pump.

7 begrudgingly listen to Wilson1010 he has a nice way of cutting to the chase based on what appears to be a good deal of experience.

Dear 1783pictures buy yourself MB repair manuals and get a working knowledge of them or i fear your ownership of your car will be shortlived and painful. Best of luck to all .
MBL87560SEC and Cdubnga like this.
post #78 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGW500 View Post
In Oz they around 500+. I'm hoping if I take it to the radiator place they can give it a better clean out then I can do.
ouch! What do they do, put a tariff on it? It can't cost that much more to ship it can ot?
post #79 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2016
Vehicle: 85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Rox View Post
Dear 1783pictures buy yourself MB repair manuals and get a working knowledge of them or i fear your ownership of your car will be shortlived and painful. Best of luck to all .
I certainly wasn't expecting this right out the gate. Especially after paying for a PPI. This has been a shock.

No question that I will learn as I go. Considering I literally just took delivery of the vehicle I don't want to eff around. If I need to pay a qualified mechanic to find and fix the issue, so be it. I won't cry.

Drove it to church this morning. Outside temp was 81. AC was insanely cold (it gave me chills) and when I went to low fan to automatic fan speed somehow the center vents came on again! After church, no dice. No center vents. And it was no longer 81 outside. It was 90 and the ac wasn't nearly as cold. When I was waiting at the Starbucks drive-through the temp started rising. I turned the ac off and after driving for a few minutes the temp returned to normal.

I drive around for a good half hour and at one point stopped and just idled in a parking lot for ten minutes drinking coffee. The engine temp went up maybe two degrees to 85.

No AC, no high temp.
post #80 of 210 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1783pictures View Post
Thanks.

The Aux fan sure isn't cheap.

Can't find the relay yet. When I click AC and Heating with my car I get no results. Strange.
You can easily test the aux fan by jumping the connection at the A/C receiver-drier switch, like this:

1. Locate the A/C receiver-drier. The pressure switch to the aux fan is the red-cylinder thing in this picture (we are behind the passenger headlight here):

2. Disconnect the two spade connectors attached to the pressure switch (the two white plastic things you can see in this picture):

3. Jump the connection between the two female connectors. A paperclip or safety pin should work.

4. Turn the key to position 2 (so the dash lights come on). If the aux fan is working is should switch on at low speed.
MBL87560SEC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in