BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2017
Vehicle: 91 w126 560SEC, 04 w220 S500 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
required : Oil Pump Tensioner Rail instllation guide

dear Benz world members
I want some guide in how to install Oil Pump Tensioner Rail in the right way . I removed the front timing cover along with the oil pump. also I removed booth panes . I will install new rail and chain . I have done engine heads, timing chain+ all rails, back cover . only the oil chain pump rail needed to be installed in the right way and the rest is super easy . following is a picture that describe my question.
Thanks in Advance
Hamza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_094016_resized.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2445079  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 AM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, I am sure our resident experts will chime in.
In the meantime, here are some old threads from the forum archive (google custom search, top right) re M117 oil pump chain & guides https://www.benzworld.org/forums/gts...chain%20guides
From the clean look in your picture, it looks as if you are well on your way.

It has been quite a few years since we did the M117's top and bottom chains, sprockets, and guides + rebuild oil pump at the time.
Earlier removal of lower and upper oil pan revealed the grate under the oil pumps suction part to be surprisingly full of crud and plastic bits.

Before all that, I had unusual wear of distributor rotors, finally diagnosed to worn out snail gear also driven by the same chains, which wasn't too hard to change with chains/guides/oil pump removed.
That's what you lower the distributors drive on the bottom into (before adjusting ignition timing).
Best of luck.

Last edited by Teutone; 08-03-2018 at 01:49 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:44 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Welcome to BenzWorld Hanza!

Here is all I could find in the MBCDs covering replacement of that item.. It is at the bottom of the PDF..

I wish there was more..

MBL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05-340.pdf (641.7 KB, 13 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 500SEC EURO Germany
87 560SEC USA 49 State Version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
In your picture the guide is resting in the wrong hole. The rail should be able to swing back and forth. See attached picture. I replaced the oil pump chain rail when I had the timing cover off on my '88 560SEC. Also replaced the chain with an IWIS that had the removable link. Getting the cover back on and ensuring the guide is not getting in the way is a little tricky but doable. Of course it is made much easier if the you have the upper sump off. Once the cover was back on I turned the motor over by hand to wind the chain on to the crank sprocket. Next I installed the guide tensioner spring, placed the oil pump gear in the chain and while pulling down on the gear, mated it to the oil pump. I bolted the oil pump to the block followed by the bolt that holds on the oil pump gear. Let me know if that helps and if you have any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TimingCvr08.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2445183  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwayMB View Post
In your picture the guide is resting in the wrong hole. The rail should be able to swing back and forth. See attached picture. I replaced the oil pump chain rail when I had the timing cover off on my '88 560SEC. Also replaced the chain with an IWIS that had the removable link. Getting the cover back on and ensuring the guide is not getting in the way is a little tricky but doable. Of course it is made much easier if the you have the upper sump off. Once the cover was back on I turned the motor over by hand to wind the chain on to the crank sprocket. Next I installed the guide tensioner spring, placed the oil pump gear in the chain and while pulling down on the gear, mated it to the oil pump. I bolted the oil pump to the block followed by the bolt that holds on the oil pump gear. Let me know if that helps and if you have any other questions.
hi, this rail is the old one the new one will be installed according to your instructions
yes I have : I want to know is this rail must be swinging or positioned then tighten the bolt so it will stay in one place ?
in my case I have several options since front cover + bottom pan+ secondary pan are removed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL87560SEC View Post
Welcome to BenzWorld Hanza!

Here is all I could find in the MBCDs covering replacement of that item.. It is at the bottom of the PDF..

I wish there was more..
MBL
hi , I will have a deep look @ it
thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Welcome to the forum, I am sure our resident experts will chime in.
In the meantime, here are some old threads from the forum archive (google custom search, top right) re M117 oil pump chain & guides https://www.benzworld.org/forums/gts...chain%20guides
From the clean look in your picture, it looks as if you are well on your way.

It has been quite a few years since we did the M117's top and bottom chains, sprockets, and guides + rebuild oil pump at the time.
Earlier removal of lower and upper oil pan revealed the grate under the oil pumps suction part to be surprisingly full of crud and plastic bits.

Before all that, I had unusual wear of distributor rotors, finally diagnosed to worn out snail gear also driven by the same chains, which wasn't too hard to change with chains/guides/oil pump removed.
That's what you lower the distributors drive on the bottom into (before adjusting ignition timing).
Best of luck.
hi thanks for your important notes especially the rotor ware I will inspect it tomorrow morning. my main reason to rebuild , if we can call it that way , is that the engine has worn spark plug threads plus idel issues , but when I took the heads off I was happy I did that because I have retired gaskets. I will make another thread about my rebuild and I will mention important things that I face while doing this job
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
The rail swings on the dowel. It needs to be in the down position once the front cover is installed. I still had the upper sump on my engine so it was a little tricking keeping the rail below the crank but above the bottom of the timing cover so it could slip over the top of the sump.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwayMB View Post
The rail swings on the dowel. It needs to be in the down position once the front cover is installed. I still had the upper sump on my engine so it was a little tricking keeping the rail below the crank but above the bottom of the timing cover so it could slip over the top of the sump.
got it
I also forgot to mention that I bought the IWIS chain that had the removable link which will make the job easier .
my plan will be as follows : (correct me if I am mistaken please)
first I will install the rail in front cover tail facing down. next oil pump after inspection will be installed in the front cover. after that I will hang the chain in the crank shaft sprocket and the two ends of the chain will be facing downward ,toward the pump. then I will fit back the front cover .finally, crank shaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket will be joined with the chain.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Your plan is 99% correct. You will want to join the chain together and then attach the sprocket and chain to the oil pump. You will have to pull down on it while working it on to the pump to overcome the spring of the chain rail. Let us know how it works out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
hi friends
today i installed the rail , pump and chain . please have a look @ the video and confirm my work
thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
up for video revision post #9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in