32k miles 1991 560SEC BaT... - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1988 560 sec
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
I know I don’t speak for everyone, probably not for most , very good chance just for me but this is becoming embarrassing.

It’s just a guy selling a car, and a nice one at that.
bflobob8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
I have never ever seen bw members actively try to hurt someone’s sale of their w126, Till now .
I’m quite ashamed and disappointed to see this is what fellow w126 owners want to do to another owner .

Poopooing a car ad here amongst ourselves is one thing , but poopooing it where it’s being sold and can reduce the sales price is nothing more then bitter jealousy. You can spin it however you like , such as trying to educate the buyers as to what they are getting into , but not a single person here is a legitimate bidder on this car and it’s all jealousy .

People can polish up their cars all they want , there is no substitute for low mileage originality . That’s why this car is now at $40,000
gogi and bflobob8 like this.
post #63 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Premium Member
Hear hear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Premium Member
I think it's a combination of a good economy and they reached the 25 year mark and they are damned good cars that have been under the radar for a long time. BAT played no small role.
post #65 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
All the 80s iconic European cars have taken off in value. First it was the Porsches , then the early bmw m3 and m6 , then the r107 SL , now the w126.
post #66 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
Dick waving is a thing. Now with worldwide internet exposure!
post #67 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
I have never ever seen bw members actively try to hurt someoneís sale of their w126, Till now .
Iím quite ashamed and disappointed, but not a single person here is a legitimate bidder on this car and itís all jealousy .
People can polish up their cars all they want , there is no substitute for low mileage originality . Thatís why this car is now at $40,000
Amen. This car is at $40k despite some people here trying to hinder this guys auction.
GreenT likes this.
post #68 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
None of the comments are going to hinder this auction or any other. People who know the cars see what they see and bid accordingly. Revealing or critical comments are not going to make people reconsider placing a bid. Suggesting that people are jealous and purposely attempting to torpedo an auction by posting negative comments is laughable. That's totally bogus and simply won't happen. This isn't the playground at preschool.

For that matter, there have been times when critical comments have revealed issues that either the seller or a bidder was not aware of. Now they are, and can deal with the situation as they feel the need. There have even been instances on BAT where commenters have brought things to light that exposed cars that were not properly represented. Their intent wasn't to kill the auction, it was to flag something that wasn't represented properly. I would be grateful for this if I was a potential bidder.

For example - how's about W140 wiring harness insulation, or potentially failing AC evaporators in W124s? We know these issues all too well, but not every bidder might have that depth of knowledge or have gone to the trouble to research the car they're interested in. Now they know and with that additional information can consider it along with their potential purchase.

As Ralph pointed out, picking nits is a part of the auction process. Like he stated, I've learned a great deal about other cars by watching and reading the comments. When I have made comments or observations on auctions, whether I was a direct participant or not, they have been based on direct experience and are intended to point out issues, both good and bad, of the subject.

People really need to unknot their shorts and stop rending their clothes over this. Really.
post #69 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
The fellas from 500e board also chimed in. Seems they have their own thread to nit pick. ...let the guy sell his car... Who ever bids to win knows what he is getting into and let's just see what happens.

I'm just happy this will raise the value of mycars I plan to never sell anyways...

But I'm open to offers on the sec. U hear
GreenT likes this.
post #70 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2016
Vehicle: 85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
I am just glad I found an SEC literally the moment I got back from China (thanks to some members here who pointed it out). The prices on the coupes will continue to rise and that was making me nuts. Now I can relax and just breeeeaaatthhhh.

With the kind of money the car in question is now up to I think the final owner will have the kind of pockets where he doesn't care if he will have to drop 10 grand into maintenance costs (and no doubt, he will). The car will end up in a garage and driven 100 miles a year, at best. To me that is a shame, but deep pocketed folks have to buy something for fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in