post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1984 380SL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaiser View Post
One year later and I am back at the power steering gearbox project. I am rebuilding the unit that came off of my parts vehicle that I disassembled last Summer. I managed to acquire a 64mm crow foot wrench from a swap shop that I ground to a slightly larger opening. It did the job. I have many steps ahead of me and I will update as I proceed.
Kudos to you for trying this.

I'm too much of a wimp and opted for buying one from a rebuilder and swapping out the core. Lots of little goodies and things to go wrong.

Fun fact: that special "bullet" shaped nut that holds the steering gear in place isn't 100% necessary. I was able to use regular hex bolt to ease in putting it all back together. Since you're doing the full monty though, I would probably opt to grind down the bolt into the bullet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Hi Tom,

Don't know if this might assist..

I have the steering box recondition pdf from MB for you if you need..

Unfortunately, it's 2.6mb, too large to upload.

Shoot me a PM w your email if you'd like it sent your way.

M.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91 500SEC EURO Germany
87 560SEC USA 49 State Version
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2019
Vehicle: 1990 500SE AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
mine is leaking so this is a great thread but after seeing the number of bits and seals and such i think i'm going to opt for a reman . This is a great thread though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinyourhead View Post
mine is leaking so this is a great thread but after seeing the number of bits and seals and such i think i'm going to opt for a reman . This is a great thread though.
If you do, I bought my box from these guys:

https://www.carsteering.com/

Not only do they send you a nice and shiny box, they'll also send you a free return label so you don't have to pay the shipping costs for the core return!

Make sure you carefully remove the hose fittings from the old box onto the new one. I had my high pressure one break when torquing down. Made me super angry and had to go to a salvage yard. Guy was nice enough to give me a new one for free saving me from having to wait for a new one from the fatherland.
iliveinyourhead likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
If you do, I bought my box from these guys:

https://www.carsteering.com/

Not only do they send you a nice and shiny box, they'll also send you a free return label so you don't have to pay the shipping costs for the core return!

Make sure you carefully remove the hose fittings from the old box onto the new one. I had my high pressure one break when torquing down. Made me super angry and had to go to a salvage yard. Guy was nice enough to give me a new one for free saving me from having to wait for a new one from the fatherland.
Has anyone else used them or have you had issues with your replacement? From what i read on here C&M was the 'go to' for remans. CarSteering seems much better priced.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinyourhead View Post
Has anyone else used them or have you had issues with your replacement? From what i read on here C&M was the 'go to' for remans. CarSteering seems much better priced.
I've used them and no I haven't had any issues. I daily drive my 380sl and have put on about 3k mile since replacement back in December.

Play is exactly one inch at the wheel after I renewed all of my steering components from coupler all the way down to tie rods.

I failed in my efforts to reduce the size of the steering box rebuild and reseal FSM article.

So I uploaded it to megaupload. Hope this links stays put for people in the future: https://megaupload.nz/V9Qav8X2m8/46-220_pdf
MBL87560SEC likes this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1989 SEL 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I have no experience with the site megaupload.nz I backed out when it started asking for a login.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I took a look at the carsteering.com website. Their price is definitely attractive but I am always concerned when a company does not supply an actual physical address on their site. Maybe I missed it? Their description of the rebuild process is impressive. My knowledge of C&M came from a local MB trained indie mechanic that has replaced dozens of steering boxes without any issues. As I mentioned in another post that to the best of my knowledge C&M only refurbishes Mercedes steering boxes. It appears carsteering.com provides steering boxes and rack&pinion systems for nearly every make and model of passenger automobiles. So my question is "who are these guys"? As they state being a wholesaler maybe they broker all these parts from other vendors? Maybe C&M is a supplier to carsteering.com? That would be a wonderful find if true. Worth investigating, but if they actually rebuild every steering box for all the makes and models on their website they are really one giant operation. Just my observation and opinion. Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 560 SEC Supercharged - 317+ rwhp - H&R lowered - OZ 3 piece staggered wheels - upgraded brakes - AMG Tri-Y's - Bergwerks FGS - a true Euro Rod

1981 500SE euro AMG
1985 euro 500SEC
1986 560 SEC
1985 500SEL
1989 560SEC
1990 560SEL
1987 euro 560SEL 300hp 822 engine option
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaiser View Post
I have no experience with the site megaupload.nz I backed out when it started asking for a login.
Weird, it let me download immediately without any login prompt.

Can anyone else confirm? I might just make a public file on some FTP I have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbigdaddy View Post
I took a look at the carsteering.com website. Their price is definitely attractive but I am always concerned when a company does not supply an actual physical address on their site. Maybe I missed it? Their description of the rebuild process is impressive. My knowledge of C&M came from a local MB trained indie mechanic that has replaced dozens of steering boxes without any issues. As I mentioned in another post that to the best of my knowledge C&M only refurbishes Mercedes steering boxes. It appears carsteering.com provides steering boxes and rack&pinion systems for nearly every make and model of passenger automobiles. So my question is "who are these guys"? As they state being a wholesaler maybe they broker all these parts from other vendors? Maybe C&M is a supplier to carsteering.com? That would be a wonderful find if true. Worth investigating, but if they actually rebuild every steering box for all the makes and models on their website they are really one giant operation. Just my observation and opinion. Mike
I have no idea if C&M sells their products on that site. I'll be honest, a lot of my repairs happen to go to the lowest bidder on parts for obvious reasons. C&M probably does a stand up job, but I can't pay Gucci parts prices for rebuilds. I very rarely buy OEM products as well.

Car Steering was super attractive to me because they had a return label. Meaning zero costs to ship the box back to them. That's significant because a steering box weighs a ton.

So far, the steering box has done its job admirably. No leaks and is well within spec. I'm happy to be the guinea pig for the morbidly curious

If it helps, the free return label for my core return had this address on it:

Car Steering
1261 Aviation BLVD
Hebron KY 41048
ianrandom likes this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
MU can sometimes throw popups and be misleading.

I cannot get the file to shrink below 2.7mb which is .8mb larger than it can be for posting on as an attachment so here is a link for anyone needing 46-220
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mb...0qnlHbBo02oC5K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in