Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1983-2007 MB's
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corellian corvette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
Nice color combo and what a difference those 16s make...

I don't think I've seen 16" versions of these wheels before?

Also - looks like part of this car has been repainted? Either the front or the rear. The hood/fenders are lighter color.
These are wheels off the early 90-93 R129 300/500SL’s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #852 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 10616 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corellian corvette View Post
I don't think I've seen 16" versions of these wheels before?

Also - looks like part of this car has been repainted? Either the front or the rear. The hood/fenders are lighter color.

Roland has them on his 500SEL, I believe they are R129 wheels.

From the listing...

Quote:
The car is finished in Light Ivory (623) with grey lower body cladding and polished trim, bumper caps, and window surrounds. Close-up photos are provided in the gallery to show two paint chips and scuffs on the lower bumpers and side moldings. The seller notes that paintwork has been performed on several sections of the car.
post #853 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Hi all, very reluctantly I've decided to sell my 300SE. It just appeared BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...es-benz-300se/

Feel free to ask any questions over there. I'm in DC and welcome any in person viewings.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #854 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
looks nice, i approve the color
post #855 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtome190e View Post
Hi all, very reluctantly I've decided to sell my 300SE. It just appeared BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...es-benz-300se/

Feel free to ask any questions over there. I'm in DC and welcome any in person viewings.

Craig
Wow! I probably should keep my mouth shut but looking at the photos along with reading early remarks from the gallery the engine compartment is a complete disaster. And then to follow up with the sellers rationale that the dirt/condition is from a failing hood pad and the owner has one which he will include with the sale? Lazy? I can replace a hood pad in less than an hour, an amateur in maybe 2+ hours. I have replaced 7-8 hood pads so far this year and none of the engine compartments looked this bad prior to my work. A decent detail shop would have replaced the hood pad and cleaned the engine compartment for around $2-300. The result of poor preparation for BaT will result in final bids of $1500-3000 less than what the car should fetch. Buyers look for well kept "loved" cars (or at least ones that appear that way), with this one a buyer may fear what is under all this dirt? As the days past it will be obvious that I'm not the only one with this opinion. Whether it is BaT, Ebay or whatever the cars with the best presentation bring the $$$'s the others fall short of expectations. Car has the bones, but between the enhanced HDR photos, mileage and items mentioned above the final hammer will not be pleasant. Mike
AxelWulff, GreenT and Doc Zinger like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 560 SEC Supercharged - 317+ rwhp - H&R lowered - OZ 3 piece staggered wheels - upgraded brakes - AMG Tri-Y's - Bergwerks FGS - a true Euro Rod

1981 500SE euro AMG
1985 euro 500SEC
1986 560 SEC
1985 500SEL
1989 560SEC
1990 560SEL
1987 euro 560SEL 300hp 822 engine option
post #856 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

I find the hyperbole over the dust in the engine compartment to be a bit weird. To call it a “disaster” is over the top.

I had the hood pad on order and it arrived during a period in which I have been exceptionally busy with work. Any spare moment I have had of late has been spent on minor fixes on the E39 I just picked up.

I am not a dealer. I am not a detailer. I am just a guy who loves old German cars, daily drives a w126 and is looking to part with it. I have been a long time reader and contributor to this forum and whenever I have posted about other people’s cars I have always tried to be helpful and supportive, as others have been to me.

The vitriol already on display is saddening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bflobob8 likes this.
post #857 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC Black on Grey
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Premium Member
Lets give the guy a break, everyone is not a professional when it comes to selling cars. Some just don't have the time or the garage space to do it themselves or more likely don't really think its going to matter all that much. BAT accepted it so they must feel like it's presented honestly. My guess is the seller is an honest guy just trying to sell a car and this is what it looks like. That doesn't mean the criticism is wrong as the way it is presented matters to a lot of people.
GLWTS!
bsclifton and OKC Jeff like this.
post #858 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 10616 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not a dealer. I am not a detailer. I am just a guy who loves old German cars, daily drives a w126 and is looking to part with it. I have been a long time reader and contributor to this forum and whenever I have posted about other people’s cars I have always tried to be helpful and supportive, as others have been to me.

The vitriol already on display is saddening.

Calm down. It's all constructive criticism because we all care about these cars and collectively cringe when we see something that could easily be fixed not being done.

We don't know the reasons why but it's fair game to question and/or criticize it. That you consider that 'vitriol' is disappointing, it was clearly an issue at BAT well before you posted the link here.
bsclifton likes this.
post #859 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

One user on here accused me of being lazy (!!!!). I am not lazy. I am just a busy person, like many of us, and I didn't attend to a a minor cosmetic issue because I had to prioritize other more pressing matters than cleaning a bit of dirt in the engine bay.

A commentator on BaT said that the dusty bay suggested I was a neglectful owner. That's insane. Like a lot of us on here and BaT, I adore my car. I spend an inordinate amount of time with it. Every time I drive it, I listen obsessively for any weird noises (literally, it has become a running joke with my wife) and I keep an eye on every component, making sure everything works properly. I have always prioritized mechanical repairs above all else because I rely on the car as a daily driver.

When the A/C quit working at the end of the summer, I went out the very next day and immediately dropped a grand on the repair to fix it, even though fall was arriving and I didn't really need to fix it. Because I can't bear to drive the car with something not working.

I understand that by putting the car in the public domain I have to expect some critical commentary. And I'm all for constructive criticism that is offered kindly and supportively. The ad hominem comments above and on BaT do not fall into that category.

Last edited by newtome190e; 11-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.
post #860 of 1179 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
One user on here accused me of being lazy (!!!!). I am not lazy. I am just a busy person, like many of us, and I didn't attend to a a minor cosmetic issue because I had to prioritize other more pressing matters than cleaning a bit of dirt in the engine bay.

A commentator on BaT said that the dusty bay suggested I was a neglectful owner. That's insane. Like a lot of us on here and BaT, I adore my car. I spend an inordinate amount of time with it. Every time I drive it, I listen obsessively for any weird noises (literally, it has become a running joke with my wife) and I keep an eye on every component, making sure it everything works properly. I have always prioritized mechanical repairs above all else because I rely on the car as a daily driver.

When the A/C quit working at the end of the summer, I went out the very next day and immediately dropped a grand on the repair to fix it, even though fall was arriving and I didn't really need to fix it. Because I can't bear to drive the car with something not working.

I understand that by putting the car in the public domain I have to expect some critical commentary. And I'm all for constructive criticism that is offered kindly and supportively. The ad hominem comments above and on BaT do not fall into that category.
I believe the criticism is fair - you can easily hire a local detail company to get all cleanliness aspects of your car sorted for ~$200 USD and it'll eliminate all of those comments. When all potential buyers have to go off of are pictures, they're going to examine all the details and speculate (or ask questions). Details like the hood pad (and that you also admit you're busy) might have the potential buyers thinking "Well, if he's too busy to do that, I wonder what other routine maintenance items he was too busy for?" (motor/transmission mounts, fuel filter, rotors, etc). That's why the folks on BaT (or other online auctions) like to see service records addressing those specific concerns
GreenT likes this.

1991 560SEC; 145,187 miles
2013 GL550; 99,960 miles

Previous cars
2007 S550; 146,541 miles (sold)
2009 C300; 95,861 miles (sold)
2006 S430; 101,719 miles (sold)
2001 SL500; 114,032 miles (sold)
1986 560SEL; 150,276 miles (hit by drunk driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in