post #141 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
It became obvious the new bushings were not going to slide in and they are not stout enough to be hammered on. The solution is to use something that could pull them together. In my case, a piece of all thread, some washers, and nuts. After a few minutes the bushings were perfectly seated and re-assembly was the opposite of disassembly. Final torque at 180nm and it was another job done.

Today was so productive that I have run out of new parts to install. I am waiting for my control arms to come back from Roy in Georgia as I have taken him up on his offer to install the new bushings in to them. Once they arrive I should only need a day to put everything back together. I will also need to go through the process of filling the transmission back to spec. I am really eager to see how the car sits with the cut springs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IdlerBush07.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2482938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdlerBush08.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2482940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdlerBush09.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2482942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdlerBush10.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2482944  
slownrusty and 281lxm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:01 PM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Great posts and good clear pics - another job well done on the bucket list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #143 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwayMB View Post
After several attempts to install the bolt in the same direction as it came out, I did what others did, turned it around, and installed it.
The correct way:

The 1/3 of the firewall (the firewall is actually three distinct pieces) has to be removed -the driver side portion. It is held in place only by 4 self-tapping screws. Once that part is removed, the area opens up a lot and offers access to that bolt.

When a bolt is tightened (any bolt for that matter, especially if it is supposed to be torqued to a specific value), the bolt is held in place and the nut is the one to be rotated. The reason that bolt is installed that way is because if the nut is to be placed in between the firewalls it cannot be tightened because the (torque) wrench does not have enough room to be maneuvered there (brake lines, cables, A/C hoses, etc.). So keeping those two last statements in mind, to install the bolt from the front and torque it while holding the nut in place in between the two firewalls (like everybody appear to do) is not the correct way. To avoid that, the Germans installed the bolt pointing to the front of the car, held the bolt in place with a wrench between the two firewalls and tightened the nut in the engine compartment, where there was plenty of room to maneuver a torque wrench. That's the reason the bolt is installed that way.

Of course, once the portion of the firewall is removed some cleaning can be done too. To reinstall it is only a matter of 10-15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5642.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2483432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5635.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2483434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Haha there is always logic to German Engineering and they covered it all in the 80's with the W126 chassis.
It still amazes me how thorough they were with every component.
We talked about this only yesterday (Sunday) at Classic Cars & Coffee Meet where some 300-400 cars turn up as a minimum every month and as we inspect so many classic makes/models it is soon apparent how well built an 80's Mercedes is compared many other cars of the same period.

by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #145 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It always amazes me how Liviu 165 chimes in with all the facts and the rationale behind them. Then he explains everything in a simple easy to understand manner.

KUDO'S to Liviu 165 and the many other outstanding contributors here on BenzWorld

The "machine" is live and well!

1989 560 SEC Supercharged - 317+ rwhp - H&R lowered - OZ 3 piece staggered wheels - upgraded brakes - AMG Tri-Y's - Bergwerks FGS - a true Euro Rod

1981 500SE euro AMG
1985 euro 500SEC
1986 560 SEC
1985 500SEL
1989 560SEC
1990 560SEL
1987 euro 560SEL 300hp 822 engine option
post #146 of 170 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thank you. I am just trying to bring my modest contribution to the forum.
post #147 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I received my lower control arms back from @liviu165 last week. I took him up on his offer to press the new control arm bushings in with his tool and he did an outstanding job. They look like they were done at the factory. Thank you so much Roy! For anyone that is curious, shipping a pair of control arms and new bushings weighs 18.7 pounds.

With an open weekend in front of me I set about reinstalling everything that was left on the front suspension. Working with new and clean parts is such a joy and I knew all the tricks and order all the parts needed to go in. Don't get me wrong, after re-assembling both sides, I was whooped. New bushings for that connect the control rod to the control arm were installed. In addition to all the new parts I ordered, I picked up a set of nearly new OEM spec Bilstein front shocks from a fellow 560SEC owner that moved on to H&R springs and B8 shocks. Cleaning and painting the original shock piston covers took place last weekend and came out alright. If I ever have it apart again I will apply a few more light coats. Everything went together as expected with no drama.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewCABush01.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2486484   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewCABush02.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2486486   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewCABush03.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	2486488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done01.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2486490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done02.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2486492  

luckymike and liviu165 like this.
post #148 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
With the wheels back on the car and the car on the ground, I adjusted my lower control arms to line up with the marks I made when I disassembled everything. All of the weight dependent fasteners were torqued to spec, battery tray, and battery reinstalled. I woke up this morning to set about filling the transmission to spec. With 4.5 quarts poured in I started the car and back it out. After going over the center cable cover of my life and the lip of the garage floor, the front suspension settled. As I got out to look at the final result I was a bit surprised. I was not expecting it to be as low as it was and I am so glad I err'd on the side of caution and only cut 2 coils out of the springs. I went through the process of driving, checking, and filling the transmission to spec.

We were under the threat of rain most of the day and I also needed to work on my daily driver before the weekend was out so I snapped some quick pictures. The lowered front end changes the entire look of the car. Its actually a little too low for me but its growing on me. I still love the 16" BBS wheels and have no plans to change them out. I will adjust the threaded arm for the SLS valve to bring the rear down a little to make the car sit level. The driver side also sits just a hair lower than the passenger side and in my opinion, the passenger side is perfect. I have a new spring insulator and may pull the driver side spring and install it. The alignment is really close just the way it is but I want to resolve the driver side spring issue before getting it aligned.

Initial driving impressions are great. It feels like a new car. I did not drive it very far but did get up to 60 and it was rock solid. Once I get the driver side spring sorted, level the car out, and get it aligned, I will get some better pictures under better conditions. For now, the project is 99% done and I am digging the results. It is going to look great at Radwood!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Done03.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	2486508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done04.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2486510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done06.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2486512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done07.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2486522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done08.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2486524  

AxelWulff, KRH, luckymike and 3 others like this.
post #149 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
nice job. what is the center to wheel to fender height as it is on each side right now

why do you think one side ended up higher/lower?

you will enjoy radwood

one of the organizers, art has/had a dunkel blue 500sec with bbs

1985 500SEL Euro Nautic Blue - A Classic Beauty
1985 500SEC Euro Nautic Blue
1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Silver Anniversary Edition
2012 E63 AMG Iridium Silver - Performance Package
post #150 of 170 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwayMB View Post
With the wheels back on the car and the car on the ground, I adjusted my lower control arms to line up with the marks I made when I disassembled everything. All of the weight dependent fasteners were torqued to spec, battery tray, and battery reinstalled. I woke up this morning to set about filling the transmission to spec. With 4.5 quarts poured in I started the car and back it out. After going over the center cable cover of my life and the lip of the garage floor, the front suspension settled. As I got out to look at the final result I was a bit surprised. I was not expecting it to be as low as it was and I am so glad I err'd on the side of caution and only cut 2 coils out of the springs. I went through the process of driving, checking, and filling the transmission to spec.

We were under the threat of rain most of the day and I also needed to work on my daily driver before the weekend was out so I snapped some quick pictures. The lowered front end changes the entire look of the car. Its actually a little too low for me but its growing on me. I still love the 16" BBS wheels and have no plans to change them out. I will adjust the threaded arm for the SLS valve to bring the rear down a little to make the car sit level. The driver side also sits just a hair lower than the passenger side and in my opinion, the passenger side is perfect. I have a new spring insulator and may pull the driver side spring and install it. The alignment is really close just the way it is but I want to resolve the driver side spring issue before getting it aligned.

Initial driving impressions are great. It feels like a new car. I did not drive it very far but did get up to 60 and it was rock solid. Once I get the driver side spring sorted, level the car out, and get it aligned, I will get some better pictures under better conditions. For now, the project is 99% done and I am digging the results. It is going to look great at Radwood!
If lowering the rear via the SLS valve actually does bring the rear down, don't be surprised if the front comes up a little. Don't understand why that happens but it does. At least on my SEC and SEL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in