Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Awesome find - as always there's a backstory to everything. How did the seller come about it - was he a previous 126 owner?
I wondered the same thing, bondavi, so I asked. Turns out it was hanging around a shop the guy used to work at years ago. It was removed from a customer's car and never reinstalled for some reason.

He had had it sitting around for about six years and decided to sell it. He knew what if was for and I suspect would have installed it on his own SEL if it hadn't been recently totaled while parked in front of his house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
With a lowered car and or
AMG lips, you learn real quick when to stop short or back into a spot.
PANZR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
This plate is to protect the lower engine components from scraping the ground or cobblestones being hurled up at a high velocity. I suppose it protects from other debris but that would be a secondary benefit.

Iíve never seen one like that. I wonder what the OPís looks like.

Both the 300se cars Iíve got/parted have had rectangular plastic protectors under the engine but donít look like this. I guess wat I have are my skid plates. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My signature:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post

Both the 300se cars Iíve got/parted have had rectangular plastic protectors under the engine but donít look like this. I guess wat I have are my skid plates. Correct?

Hi Fonzi,

There were 2 versions of the W126 skid plate. One is a short version and another is a long version. The long version also protects the radiator, where as the short one just protects the oil pan. Both versions are made of thick-gauge steel.

The plastic covers that were seen on diesel models and some other models were not designed to be used as skid plates. Its primarily to keep things clean and may have some sound-deadening benefits. My Euro 190E has a plastic cover, but there was also a metal skid plate that was far more durable.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.

1980 Mercedes 280TE AMG
1990 Mercedes 560SEL with AMG parts modifications
1991 Mercedes 190E AMG with Brabus 4-cyl M102 2.6
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post

Fonzi, I'll be posting some pics. Waiting on some hardware and on the use of a friend's rack.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
W124 plastic just for Aero

I believe the W124 plastic underbelly tray was purely for aero benefits. To clean up the underside airflow = better MPG.

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymike View Post
Fonzi, I'll be posting some pics. Waiting on some hardware and on the use of a friend's rack.
Mike - I use a double layer of 4x4 I cut into 12" lengths to set the plate on in the general position, then lift it up on each side with a small 2x4 while I start each bolt. Be sure to use both flat and lock washers. I don't have a lift, but you need two people or a transmission type jack to steady this awkwardly heavy steal plate. And if you have the long version as I do, be sure to position the leading edge between the bumper and radiator before bolting it down.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
Mike - I use a double layer of 4x4 I cut into 12" lengths to set the plate on in the general position, then lift it up on each side with a small 2x4 while I start each bolt. Be sure to use both flat and lock washers. I don't have a lift, but you need two people or a transmission type jack to steady this awkwardly heavy steal plate. And if you have the long version as I do, be sure to position the leading edge between the bumper and radiator before bolting it down.
Your comments about weight are very interesting. Before purchasing the skidplate, I jacked up my car and slid under to see if and where it would match up with bolt holes.

I had no trouble holding it in place while on my back and with one free hand. And I'm not unusually strong, either. Makes me wonder if your longer version is not only longer but is also thicker. FYI, there's a Mercedes part sticker on my skidplate so I'm confident it's a factory item.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Its heavy steel, but more awkward while on your back trying to line it up as a solo under a jacked up car. (with chocked wheels and resting on stands) Maybe my nervousness under the car makes the plate weigh more. LOL

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1983-2007 MB's
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
This reminded me of a post our fellow friend cascade wrote back in the day (9-6-2011). Thought this was good to share with those who wonder on the whats and why's of a skid plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Well, the metal factory skid plate for my 1991 w126 560 SEC cost $125 ordered back in 1995 and they are NLA for that series since about 2003.

Good news for me that they are still available for the W124 series.

The reason I want one for the 124 I bought about a month ago as my driver is that it has turned out to be sensational as a car and good looking too.

The metal skid plates really do work.

About 2 years ago I was driving about 10:30 at night up Gilman Avenue in Berkeley to meet a woman at Ashkenaz (a dance club in Berkeley) wjenm I crested
a dark unlit rise in the road and hit some railroad tracks at 40 mph in my lowered 560 SEC.

BANG !!!!

The car hit that full on!

But the skid plate saved the oil pan, though the pan above the skid plate was badly nched above the skid plate.

For that I went to my local Mercedes Benz dealer (they are a good one, fortunately) and they removed the plate and hammered it out straight as best possible (it was a tremendous hit) and replaced the lower oil pan (I believe it cost about $699 for that part as I recall)

But it was worth it, and worth having the skid plate, it saved the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in