post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1983 300SD (x2), 1989 560SEC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
560SEC Exhaust options

This is mostly to get what will probably be an in-depth discussion off of the craigslist thread where it's starting to form up.

Euro logs are better for torque? I'm really looking for an in-town car. I've got my SD for any appreciable highway driving, along with other vehicles. I know it's not a groundpounder, but I'm looking for more of a muscle car effect than a tourer.

If that's the case, they might be better for me anyway.

Would it generally be a DIY for an out of practice old hobby wrencher?

Straight pipes back to a dual-in-dual-out muffler? Stock? Magnaflow? Any crossover?

Any sensors or anything I need to worry about?

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This was my response from the CL ads thread, before deleting my post:

I am not an expert in exhaust systems, but I'll give it a try: the tri-y's allow for more power at higher RPMs while logs allow for more torque at lower RPM. It really depends on how you plan on driving your car. For me, because I will not race the car and I envisioned that most of my driving will be below 3000 RPM, I decided that the logs will be a better choice (not to mention the difference in price). I bought the car for pleasure, the engines are hard to find because they are not manufactured anymore, so I plan on using the car carefully. Therefore, I chose logs. For racing I would had bought a Mustang and installed headers.

What Jono says is true, but at what RPM is that 25-30 HP gain? I am sure is not below 3000 RPM.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
In a separate (email) discussion with member KRH from Australia, the comparison of torque vs. power and RPM was brought up. I am hoping he and others will comment, I don't feel I have the necessary expertise to make more steps in this direction.

Regarding additional parts: obviously the cat will be gone (which is an additional plus) and a new pipe will have to be made to join the two downpipes to the resonators. Since a muffler shop would get involved, removing the resonators and increasing the length of the two pipes to join the rear muffler was the path I was considering. This way a lot of restrictions gone. Combine this with a K&N filter and voila: HP and sound of an engine breathing easier. The muffler shop would have to install an 'X' section where a fitting would be welded to receive the O2 sensor. For a bit more money a better muffler would be a very nice touch. That was pretty much my plan for an eye catching street car with more muscle and distinctive sound.

Not sure what the final cost would have been, I was guessing close to 1.5 k with logs and downpipes included, a nice muffler with chrome tips and the work of a muffler shop. I was planning to install the logs myself and temporarily connect them with flexible exhaust tubes to the rest of the exhaust, to be able to drive the car to the muffler shop where the work would have completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Garage
If I may jump in here with a little of "hands on experience" I swapped my entire exhaust, logs, pipes, and muffler from the parts car. The passenger side log was a breeze to install, driver side, meh, ya gotta remove or move a few things around/ outta the way. Tightening them to the engine requires both above and below access (not a problem with a stone cold engine). The O2 sensor was fitted in the passenger downpipe right about where it was on the factory setup. Khigh, I don't know if you are in the Metro, I'm not, so smog checks aren't required. I don't know if what I have is a cat or a resonator plus the muffler. See the pics and you'll get an idea of what you'll need to do on that. The center section is hung by regular rubber hangers with clamps bolted to the rear edge of the tunnel heat shield

Oh, one other thing you'll need to get, junk yard is best bet. The passenger side pipe heat shield and modify it to fit the left side. I don't know the part number for the proper item or if MB even carries that shield but I did see it listed on EPC for Euro cars with the logs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manifolds Ready To Install.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2280538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side Finished.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	2280546   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0009.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	2280554   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0010.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2280562  

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL

Last edited by wooky_chew_bacca; 10-03-2017 at 09:58 PM.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
His car has different resonators, a. k. a. "kidneys". The picture is from my 420SEL, but his stock exhaust is the same as the one in the picture.

In entire GA, including Atlanta metro, emission tests are not required for any car older than 25 years. I just registered my '91 few weeks ago and emission was not required. In GA we can do whatever we want to the exhaust of any W126/C126.

EDIT: The logs look nice when they are coated. My logs are not coated. Did you coat them yourself, or you had a shop do it for you? If you had a shop do it for you, how much did it cost?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	2280570  

Last edited by liviu165; 10-03-2017 at 10:01 PM.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviu165 View Post
His car has different resonators, a. k. a. "kidneys". The picture is from my 420SEL, but his stock exhaust is the same as the one in the picture.

In entire GA, including Atlanta metro, emission tests are not required for any car older than 25 years. I just registered my '91 few weeks ago and emission was not required. In GA we can do whatever we want to the exhaust of any W126/C126.

EDIT: The logs look nice when they are coated. My logs are not coated. Did you coat them yourself, or you had a shop do it for you? If you had a shop do it for you, how much did it cost?
I love this site, learn something new every time I come on here Yeah I had kidneys too, they came out with the rest of the factory exhaust. I wasn't sure about the Ga smog laws but I do know out here where I live we don't have to be checked at all.

Thanks, I used "VHT Flame Proof" header paint, some sort of ceramic coat. Once applied you have to go through a few heat/cool cycles to cure it, it's all on the can. It smokes a bit at first so best to do it outside or with the garage door open. After the cure you're good to go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Out With The Old and In With The Newer.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2280586  

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2017
Vehicle: 1983 300SD (x2), 1989 560SEC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OK, so I have this weird system of a crossover right at the manifolds going into a "front muffler" and then out to dual pipes? I'm no German engineer, but that doesn't make sense to me. The Euro log system makes much more sense.

I'm pretty much all in on the manifolds. Thanks for offering. It would be next week before I could meet, though. Beyond that I'm pretty open.

I have a coater right near me I'd use. Not sure their specs compared to say Jet Hot, but if they're at all competitive, I'd rather do no shipping and support local business as well. The manifolds would be hard, but I'd be tempted to coat AND wrap the downpipes to cool both the engine compartment and cabin.

I'm also interested in hearing what other people have done doing an exhaust from scratch past the downpipes. My gut says take it back straight to a dual in/out Magnaflow, but which one? I'd like to have a bit of a "German Muscle" vibe going on, but don't want to blow past that and hit "old pickup truck"

Also I understand some setups benefit power/tone wise from either a straight or "X" crossover. Would this be advantageous?
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
The crossover pipe style is on all US version. The "front muffler" I think is actually the catalytic. The front portion of the exhaust is (IMO) where it is really "chocked".

Next week is fine. I am in no rush, and like I said I am not making any profit on them. PM me next week, when you are ready. Next week is actually better for me, my boss is in vacation so I have a bit more flexibility schedule wise. If by chance anybody on the forum wants to buy them in the mean time (I already had an inquiry), as a courtesy to you I will let you know and offer you the final choice on them. If not they'll go on EBay by the end of the year for a higher price.

On the straight vs X pipe: probably a custom exhaust shop will offer you a very detailed answer.

Your gut feeling is right. KRH was suggesting a particular muffler, but I can't find his email. If he is not commenting here, send him a PM, he will reply to you. He is a very nice guy and very knowledgeable too.

I've done wrapping of the exhaust in the past on a different engine (Jeep L6 engine) and boy, that DID add a nice touch to the sound. However be careful how far you go with the wrap under the car so it does not get wet when you drive on rain, or rust will finish it.
Currumbin SL likes this.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I just spent loads on a custom system for my SE, it sounds very nice and no drone. It has a silencer on each of the dual pipes, leading into a Magnaflow rear. There's an X pipe too.
Is lovely but expensive.

My SEC has straight pipes, an X plumbed in, back to the original rear silencer. It sounds gorgeous and I suspect was a whole lot cheaper. Done by the previous owner. Slight drone here and there but in general a lovely noise, nice burble and great at WOT without being over the top.

Both cars have the log style manifolds.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khigh View Post

I'm also interested in hearing what other people have done doing an exhaust from scratch past the downpipes. My gut says take it back straight to a dual in/out Magnaflow, but which one? I'd like to have a bit of a "German Muscle" vibe going on, but don't want to blow past that and hit "old pickup truck"

Also I understand some setups benefit power/tone wise from either a straight or "X" crossover. Would this be advantageous?
Hi there khigh,

Initially, mine came with the eurologs, single downpipes L&R, feeding a massive great euro catalyst.

When I planned the Tri-Y install this Summer, I too entertained the idea of custom cat delete / custom front pipe on my euro 500SEC.

As it turned out, this was muuuch easier and cost effective to install the already engineered MB non-cat front pipe from Europe. A 'cat delete pipe' if you will.. A nice long x lets the left & right flows communicate...

As the overall system design is quite a departure from stock USA fare, you may also benefit from a couple of transmission to front pipe steady brackets & clamps... You will have one similar such on your 560 but you will notice it is designed for twin pipes to the right.. rather than the one on each side design you are considering.

Front Pipe: A 126 490 74 19

Steady Brackets: A 201 492 49 41

U Clamp [single pipe]: A 201 492 04 27

FYI: I run the Tri-Ys into that front pipe, feeding the kidney beans resonator, followed by the stock rear muffler.

Have fun!

MBL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1435(1).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2281337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Pics.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2281345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2281353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2281633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2281641  

Last edited by MBL87560SEC; 10-05-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in