Help with W126 Scoop Air Flap Vacuum Pod - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I previously reported that I was finally able to replace all six vacuum pods on my 300SE. What a ton of work, but I'm glad I did it; I resolved the major problem of no air through the front center vents, but I have not yet been able to fully resolve the matter of A/C air coming through the defrost vents at the windshield.

On two separate occasions—I'll call them both flukes—the system somehow managed to close the defrost flap while I was driving, but that turned out to be an exception; most of the time the defrost vents still blow air while the system is set to Auto (center button).

So I decided to check the lines coming from the solenoid switchover valves. I removed each one from the valve and then, with my MightyVac, tested the line from the switch to the respective actuator pod. The good news is all but one held tight during a two-minute vacuum test of each (please see attached photo). You may recall that I did the pod replacement without removing the dash cover, and now that I've buttoned everything back up it's difficult to tell which line goes to which pod. (Yes, I've learned the hard way not to clean up my mess until I know everything is working correctly!)

My problem is that in all the places I've looked online, I can't find a diagram that tells me which of the switchover lines attaches to which pod, and in this case switch outlet #5 in particular. Which raises my question: Can anyone provide me with information on what pod is controlled by each of these seven valves? There are these colored circles on the switchover valve, but I'm not smart enough to deduce what they mean.

I'm kind of excited to know that I have a leak in only one line, and I suspect it's likely the rubber nipple that attaches to the pod. But which pod connects to switchover value #5?! I'm guessing it's either Recirc or one of the two fresh air pods, but I can't be sure.

Once I solve for that leak, I'm hoping my system will work as designed—at least until I have to replace something like my monovalve or the auxiliary water pump.

As always, thanks, gents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid switch.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2220609  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
OK here is the numbering system for you top to bottom:

Pos 1 - Fresh/Recirc Short Stroke
Pos 2 - Fresh/Recirc Long Stroke
Pos 3 - Legroom Flaps
Pos 4 - Center Outlet Flap (Use a Y combine lines 4 and 7 to Pos 4 to prevent windscreen frost on Auto)
Pos 5 - Defroster, Long Stroke
Pos 6 - Diverter
Pos 7 - Defroster, Short Stroke (cap this off)
Strassenkreuzer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.

Last edited by 281lxm; 07-25-2017 at 05:08 AM.
post #63 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 281lxm View Post
OK here is the numbering system for you top to bottom:

Pos 1 - Fresh/Recirc Short Stroke
Pos 2 - Fresh/Recirc Long Stroke
Pos 3 - Legroom Flaps
Pos 4 - Center Outlet Flap (Use a Y combine lines 4 and 7 to Pos 4 to prevent windscreen frost on Auto)
Pos 5 - Defroster, Long Stroke
Pos 6 - Diverter
Pos 7 - Defroster, Short Stroke (cap this off)
Perfect. Thanks for this! I can now go replace the rubber connectors on this pod and re-test. Will probably be a few days because I have to determine which connector it needs and then order accordingly. But I'll post results when I'm done.

One other question about Pos 6 - Diverter: Is this aka the "scoop air" pod near the accelerator pedal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I believe that to be true. That's why I said very early on that if you mightyvac that pod, you may get a sandstorm of debris flowing out the center vents at a high rate of speed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #65 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I believe that to be true. That's why I said very early on that if you mightyvac that pod, you may get a sandstorm of debris flowing out the center vents at a high rate of speed!
Well, when I did my tests yesterday—MightyVac'ing each line/pod by removing the nipple from the solenoid switch—I did them with the engine/HVAC off, and it was only Pod 5, the defrost pod, that failed to hold vacuum for my two-minute tests. Matter of fact, its vacuum fell off precipitously and was back at zero in mere seconds.

Given that all the other pods are holding vacuum, and given that the failed pod is a defrost pod, I'm hesitant to think that I'm gonna get a bunch of debris flowing through the center when I replace 5's connector...assuming, of course, that it's the source of the leak. But we'll see. I'm kind of excited to get this repair done. The good news is that I don't have to tear apart the under-dash and glove box assemblies, as the defrost pod is behind the center console. Less work.
post #66 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
No matter where I looked on the Interwebz I couldn't find a simple diagram that showed me which solenoid switch outputs go to which vacuum pods. @281lxm pulled through with an explanation of what each pod does, so I took that a step further and I've created the attached diagram that hopefully serves as a reference for anyone else who's undertaking a dive into the wooly world of W126 HVAC. Yes, there's a multi-page explanation of what each pod does under the differing HVAC circumstances, but I wanted something that was succinct and easily referenced.

Thanks to @281lxm , @KRH , @mclare , @MBL87560SEC , and @wooky_chew_bacca for all your technical input with this project of mine. Once I get the vacuum leak associated with Pod 5 resolved, I hope I'm in good shape—until the next thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid switch.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2221361  
post #67 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Can anyone give me a link to a place where I can buy two elbow connectors for the defroster pod—or alternatively, a length of hose of the right dimensions that will fit these pods. I seem to recall seeing a link somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Will this work—does anyone know? http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0079976182

Thanks.
post #68 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Answered your other post but here you go 201-805-01-03 for elbows and there are 12

Last edited by 281lxm; 07-26-2017 at 06:11 AM.
post #69 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Answered your other post
Muchas gracias!
post #70 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:14 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassenkreuzer View Post
Can anyone give me a link to a place where I can buy two elbow connectors for the defroster pod—or alternatively, a length of hose of the right dimensions that will fit these pods. I seem to recall seeing a link somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Will this work—does anyone know? http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0079976182

Thanks.
Hi there,

If not yet answered, here is the source I have researched & used for this..

Vacuum Line: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC Base Coupe 126.045 5.6L V8 - Parts Search

Rubber Vacuum Connectors: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC Base Coupe 126.045 5.6L V8 - Parts Search

Cheers & good luck,

MBL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in