Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Installing new front sub frame bushings

Can others tell me how you installed the front large subframe bushings? These are the ones that hold the contron arm rod to the frame. I have tried a press but they just distort. I did get them started which was not easy and now the are about 3/4 of the way in. Knowing Mercedes there is a special tool. A threaded rod would do the same as a press so that is not the answer. My guess is there is some special trick. A search did not turn up anything helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
My guess is there is some special trick.
Yep, there is one indeed, it always is ...

At HFT you will find this kit (can't remember its name now, but if you are interested I can look it up at home). I used one adapter, can't remember what size. To push them in I used a 5/8" threaded rod (or was it 1/2", or maybe 3/8" ? - anyway chose the biggest size that can fit through the hole) with nuts and washers from Lowes and a solution of 50/50 water/dish soap. The trick is that when pushing the new ones in you have to guide them or they will not go in straight, they will cock and jam (at one end the bushings have an appropriate hole in the center, that's the end where you will push them from, but at the other end -the leading end- the hole in the bushing is much larger so it has no guidance). Therefore, as you push it in w/o guidance, it will cock and will not go in any more. That's your problem, I had it too. Apply the trick and you'll be fine, the pictures prove it.

The "trick": Have a closer look at the picture where you see a grey adapter, picture # 2 (is nothing else but a tube that fills the hole and keeps the rod centered with the bushing. Once I did that, the tube kept the bushing guided and because of the water+soap (last picture) it went in like a charm. Build your own adapter from whatever you can find (wood is fine too). If interested I can post pictures of what I used tonight.

To achieve the required height per FRM, I gave it a "touch' at the end with the manual press. When measured with the depth caliper, I was right on the money.

Other magicians may have other tricks, but that was mine and it worked out for me very well. I cleaned them up a bit and gave them a black paint before installing. Don't they look pretty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2202202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2202210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4289.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	2202218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4305.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2202226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2202242  

Last edited by liviu165; 06-30-2017 at 06:57 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I used a press and plenty of Sil-Glyde. They slid right in.
mramay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
My DIY rig is similar - 1/2" threaded rod and a couple plywood plates. I use silicone grease as the lube. The big box hardware stores might have it but I get mine at a scuba shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clamp1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2202802  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Wow, you took the time to cut the plywood into round pieces!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Normally I do not make public when I mess up but maybe this will help others. I tried everything to get the second bushing in, including a large press. When I used it the bushing simply bulged out like a muffin top belly. I even resorted to chamfering the rubber bushing thinking it would help. Well here is the problem and solution. When I viewed the parts on line, I saw the pics, used the part number and ordered two. I only ordered two since I was only going to do one side at a time. Well yesterday I happened to look so I could order one for the one I recently butchered up and notice that there are actually two separate bushings, not one. What I had was simply two of the same part number, not the two separate ones I should have ordered. So I assume one is a tad larger than another. I post this so others won't make the same mistake. In total when you order its two of one part number and two of another. When I get the right one in I hope using your info will make it easy. I will let you know. Now to go an press the trashed one out............
flosshilde and lesguy like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
Normally I do not make public when I mess up but maybe this will help others. I tried everything to get the second bushing in, including a large press. When I used it the bushing simply bulged out like a muffin top belly. I even resorted to chamfering the rubber bushing thinking it would help. Well here is the problem and solution. When I viewed the parts on line, I saw the pics, used the part number and ordered two. I only ordered two since I was only going to do one side at a time. Well yesterday I happened to look so I could order one for the one I recently butchered up and notice that there are actually two separate bushings, not one. What I had was simply two of the same part number, not the two separate ones I should have ordered. So I assume one is a tad larger than another. I post this so others won't make the same mistake. In total when you order its two of one part number and two of another. When I get the right one in I hope using your info will make it easy. I will let you know. Now to go an press the trashed one out............
Stutz, very good of you to mention this error. I'm sure it will help people in the future.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 420SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hello Stutz
What is the reason you are replacing the bushings? Bad vibration?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
When I was doing oth,er things and was moving the linkages by hand I saw slight movement. Since I had replaced everything else and that these are relatively cheap I figured I might as well. Remember I already had it apart for the brake control rod bushing. So now I have new springs, new call joints, new idler arm, the upper control arms and bushings, new sway bar bushings,(only one side) and brake control arm bushings. Tie rods looked new so I left them for now. Basically a front end rebuild. I also replaced the wheel bearings and seals and the antilock brake sensors. Should have a new car feel I hope.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Don't feel bad about your error, you are not alone, you are just more honest that others. I can't tell for sure if there is a difference in size judging by the picture.

Also, note please that the consistency of the rubber is different in between the two bushings, and in the event that both diameters are the same a potential mistake can be made as to which goes where. For clarification I added the second picture with the part before replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4283.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2203530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4276.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2203538  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in