Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwayMB View Post
The bushings were in tact with no physical signs of wear or damage. However, they are 30+ years old and now I am thinking I should pull them off and replace the bushings since now will be the most convenient time since the rest of the front suspension is off the car.
If the bushings are really good and not distored or have cracked rubber, you may want to let them be. Installing new bushings is not a funny job, although not rocket science either. I call this type of job "just a matter of inconvenience".

The main reason the carriers (dog bones) have bushings is to isolate the front tire road noise from the body of the car (especially when braking), so there is less noise in the car. One thing to watch for is cracked aluminum bushing core where the bolts go thoughout the bushing (the SEL had one with the aluminum cracked). I changed them (all four) on the SEL and the SEC because I like things done right and once only, although the ones on the SEC were in good shape. A set is not cheap either, IIRC I paid ~ $220/set of four MB bushings. To make things go faster, I got a used set of dog bones from the JY, I installed new bushings and when time came I just swapped the ones on the SEC with the ones from the JY reworked (one evening job).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you @liviu165 The dog bones were in good shape and the bushings did not show any damage or extreme softness so they are will stay.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2018
Vehicle: 1982 300SD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Installed a bushing the redneck way. I didn't have any special tools, so I lined up, and use the the hitch of my truck and a rolling jack as a makeshift press.

It took all the weight of my truck to press that damn thing in....
wooky_chew_bacca and lesguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CYL300SD View Post
Installed a bushing the redneck way. I didn't have any special tools, so I lined up, and use the the hitch of my truck and a rolling jack as a makeshift press.

It took all the weight of my truck to press that damn thing in....
Don't feel bad there 5CYL, the "redneck way" is a common way to do things around here. There is another term you'll likely see (maybe even be "accused" of being ), "Bottom Feeder". I proudly wear that tag as well. Ya just do what ya gotta do to keep these fine road machines on the road instead of in a museum and off the scrap heap

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in