Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL, 1991 560SEC
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Finally I am considering buying a … 560SEC

Hi Gang,

As the title says, I am considering buying a 560SEC. This summer I will build a carport outside, move one car out of my garage and that will free up a spot. That’s where the 560SEC will reside.

I am mentioning it here because some of you may be at a point in your life (or get close to it) where you may want to part with your beloved 560SEC to pursue other dreams. So, it is very possible you may want to sell, or know of somebody wanting to sell, and at the same time I may want to buy…

This is what I have in mind:

Exterior/Interior: Darker exterior colors with lighter interiors are preferred: Black or Black Pearl/Mushroom, Midnight Blue/Palomino, Silver/Blue, Olive Green/Palomino. White and red exteriors are not among my favorites, but I will not totally exclude them, will decide on a case by case base.

Mileage: preferred 85k-140k

Modifications: None if possible, I mostly prefer the car to be as it left the factory except Euro lights and/or Penta wheels but willing to consider from case to case other modifications already made (different exhaust, moon roof, stronger sway bar, etc.). I am not a fan of Euro bumpers which I do not find them appealing nor I think they protect the car better than the US version.

Condition: Very good to Excellent. Paint is original with minimum scratches/dents/dings. Rust free is a must (some superficial and limited rust may be accepted under the car). Everything works on the car, although not as good as it was when new. A/C is preferred to be on R12, but is not a must.

Maintenance: Receipts for all maintenance from MB specialized/accredited shop(s) appreciated. If you did the repairs yourself then receipts for the parts showing the brand used. If you did not do the timing chain and guides yet, even better: I prefer to do them myself along with valve seals and oiler rail supports.

Other: ASR is excluded, so are the cars lowered (I am not a fan of the “perfect stance” that actually brings the oil pan closer to the asphalt). You need to be willing to accept a PIP at the location of my choice, for which I will pay. If your car has something known that has to be fixed and is not major, it’s okay too, as long as we know precisely what that is (for example needs new ball joints, needs the front oil seal replaced, needs the engine mounts replaced, needs a new water pump, has a sticking caliper, needs new brake pads & rotors, needs a new battery soon, antenna mast jammed, etc.). I know how to hold a wrench, so I am not afraid to do the work myself. Even a leaking steering gear might be okay, as long as the rest checks out and the car is very good looking.

As you have already figured by now, this would be a very good looking car that was taken care of so far, which I assure you it will be getting at least the same attention from here on, if not even more. Basically the paint and its appearance has to be as good as possible because I am not good with paints. PM me if you have something or know of anybody having one …

Thanks

Last edited by liviu165; 05-05-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '98 SL500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
What's your price range hoss?
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Price I would be willing to pay will be according to the overall quality of the vehicle offered.

Edit: If you have one you are considering selling, please PM me.

Last edited by liviu165; 05-05-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Wow! "Considering" it, huh. I'll bet that will have them jumping out of the weeds to show you how their cars stack up to your specifications.
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I am looking in several places, but thought of mentioning it here too. Either someone comes forward or not we'll see. And yes, I am indeed "considering" buying ... with cash in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr Evil.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	2158346  
wooky_chew_bacca and Lagonia like this.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Garage
Wanting a coupe for fun driving and still have the saloon for family jaunts eh ? Good deal, good luck with your search (no, mine isn't for sale AND it doesn't meet several of your criteria such as lowered and bumpers to name two)

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooky_chew_bacca View Post
Wanting a coupe for fun driving and still have the saloon for family jaunts eh ?
Yes, that is pretty much the intention, you got it right ... again. I have parts and tools, so why not go for a second one, right?

I am in no rush, I have time to wait, I would like to get one by the end of the year. Here is an example that caught my eye. Although few thousands overpriced, if I would be in the area I would look at it: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=172451985.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Perhaps we should speak..

PM sent.

MBL
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
This is proving to be more interesting that I initially thought. Will keep you updated as new things occur…

First I would like to thank the members that contacted me with offers or ad ideas. I very much appreciate their help. As I look at more and more car ads, based on what I have seen so far here, EBay, Craigslist, BAT and other sites, I think what I am looking for is in the range 8-10k. I think that answers post #2 too. I am okay with that price range for the quality I am looking for. Considering that I plan this to be my last purchase and I have time to look for a higher (than average) end car, the quality of the car is most important.

I placed some Craigslist wanted ads in other states too and here is where the fun part starts. To my surprise I had a lady texting me from Alabama to ask me if I don’t want some Mercedes parts (all new, in original packaging). Sure why not, we’ll see where this goes, she said she’ll send me a list of the parts. I am not a fan of placing the wagon before the horses, but what the heck, I’ll do it once to see how it ends… If I don’t have the car, at least maybe I get some spare parts, right?

Then (based on my Craigslist ads) there’s somebody letting me know that the car I am looking for is actually at ... Mason Motors in Spartanburg (they have two!). Well, based on what I see on their web site I am not sure about that, but at least I know where some SEC parts can be found.

Finally, I get one text message about a car on EBay, 104k miles. The car was a beauty once upon a time, but now it has rust and unfortunately its interior is below my expectations. What a pity, it could have been a very nice car if it was well taken care of.

Well, that’s it for now. I don’t plan on turning this into a 23 pages thread, but I thought some updates were interesting enough to share them with you.
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
You have found what many before you already know. You can buy all of the $8000 560SEC's you want. If you put in the next $6000 they need, they will then be worth . . . you guessed it. $8000. May I suggest that you start with a budget of $15,000 and work on talking a $20,000 coupe owner down to $15000. It id hard to get $20000 for a 560 coupe even with low miles. Otherwise, you just have a car with a list of to-do items which will cost much and add little. And, even on a 15000 car there will still be a few thousand of stuff needed beyond elbow grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in