Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1988 500 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking 88' 560 SEL - 4 seater from Poland

Hello everyone,

As this is my first post on this forum, I would like to say hello to all members and users I appologise for my english, I hadn't use it for a long time so it may be a bit "glitchy"

This thread will be about my 1988 560 SEL, hope that I will find answers for my questions about issues that for sure will appear while using the car. That will do for my introduction, now few words about the car

I bought it some time ago, and since then I try to restore it to it's former MB glory. So far I've coped with most of rust and some minor mechanical stuff (car was in fairly good condition, despite the PO used the car with LPG). As soon as I realised how rare are the additional options, the car was a "must have" (only to mention 2 axle NIVO - not operational - the car seats od regular springs but got all 4 jacks with the car and 4 seats). So here's the star of this thread

The first pic of my S class just after I bought it, the foto opportunity was a total random episode just an ordinary view of late 90's euro youngtimers

As you can see, the car was painted by one of the PO and still has those awfull cheap AMG "wannabees"... later I found a cool set od BBS RS wheels

So that would be it for now I'm still working on too high idle problem... few days ago, my ignition tumbler broke down for good... I'm waiting for a spare (the one that broke down had "the strange, non existing part number" 126 462 01 79) ... still lots needs to be done If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will try to answer
benzitch, PANZR, ianrandom and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1989 SEL 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to the board. No apology needed; your English is better than many of us that speak/write English.
Evilaseq likes this.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to The Machine Evilaseq. That looks to be a fine ride you have there and I agree the BBS wheels look much better especially with the body color. I'm trying to remember about those rear seats, are they power reclining ? That would be so cool too. Be "glad" that the tumbler set gave out now instead of when you were off on a roadtrip, I replaced mine just a week or so after buying the car and upon taking it out for replacement it fell to pieces.

As Tom said, your English is better than some here so no worries on that. Again, Welcome, there are many fine folks here and boatloads of info at your fingertips with a search, also many repairs can be found in the DIY sticky near the top of the page

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:25 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
++ on the Welcome
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1988 500 SEC
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
THX for the good words guys

The seats in the rear are electrically adjustable, they lack electric heating but this option wasn't factory installed, I slowly think about retrofitting it, if I find original heating elements of course

When I studied the web about the tumbler problems, I felt blessed that it "fup" on my parking spot just before planned short run around the city. When I got it out the car (the proper MB way, without grinding and cutting) I recalled that it caused some problems just after i bought the car... the only thing I've done then was making a new key, problems ended so I stopped worrying aobout it.
7 months later, tumbler was a total junk, it fallen apart just after removing it from the steering wheel locking mechanism.

I've ordered a spare one but I'm still kinda worried. The new tumbler will have different key, there are small chances that I will be able to fit the new tumbler to old key (wich fits all locks).
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
Yeah an unmatched key would suck, don't know about your side of the pond but a dealer should be able to get you a matched tumbler with a new key with the VIN number

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'02 S-10 Truck

Dif-tor heh smusma
LOL
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 65 220SEb, 97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!

Just so you understand, seat heaters were part of the upholstery itself, that is, they were installed between the layers of leather and cloth that was put together to make the seat coverings. It's not just a matter of getting the heating elements, as you would have to deconstruct the upholstery to get them in.

Here in the US, and I'm sure in Europe, there are companies that sell seat heating retrofit kits. They are not expensive (here) and are rather easy to install.

Here is one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O
Powodzenia!

Dan
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: '84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Nice car, nice color, nice wheels but I'm scared to click on your pictures.

Quote:
High Risk Website Blocked
Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
Return to the page you were previously viewing.
Evilaseq likes this.

.... Don't mess with old farts - - age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Gone and almost forgotten......
'96 E320
'79 450 SEL
'78 300 CD
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Garage
I had no trouble with his pics, just had to open one at a time

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'02 S-10 Truck

Dif-tor heh smusma
LOL
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Nice car, and great color.

Enjoy driving it! Is the color Anthracite 172?
Evilaseq likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in