Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
The star emblem removal is done?
Yup. Here is a closeup

And, here are some pictures from an event called "Skierniewice classics - end of the season". Lots of nice cars took part in the event, few MBs including 3 type 126 - 2x SEC and mine SEL. I've made few pictures using my poor phone camera, the better quality ones are made by Zbudniewek Fotografie.

I also have one question - some time ago, on this forum, there was a topic about kickdown button modification, so you can turn it on or off with a regular dash button - does anyone know where I can find the topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:50 PM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Here you go-
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...revisited.html

The original write-up with diagrams was posted up in the DIY section that has heaps of great info that people forget to read. This article is page 7 /post 64
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...ml#post2945502
Tom Kaiser and Evilaseq like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1988 500 SEC
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Kim, thanks for posting the links to "kickdown tweak" topic I really don't know how to figure out the 4 pin KD switch, but I know that the dash button will look something like this

Today I've also changed the seal under the windshield, old one was in very bad shape, the new one isn't an exact replacement but I think it looks good and does it job. It was also very very cheap

Old seal after 30 years of service...

... and the new seal after placing it on car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Before the winter, I've started "The parcel shelf saga"... I've planned it as a rather quick and easy job, that should be completed in a couple of weeks - I was so wrong. The shelf was a total mess, the upholstery was very damaged by moisture and sunrays... the only good thing that one could do was to rip it away and put a new one. After ripping off the old material, I've discovered that actually my shelf was not one but several pieces with some parts missing, so the next step was getting it all together

Next obstacle was placed by my local upholsterer - he couldn't find the proper material to replace the old one. After few weeks, he gave up and returned the shelf and electric blind without doing anything... So I've started searching for alternative method of bringing it to its proper state. After a few days I found a method called "flocking", as it was the only option I decided to give it a try. You can see the results on the pictures below

And here's the final result, of course there are some small things that still need to be installed but the shelf is almost ready, the blind is working... I think that I can call this a success

During the installation I've made some photos of my rear seats, I think that some of users can make use with them (Kim!!!)

As always, when You do one step forward, You'll probably have to one step back... after morning ride... I've discovered that my rear windshield cracked. The crack is only on the external part of the shield... but I assume that it won't hold the next winter... I'll have to replace it this year...

ianrandom and Currumbin SL like this.
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Headlight wipers - my car had them from the moment I bought it, but unfortunately their condition was far from witch I desired. The wipers were moving, but the sprayers weren't working and the rubber on the wipers was in such state that one could suspect that they had not been replaced for 30 years. Recently, I decided to do something with it, as best as I could. Firstly I have ordered new headlight covers and headlight sprayers pump. In the meantime, I was taking care of arms and wiper blades. Due to the price of new ones in the MB dealership, I've regenerated wiper blades using new rubbers (from regular wiper blades that I bought in normal auto parts shop), the arms were cleaned of corrosion and painted. Of course I needed to buy some minor parts in the dealership - like thin wiper fluid wires. I've assembled all parts and, now I wait for better weather to install them on the car

Old wiper blade:

Wiper blade after regeneration:

Comparsion of the old and new rubber:

Self assembly kit, before and after assembling
post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
One picture can say more than a thousand words... so... here's comparison of old and new headlight cover (in the rear you can see a complete headlight with new cover).

And a short video with effects of the headlight wipers restoration

And of course a small question... The red colored elements on those pictures are some kind of radiator/ cooler - is it the oil cooling pipe for NIVO suspension?? I can't figure any other use for this pipe...

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So after several months, some news... mostly good news, but there is always a catch...
The car took big part in my wedding...

... it took me to my honeymoon trip...

... and when I was coming back home, something really bad happened... f***ing VW Golf stopped on my trunk when I was about 100 km from home... damn... I was crying like a little girl My wife and Me were totally OK, but the car done what a car needs to do in that kind of cases - it took the shot and protected the passengers...

Damage was severe, whole trunk part was dislocated, both C pillars were damaged, also the trunk floor was heavily deformed. Front of the car was also heavily damaged - the force of the impact pushed me into the car that was standing in front of me... so the freshly redone right headlamp was tottaled, radiator cracked and dropped out all coolant it also blocked the fan so i was unable to start the engine... hood was bent and... agrhhh lots of smaller things were just crap... all because some young chick was texting on her phone instead paying attention to the road...

All in all I've decided to sell the car in the state as it was after the crash... there were too many things needed to be redone till the car could safely get back on the road... only things I left for myself were the airbox with air ducts and BBS rims...

Some time after... when I mentally recovered, I was hungry for a next star... so... the choice was rather easy - a 500 SEC

... but this I think it deserves a new topic so maybe in some time I'll try to write something about it
bflobob8 likes this.
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 AM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Gee i am glad to hear you both were ok.
The amount of rear enders over here is out of control due to younger people checking their phones and texts and texting back whilst driving - it is just insane how inattentive and addicted to social media on their phones whilst at the wheel of a car which is a lethal weapon when things go horribly wrong.

We have had some recent cases where lives have been lost because of this and the court sentence is Jail for manslaughter.
The most recent a young girl was receiving and texting continuously to her boyfriend whilst on the freeway driving at 100kmh (60mph) and veered 4 lanes and hit an oncoming car killing her girlfriend who was sitting in the front passenger seat, she was jailed for 6yrs and even that is not long enough for taking someones life over a stupid phone.

Social media and driving a car at the same time are a lethal mix but it does not stop people doing it every day at the wheel of a car.
Evilaseq likes this.

by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
Gee i am glad to hear you both were ok.
The amount of rear enders over here is out of control due to younger people checking their phones and texts and texting back whilst driving - it is just insane how inattentive and addicted to social media on their phones whilst at the wheel of a car which is a lethal weapon when things go horribly wrong.

We have had some recent cases where lives have been lost because of this and the court sentence is Jail for manslaughter.
The most recent a young girl was receiving and texting continuously to her boyfriend whilst on the freeway driving at 100kmh (60mph) and veered 4 lanes and hit an oncoming car killing her girlfriend who was sitting in the front passenger seat, she was jailed for 6yrs and even that is not long enough for taking someones life over a stupid phone.

Social media and driving a car at the same time are a lethal mix but it does not stop people doing it every day at the wheel of a car.
After my accident I think, that after "drinking and driving" and speeding, rear ending should be third most penalized traffic violation. It's wrong when you drive recklessly, loose control of your car and crash into something or - worse into someone... but it's f***ing out of "wrong-o-meter scale" when you crash into a sanding car in the middle of residential area without any braking attempt at full speed - it's like the worst violation against the simplest traffic law which says "pay attention where are you going"... Girl from VW was fined - 600 PLN and some penalty points (probably 6), cost of repairs only for my car was estimated by insurance company to over 70 000 PLN, while the value of my car before the crash was estimated at 35 000 PLN - now You know why I was so pissed off...
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2012
Vehicle: 1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
That is sad... Such a nice example has been written off. But such is life, shrug it all off and off to the next one. Congrats for the wedding and the SEC!
Evilaseq likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in