post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2015
Vehicle: 1982 Euro Mercedes 500SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The solution to a manual 500/560?

was browsing the internet for m117 manual transmission conversions, and found this site. anyone ever hear of these guys before?

Home - M-B V8conversions
LWB250 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
POS
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeah, those are the best guys around. They'll do the install or they'll sell you a kit. Good people with a good reputation.
EuroMerk likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
Yeah, those are the best guys around. They'll do the install or they'll sell you a kit. Good people with a good reputation.
sounds good, looks like I`ll be contacting them for shipping a kit to Canada, hopefully they`re able to tell me which transmission and associated bits ill need for a complete swap for 1982 500 sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Been there done that with Martyn, very good guys. Unfortunately the adapter he designed was only for the RHD market on the 5speed Mercedes and getrag units. If I recall correctly the conversation I had with him last year, we could not squeeze the steering box and starter onto the driver side, and that especially could not happen with my Tri Y's that I dropped in this winter.

However, he did develop a 6 speed adapter plate off the W203/R170 cars that can be used in either LHD or RHD cars. The two issues were production time, his machinist was backed up on orders and that the tail of the transmission depending on the chassis application may require a slight trans tunnel modification becuase he did one already on a w123(or was it a R107) and the word tight could not be justify the tolerances he had left. I'll dig up the emails later. I believe I last left off with him on checking in later this year becuase neither he nor I knew if the trans would clear in a w126 yet, but if it did I would line up! The Guys in Peachparts have actively been designing their own and have made quite a bit of progress, but nowhere near as complete as Martyns sets.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrem3 View Post
Been there done that with Martyn, very good guys. Unfortunately the adapter he designed was only for the RHD market on the 5speed Mercedes and getrag units. If I recall correctly the conversation I had with him last year, we could not squeeze the steering box and starter onto the driver side, and that especially could not happen with my Tri Y's that I dropped in this winter.

However, he did develop a 6 speed adapter plate off the W203/R170 cars that can be used in either LHD or RHD cars. The two issues were production time, his machinist was backed up on orders and that the tail of the transmission depending on the chassis application may require a slight trans tunnel modification becuase he did one already on a w123(or was it a R107) and the word tight could not be justify the tolerances he had left. I'll dig up the emails later. I believe I last left off with him on checking in later this year becuase neither he nor I knew if the trans would clear in a w126 yet, but if it did I would line up! The Guys in Peachparts have actively been designing their own and have made quite a bit of progress, but nowhere near as complete as Martyns sets.
pretty informative, I was actually thinking if a 6 speed from a w203 would work as im eventually planning on buying a w203 with a 6 speed and driving it till it craps out. my sec is an on going project and if the trans tunnel needs a little modification for a 6 speed I wouldnt mind. and speaking of w123, I remember reading up on people who had done the 6 speed swap on a 190e 2.3 (non cosworth, and I believe the w123 230e/ce models used the same engine), and the m112/m113 if I read correctly was a direct swap over with slk or w203 6 speed transmission. and if you dont mind can you post the emails when you have the time along with his email? I remember 48hp had or has a r107 amg with a 5 speed that was done custom by amg using a getrag 265 5 speed
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:44 AM
POS
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Myself and 48hp had the two R107 AMG 5-speed cars. It was a Getrag 265 dogleg mounted to the M117 with a conversion plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in