KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Last week with the school holidays and a lot of city business people taking the week break the freeway into the city was very quiet so i decided to take advantage of the situation and drive to work on Wed,Thurs,Fri in the 560SEL.

I wanted to step back in time and see what it would have felt like for some rich business owners/executives back in the day who were wealthy enough to own these SEL's and use them as their daily business car (a lot with chauffeurs as well).

It was a blast being able to sit on 100kmh all the way into the city and see the face on my car park attendant for our high rise city building underground basement parking when i rocked on in there and the second glances of city drivers as i glided past them on the freeway.

Most are only used to seeing very modern and boring cars that city drivers choose as their daily (Hyundai/suzuki's etc) and to see a long body 80's car is something quite rare for them.

It was fun but only on school holidays when there is no peak hour traffic congestion.

Pic on the front drive and then in my underground parking bay at work

There is something appealing about snaps taken in underground parking bays as a back-drop!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2055449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2055457  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

Last edited by KRH; 01-02-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I love driving mine next to the bland moderns, it makes it seem even more awesome!

Taking it on the channel tunnel train we have here that goes under the English Channel to France was awesome. Bit like an underground car park but long and narrow so they guide you in & you have to drive to the end of the train. The attendants there looked literally stunned. Hehe
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #123 of 143 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
I love driving mine next to the bland moderns, it makes it seem even more awesome!
I took another road trip to see the Doc today (appointment), on the way down and back I was passed (and passed) by several newer Benzs and Beemers, I waved as we passed and all they could do was stare. I'll bet some were thinking "I/we didn't see one of THOSE cars on the lot"

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
During that last W126 meet in a few weeks ago the owner of the Gen2 AMG 560SEL had go-pro camera mounted to his back left window with the camera facing rear and he took some great snaps of the cruise with all the cars out on the streets.
I loaded up some of my white coupe in its own thread he took and here are some cool pics of my Blue 560SEL he snapped on the fly
Crusing the streets 9 by Kim, on Flickr
Cruising the streets 8 by Kim, on Flickr
Cruising the streets 7 by Kim, on Flickr

by

post #125 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Finally a managed to do a short video on the new custom stainless steel exhaust system i had fitted from the Tri-Y's back using two Magnaflow S/Steel mufflers (centre and rear) with a crossover in the rear 17inch muffler and finished off with twin dumpers that are discretely semi hidden under the rear AMG bumper skirt.

I am extremely pleased how the sound turned out with its deep rumble and no drone and no raspy barking at all and it really sounds awesome at idle and when driving as the revs climb and when you back off and when cruising steady it goes pretty quiet, but as soon as you are back on the peddle it lets you know especially when it kicks down a gear. In fact it sounds good no matter what you are doing!!!

Anyway check it out below in the small vid i put together using a gero3 GoPro mounted to the inside rear side window and with all the windows up otherwise the wind noise is terrible with the crap internal camera mic.

I bought a decent external Rode miniature mic but the USB adaptor cable i purchased did not work unfortunately and i will have to buy a proper GoPro brand adapter cable before i can mount the mic at the rear of the car with the 6m extension cable i also purchased to do this. Once i have that sorted i will do another decent video. This Vid was just a trial run and the sound came out nowhere near as good as it sounds live.

I also had the white coupe fitted up with the same custom system but the rear muffler case is only 14inch long (versus 17inch in the SEL) so that system sounds a bit louder that the SEL and when i get time i will record and post a Vid of that system as well (with a decent camera mic sorted by then)

Play the Vid on a decent sound system with volume turned up!!!
Then perhaps add some feedback comments in the youtube Vid on what you reckon.
The car feels a lot more edgy and responsive as well as loosing a lot of weight from removing the factory system underneath.
I think the custom 2.25inch exhaust has made a noticeable difference with definitely no loss of low down torque at all. The rear muffler is 2.50inch.

[IMG]IMG_0726 by Kim, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]IMG_0744 by Kim, on Flickr[/IMG]

by

Last edited by KRH; 07-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #126 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1988 500 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
It's an amazing car, the exhaust system is a "cherry on top"
For me, the sound is a little bit to flat but this can be caused by microphones - most important thing is that You are happy with the final effect
post #127 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
That sounds sweet there Kim

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #128 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds great! I personally love not seeing the tailpipe- having it more hidden like you have it is perfect in my opinion

Beautiful car, Kim

1991 560SEC; 145,187 miles
2013 GL550; 99,960 miles

Previous cars
2007 S550; 146,541 miles (sold)
2009 C300; 95,861 miles (sold)
2006 S430; 101,719 miles (sold)
2001 SL500; 114,032 miles (sold)
1986 560SEL; 150,276 miles (hit by drunk driver)
post #129 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Its the terrible GoPro hero3 crap internal mic.
Trust me it is definitely not flat at all live.
Filmed with all windows up and the camera in its case which cuts the sound even more.
I did a couple of short shots with it mounted outside but had to use the complete sealed camera case otherwise the wind ruined the takes and even then it got bad as soon as the car got over 20kmh so had to edit it out.
I was really peeved off with the GoPro to tell you the truth. Had it for a few years now and hardly used it at all due to poor quality sound.

by

post #130 of 143 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2016
Vehicle: 1988 500 SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
Its the terrible GoPro hero3 crap internal mic. [...] I was really peeved off with the GoPro to tell you the truth. Had it for a few years now and hardly used it at all due to poor quality sound.
Try to buy or make up a GoPro "cat" Maybe it will help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in