post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Amazing we were all pickering over a $7k authentic wide body which (at the time) was unregisterable in CA.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...kyle-jack.html
I think that silver car in that thread was flipped from $12k to $28k by some guy in Oregon . I don't think that one was ever $7k. It was a 5.6ece engine

$28k for that car was way overpriced, even with the repaint and refurbed wheels

I think we did note that the DuPont car , a 6.0sohc Widebody was easily worth $30-35k in 2011
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...e-jack-23.html

This rmsothebys car is a 6.0dohc, the holy grail. So any sale price under $40k will be a steal. It could possibly go much higher though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Amazing we were all pickering over a $7k authentic wide body which (at the time) was unregisterable in CA.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...kyle-jack.html
Which is why I jumped all over the CA-legal 6.0 WB earlier this year.

1988 560SEC Euro Lorinser Clone

Drivetrain/Chassis:
Stock 5.6L US-Spec M117
OEM MB Tri-Y Headers + DPs

Exterior (904);
BBS for Lorinser RSK Wheels 8jX16/9jx16
Gen2 Euro Bumpers Front & Rear
Euro Headlights (Wiper delete) and Blinkers

Interior (274):
Lorinser Leather Steering Wheel
Lorinser Burlwood Shifter Knob
Late Gen2 Seats and Door Cards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
Location: Northern Virginia @ Mount Vernon, the original Ground Zero
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm a fan of Widebodys. The car that's the subject of this thread is pretty damn stunning - and the 6.0 DOHC engine is the cream of the crop. But of all of the WB exterior color schemes I've seen, I find the darker ones the most appealing. Besides that dark just looks better on the WB (IMHO)I think it has to do with the fact that when the body is light colored (and I especially feel that this applies to the color silver) it overemphasizes the generally dark space between the edges of the fenders/wheel cutouts (meaning the whole edge of the entire wheel arch/cutout from end to end) and the lip of the rims (assuming we're talking about silver lipped rims). I think that this results in the cutouts looking too big - and as if they don't "hug" the wheels/tires enough which, in turn, makes the body look like it's sitting too high. I get that the extent to which a car has been lowered can minimize this. But there's still a large "gap" where the arches open out from a simple circular shape at the ends where they're closest to the road that lowering can't compensate for. Look at the pic of the silver car below and maybe you'll get what I'm trying to describe. The other one's a pic of my WB. It's not a straight on side shot of mine, and mine's probably a touch more lowered than the silver one, but my point is that since my whole car is dark colored, the size of the gap between wheels and body - especially at the bottoms of the arches - is less noticeable.

...I have trouble being brief......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1705041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Profile.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1705049  

Enjoy yourself, Marco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lowphat; 12-11-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: '82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Any Widebody FTW!

I'll trade my SEC even if it's pink.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM
KRH
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree with Marco any widebody "is good" but the dark paint does give it that more aggressive and mystique stance and blends any of the panel joins and wheel gap a bit better than the light colours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jays AMG Widebody.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1705225  
oldmako likes this.

by
, on Flickr" border="0" />
87 White Euro 500 "ECE" 265hp SEC
88 Black Euro 560 "RUF"300hp SEC
89 Blue Euro 560 "RUF" 300hp Hydro SEL

post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post

Bull dookie... that's the longest post you've made in the last three years.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltiano32 View Post
Your perception about these being "common" in the states is highly flawed. I wish these were more widely available but they are still very rare especially the 6.0

It only seems that these are common because whenever they get imported from Japan they usually get posted here first since these forums are where the enthusiasts are at which will stir up the most interest.

I'll be attending the auction in January. Anybody else thinking of going?
I'll be bidding via the Internet .
All benzworld and other forum bidders really should
Get together via pm so we don't end up bidding against each other
And raising the price . I know that's probably impossible and someone from gerrys forum will raise the price just to spite us

I have no problem stating I'm willing to bid up to $30,000 for this. If someone plans to bid more let me know so we can coordinate strategy
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2013
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
I agree with Marco any widebody "is good" but the dark paint does give it that more aggressive and mystique stance and blends any of the panel joins and wheel gap a bit better than the light colours
This black car looks great! One of these with a similarly souped up engine would be just fine. I agree with KRH, the darker cars look much better. That Mona, she's a looker!

Last edited by oldmako; 12-12-2015 at 09:04 AM.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
I agree with Road house! Haven't seen a pink one, but that Padgett Red Koening Special that appears from time to time is my Dream Car.

"I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say is not necessarily what I meant!"
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowphat View Post
I'm a fan of Widebodys. The car that's the subject of this thread is pretty damn stunning - and the 6.0 DOHC engine is the cream of the crop. But of all of the WB exterior color schemes I've seen, I find the darker ones the most appealing. Besides that dark just looks better on the WB (IMHO)I think it has to do with the fact that when the body is light colored (and I especially feel that this applies to the color silver) it overemphasizes the generally dark space between the edges of the fenders/wheel cutouts (meaning the whole edge of the entire wheel arch/cutout from end to end) and the lip of the rims (assuming we're talking about silver lipped rims). I think that this results in the cutouts looking too big - and as if they don't "hug" the wheels/tires enough which, in turn, makes the body look like it's sitting too high. I get that the extent to which a car has been lowered can minimize this. But there's still a large "gap" where the arches open out from a simple circular shape at the ends where they're closest to the road that lowering can't compensate for. Look at the pic of the silver car below and maybe you'll get what I'm trying to describe. The other one's a pic of my WB. It's not a straight on side shot of mine, and mine's probably a touch more lowered than the silver one, but my point is that since my whole car is dark colored, the size of the gap between wheels and body - especially at the bottoms of the arches - is less noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
Agreed, there is something about how the darker paint handles the fenders.
Though I must say its refreshing to see a WB that isn't black or Blauschwarz
(Regardless, lowphats example is one of my favorites):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 3.26.22 PM.jpg (26.8 KB, 121 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in