Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/)
-   -   Startup Issues (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/2462057-startup-issues.html)

anthonywclark 09-19-2015 08:34 AM

Startup Issues

Hello everyone.
My daughter has a 1989 300sel(gasoline) straight 6. She purchased this car last year and it ran fine. We had a few minor repairs that needed done. power steering hose leak and had to grease linkage for the acceleration issues.
Recently, she has been having issues on startup. First she had to pump the gas. Then, she had to hold down the gas pedal. Now, this doesn't seem to work half the time. Once the car does start, it idles rough for a second then its fine and drives great after this.
What I need to know is if this is definitely the Idle Control Valve(which I'm replacing) or is there something else I need to look at.
I do plan on replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, and distributor cap and rotor this month.
Please help.

luckymike 09-19-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonywclark (Post 12956049)
Hello everyone.
My daughter has a 1989 300sel(gasoline) straight 6. She purchased this car last year and it ran fine. We had a few minor repairs that needed done. power steering hose leak and had to grease linkage for the acceleration issues.
Recently, she has been having issues on startup. First she had to pump the gas. Then, she had to hold down the gas pedal. Now, this doesn't seem to work half the time. Once the car does start, it idles rough for a second then its fine and drives great after this.
What I need to know is if this is definitely the Idle Control Valve(which I'm replacing) or is there something else I need to look at.
I do plan on replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, and distributor cap and rotor this month.
Please help.

If you know that list of parts is bad or ready for replacement, I'd certainly install them. But if the problem persists, I'd follow the troubleshooting section in the manual: 15-540. If that all checks out okay, then you look at 07.3-121.

GreenT 09-19-2015 09:05 AM

Do the sixes have a fuel accumulator?

anthonywclark 09-19-2015 01:51 PM

I don't recall seeing a fuel accumulator. Wouldn't that be inline with the fuel pump and filter under the tank?

GreenT 09-19-2015 02:10 PM

I'm not familiar with the I6s but a lot a members here have them. Someone will jump in.

anthonywclark 09-19-2015 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I looked online and found several different designs. Some have it in plan sight and some have it hidden behind the fuel filter and pump. I looked and could see anything, but this may change once I start replacing it. I also saw pics of the accumulator being under the air filter. I will check this tomorrow.
IMPORTANT: I have noticed that when I put fuel in the car, I smell gas for a few days. No leaks. Tank is sealed. Gas cap makes a chssshhh noise when opening. The smell goes away after a few days. I did find a hose under the car that has the gas smell coming out. WHAT IS THIS?????

McGavin 09-19-2015 03:07 PM

The fuel smell can be the diaphragm in the fuel regulator, I replaced the one in my M117 with one from a M103 as they shared the same part number, this got rid of my fuel smell. The hard start sounds like a dodgy accumulator, but like GreenT I am unsure of the existence on a six, but I would assume so.

GreenT 09-19-2015 03:15 PM

I found the service manual for the M103.

Mercedes Benz Model 124 - M103 Maintenance Manuals

Vizezeul 09-19-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonywclark (Post 12958137)
I looked online and found several different designs. Some have it in plan sight and some have it hidden behind the fuel filter and pump. I looked and could see anything, but this may change once I start replacing it. I also saw pics of the accumulator being under the air filter. I will check this tomorrow.
IMPORTANT: I have noticed that when I put fuel in the car, I smell gas for a few days. No leaks. Tank is sealed. Gas cap makes a chssshhh noise when opening. The smell goes away after a few days. I did find a hose under the car that has the gas smell coming out. WHAT IS THIS?????

The hose that just cuts off next to the fuel filter is a draining hose. It's connected to the little hole on the bottom-left side of the gas tank. It's meant to drain any fuel that may have dripped out of the nozzle during a fill-up to the ground rather than letting it accumulate in the gas cap area.

I actually discovered it on my 560SEL while I was pouring a fuel additive in the gas tank and it spilt out. I saw that the spilt fluid drained down the hole and exited from the hose.
http://i.imgur.com/fX6fQRj.jpg

anthonywclark 09-19-2015 03:57 PM

Thank you for that update. That makes sense. It appears I will be adding an accumulator and pressure regulator to my list. The repairs are adding up, but a car for $1300, I can't complain.