Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 10619 Post(s)
Bondavi, where's the fuel pressure regulator in that engine?
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1983-2007 MB's
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
On the opposite side of the FD; on passenger level betweeen Cylinders 2 and 4.

On the 560's it is driver's side next to FD.

The line goes through it on the 560, but on the Gen1, a secondary tube is routed out of the FD to the damper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 10619 Post(s)
Thanks, didn't know that.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2017
Vehicle: 1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just redid my EZL paste and the car is running sweet (recent tune-up)with 20 mpg (non-ethanol gas) and rpm at 600 in gear and about 750 in park. So now its time to re-do the two fuel lines from the fuel distributor (FD) to the metal fuel lines (feeder and return).

This is especially true because about two months ago the line connecting the fuel pump to the fuel filter split and several helpful bystanders pointed it out to me. Stop the car, got it towed to the shop and repaired, but I am even more nervous than before about fire hazards. Hence wanting to change the two hoses, one of which is beginning to show cracks.

Bad news: the two hoses are no longer available and would be very expensive if they were.
Good news: after a bit of searching I came across a couple of very useful threads on Benzworld, including this one below from mid-2015 that I am dragging up again.

It seems pretty straightforward. Get a good fuel injection rated 7.5mm inner diameter fuel hose, rolled clamps, and very carefully remove the old hose and sleeves and expose the barb connectors. Appreciate that Lucky Mike, Green T, Wooky_Chew_Bacca, 281lxm, 1mbcdoc, Magic Big Daddy, and others have gone ahead. Before I get started, does anybody have any updates to this process, does it continue to work and any other advice welcome, and what the heck kind of shrink wrap was used as a protective shield where the lines cross the valve cover.
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewpot View Post
It seems pretty straightforward. Get a good fuel injection rated 7.5mm inner diameter fuel hose, rolled clamps, and very carefully remove the old hose and sleeves and expose the barb connectors. Appreciate that Lucky Mike, Green T, Wooky_Chew_Bacca, 281lxm, 1mbcdoc, Magic Big Daddy, and others have gone ahead. Before I get started, does anybody have any updates to this process, does it continue to work and any other advice welcome, and what the heck kind of shrink wrap was used as a protective shield where the lines cross the valve cover.
You are very welcome. 4 years out and my "new" lines are still in place, no leaks, no cracks. As far as any protective shield on the rubber hoses, what I do / did was get a slightly larger piece of hose and either split it or slide it on before installing, up to where there might be some rubbing and zip tie it in place, works like a charm though it might not pass for "original equipment"
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Just redid my EZL paste and the car is running sweet (recent tune-up)with 20 mpg (non-ethanol gas) and rpm at 600 in gear and about 750 in park. So now its time to re-do the two fuel lines from the fuel distributor (FD) to the metal fuel lines (feeder and return).

This is especially true because about two months ago the line connecting the fuel pump to the fuel filter split and several helpful bystanders pointed it out to me. Stop the car, got it towed to the shop and repaired, but I am even more nervous than before about fire hazards. Hence wanting to change the two hoses, one of which is beginning to show cracks.

Bad news: the two hoses are no longer available and would be very expensive if they were.
Good news: after a bit of searching I came across a couple of very useful threads on Benzworld, including this one below from mid-2015 that I am dragging up again.

Stewpot, All continues to work well with my repair. Nothing noteworthy to report.

If you're interested in using the factory hose with the polyamide core, I have directions somewhere for heating it properly to slip over the barbed fittings.
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Lucky Mike and Wookie_Chew_Bacca: thanx for the quick responses and the confirmation that this fix works well. Will get on it. I saw in another thread a "recipe" for the factory hose to slip more easily over the barbs (always a problem) and I think it was Lucky Mike's.

Did it include heating ghee and avocado juice (and perhaps even peanut butter) and then taking the temperature with an oven thermometer? I thought you were putting us on. Was it for real?
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Lucky Mike and Wookie_Chew_Bacca: thanx for the quick responses and the confirmation that this fix works well. Will get on it. I saw in another thread a "recipe" for the factory hose to slip more easily over the barbs (always a problem) and I think it was Lucky Mike's.

Did it include heating ghee and avocado juice (and perhaps even peanut butter) and then taking the temperature with an oven thermometer? I thought you were putting us on. Was it for real?
Yes, that's the post and no, not putting you on. You must use an oil that can be brought to a sufficiently high temperature to soften the hose without itself igniting.

In retrospect, I wish I would have used that method. Each time I open the hood and see those hose clamps I'm disappointed I didn't make a little effort to find the oil.
MBL87560SEC likes this.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Here is Lucky Mike's original "recipe" from that other thread. Does anybody know of somebody who has actually used this? Seems like more work that getting a hose over the #$$%%%$$# barb. Are there any other methods of getting the hose over the barb besides cautious patience and gentle pushing?

-------
Here's some reading on doing it yourself: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...uel-lines.html

If you want to do it right, either buy from the dealer or, from a very experienced friend of mine:

"The true and tried method is an old one passed along over the years, since this technique is used in manufacturing facilities and usually not found at the mechanics bench. The way to do it is as follows:

-- Get ghee, avocado or safflower oil at the grocery stores, which have a burn or smoke point near 500F.
-- Place the oil in a pot with high walls and fill to half its height.
-- Make sure that the half point fill on the pot is greater than the hose to fitting mating area. In other words, if the hose needs to slip onto the barb 1.5 inches, then the half point on the pot better be about 2 inches. You don't want to heat more hose or less hose than necessary.
-- Get a turkey or candy sugar thermometer that goes to 250 or 300 deg F and insert in the oil avoiding touching the bottom and walls.
-- Heat the oil to 212 F and insert a piece of hose to be used in the final job, but not the final one.
-- Hold the hose off the bottom of the pan and in the middle of the oil pool if possible for at least 2 minutes.
-- Remove the hose, wipe with rag clean of oil and try to insert into barb.
-- If inner core is still stiff, increase the temperature of the oil to 250F and so on until the inner core is soft and pliable like silicone hoses.
-- Each nylon hose core manufacturer uses different formulations of Nylon (like Nylon 6, 11, 12, 16) and each has a different softening temp."

Last edited by Stewpot; 06-17-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: oops, forgot to copy in the "recipe."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in