BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SOLVED: 1986 560SEC fluctuating RPM and manifold vacuum at idle

Hi

Some weeks ago my SEC started having the following symptoms: Sometimes when stopped at a traffic light, the idle RPM would decrease noticeably and a couple of cylinders might have not fired. As the light turned green and I applied throttle, the car would hesitate for a moment but then regain normal operation. As it transitioned from idle to part throttle driving, no problems whatsoever.

Now, the symptoms are worse. The idle is quite poor and every now and then, when I apply throttle, however carefully, the engine will shut off. I restart and quickly apply throttle and off I go. Once again, transitioning from idle to part throttle and I have no problems.

Two factors are ALWAYS present when I have the trouble described above:
1) The engine is not up to full operating temperature. After driving for like 10 minutes, everything is just perfect. No problems idling or taking off whatsoever.
2) The manifold vacuum gauge indicates drop in vacuum. I know that the manifold vacuum (=economy) gauge should indicate maximum vacuum at idle, but when I have the problem described above it certainly does not, instead pointing at a reading which is perhaps 1/4 way to the right.

I would certainly appreciate you guys sharing whatever experience you might have on the issue. Thank you very much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1995 S500 - 1986 420SEL
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 10532 Post(s)
Things to look for... throttle linkage lubrication, idle control valve to see if not gunked up, idle control relay (common circuit board failure), possible vacuum leak sealing itself once expanded by engine heat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I'm leaning with

"possible vacuum leak sealing itself once expanded by engine heat. " (G.T.)

and its getting worse..

I bet you can find by spaying carb cleaner… WD40… NOT Silicone spray .. Not Brake Cleaner… something flammable with one of those little nozzles..

When you reach the vacuum leak the engine RPM will change.. smooth out something along those lines..

Hey good luck man,

MBL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Works both ways, doesn't it?

Depending where the crack is, heat will either close it or pull it further apart. You need to be Colombo sometimes...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 560SEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Solved

SOLVED!

I am so happy right now. Without further ado: it was the ignition coil.

My best bet was the problem is a vacuum leak. Maybe in the air conditioning system, I thought, since it has a number of small vacuum lines that when leaking into the manifold, would be enough to cause a disturbance at idle RPM but not when the engine is really breathing.

My second bet was the onboard "computer" that does idle rpm regulating, or one of its inputs.

My third bet was ignition, since the roughness in the idle did sound a bit like a misfire. So perhaps those misfires were enough to bring the engine to a near-stall and cause manifold vacuum to spike.

While I really did think ignition was not the most likely cause, it still was the easiest to isolate. Replacing plugs and plug wires did help just a little bit but definitely did not fix the problem. I was almost certain it would not help but still wanted to replace the coil, just to make sure I did not miss something so easy to replace before diving into a massive project to replace all rubber under the hood.

Bingo, after replacing the coil with a OEM one, the engine positively snapped into life as I turned the key and the tach held a firm 750rpm at idle, economy gauge glued to the left. A quick test drive proved the problem was defeated!

Replace your coils as they approach 28 years of age, boys and girls.
mramay, 281lxm, GreenT and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Aah, another true life vindication for the coil suggestion! Thank you fellow Texan!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1991 560SEC 199 /268, 17" RS90'S, Eibach springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Custom rear sway bar, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumpers, wood refinish and restored.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Congrats and thank you for bringing a resolution to the thread.
281lxm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in