LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1989 300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driveshaft rebuild and bad centering bushings?

After I finish with the front end, I am going to do the driveshaft on my way to the rear end. I know the flex discs are bad, but how do you tell if the centering bushings are bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I grabbed the driveshaft near the center bearing and moved it back and forth to check stiffness. Couldn't tell if it was bad so I put in the new bearing "because I was there", and it felt about the same. Inexperience on my part? Likely. Replaced a good bearing with a good bearing? Also likely.

If you are going to do the flex disks, then do the center bearing, "because you are there". It's inexpensive and you have to drop the drive shaft to do the disks. Just make sure when you separate the forward portion of the drive shaft from the rear section you mark it so the splines go back EXACTLY the same. Just remember to use some blue Loctite on the two bolts that hold the center bearing in place.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 17x8.5/Nitto's, ATE slotted rotors with ceramic pads, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip. '87 560SEL with Euro Headlights, lowered, 235/40/17's
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramay View Post
I grabbed the driveshaft near the center bearing and moved it back and forth to check stiffness. Couldn't tell if it was bad so I put in the new bearing "because I was there", and it felt about the same. Inexperience on my part? Likely. Replaced a good bearing with a good bearing? Also likely.

If you are going to do the flex disks, then do the center bearing, "because you are there". It's inexpensive and you have to drop the drive shaft to do the disks. Just make sure when you separate the forward portion of the drive shaft from the rear section you mark it so the splines go back EXACTLY the same. Just remember to use some blue Loctite on the two bolts that hold the center bearing in place.
Sorry, not the center bearing but the centering bushings at each end of the drive shaft. Is this a even a wear item that goes bad? The flex disc's, center bearing and rubber bearing boot are already on the list for sure.

Last edited by emdcksn; 07-14-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
RATS, I didn't do the blue Loctite I did replace the carrier and the center bearing. The centering sleeves on mine seemed to be part of the shaft and they were ok. Here's a couple of pics from mine done last fall (along with a boatload of OTHER stuff I had to do)

The marks on the shaft painted to see easier and the age cracks in the bearing carrier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Flex Disc and Center Bearing 002.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1036450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Flex Disc and Center Bearing 008.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1036458  

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooky_chew_bacca View Post
RATS, I didn't do the blue Loctite I did replace the carrier and the center bearing. The centering sleeves on mine seemed to be part of the shaft and they were ok. Here's a couple of pics from mine done last fall (along with a boatload of OTHER stuff I had to do)

The marks on the shaft painted to see easier and the age cracks in the bearing carrier
Thanks Wooky, how hard was the bearing to remove/reinstall? Mercedes source says it is difficult and needs a special piece of pipe?

Last edited by emdcksn; 07-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I claim Senior Moment!!! :-)

Oops, bushings. My experience is with the disks and the center bearing. But, I've not seen any wear on the bushings on the driveshaft ends that center the driveshaft for the transmission and differential, nor any requirement to refurbish or even check them. I could be wrong (see above), but unless there is a noticeable slop there, I'd not worry.
wooky_chew_bacca and GreenT like this.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 17x8.5/Nitto's, ATE slotted rotors with ceramic pads, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip. '87 560SEL with Euro Headlights, lowered, 235/40/17's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramay View Post
I claim Senior Moment!!! :-)

Oops, bushings. My experience is with the disks and the center bearing. But, I've not seen any wear on the bushings on the driveshaft ends that center the driveshaft for the transmission and differential, nor any requirement to refurbish or even check them. I could be wrong (see above), but unless there is a noticeable slop there, I'd not worry.
Thanks. I'll check for any play once the disc's are unbolted.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdcksn View Post
Thanks Wooky, how hard was the bearing to remove/reinstall? Mercedes source says it is difficult and needs a special piece of pipe?
Well since I was replacing both the carrier and the bearing I just had to get the old off the shaft, came off fairly easy using a short prybar I have here (looks like a bent flat tip screwdriver) and just worked my way around til it popped off

Setting the new bearing in the carrier I used a short pipe nipple of the same diameter and tapped it in, same with the bearing to the shaft being VERY careful not to let it slip and mess up the seal. You can probably tell I don't have too many of the "special" tools here, my Uncle Art (R.I.P) taught me to work with what ya have on hand, the only man I knew who could tune a car by ear and have it within specs
autologic likes this.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

My Stable:
'91 560SEC "Ursula"
'91 300SE (sold) "Sadie"
'11 Suzuki SX4 Sport Sedan
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, "Riff Raft", overhaul restarted

Dif-tor heh smusma
I'm surprised that NOBODY has asked me what this is / means
LOL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooky_chew_bacca View Post
Well since I was replacing both the carrier and the bearing I just had to get the old off the shaft, came off fairly easy using a short prybar I have here (looks like a bent flat tip screwdriver) and just worked my way around til it popped off

Setting the new bearing in the carrier I used a short pipe nipple of the same diameter and tapped it in, same with the bearing to the shaft being VERY careful not to let it slip and mess up the seal. You can probably tell I don't have too many of the "special" tools here, my Uncle Art (R.I.P) taught me to work with what ya have on hand, the only man I knew who could tune a car by ear and have it within specs
Thanks Wooky
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle: Diesels om616 -> om606
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdcksn View Post
awakening an old thread when i was searching for the dimensions of said bearings, aswell as the centering bushings.
ive swapped countless of center-bearings on different benzes without any special pipe.
the difficult part is normaly getting the old one out, i just use a hammer, and something to tap it out with "from above" getting it back in is a lot easier.

the lovely Kent Bergsma at Mercedessource loves selling his special kit, tools and his own unique compounds of snakeoil.
apperantly you need a special tool to undo the shockmounts, instead of a normal spanner. (22mm if i recall correctly)

Hope you had success with your swap anyhow
(with or without a special pipe)

Daily: w123 om602 7.5mm 200whp
special/projects/storage: 20 cars +

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in