post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 ML270 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
engine steam clean

my car has a small oil leak which has been located and getting fixed this week however the mechanic is sugesting i get the engine steam cleaned before its fixed. Would this affect the electronics of the car? The car is a 1983 380 sel with 155000 miles, any advice welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Greeney
It has been done but 'personally' I wouldnt recommend it, I have seen so many problems afterwards.
These are very electrically reliant and it really plays havoc getting it wet, even if protected.
The slow way is much safer, bucket, spray cleaner, various paint brushes and dish brushes..

Dr Nicholas Greene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pompadour, FRANCE
Kent, UK

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
As above, I would never normally do it but I did get desperate and do it to my SEC recently. If you have to do it you can cover everything up and hope for the best..

There are lots of little things to cover up though.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
I will never do it again, far better to get a can of engine degreaser and spray it on, use a paint brush to agitate it, and rinse off with a jug of water, this way you have control of where the water goes.

My 230 SL had been done before I bought it, and darn near every bolt and fitting under the car rusted badly and they all broke when trying to remove anything
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Engine cleaning is pointless. When done improperly, especially with steam, it can damage the parts. When done properly, nothing is achieved that benefits the vehicle. I put it in the same category as hair gel and lawn jockeys.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Greeney
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Engine cleaning is pointless. When done improperly, especially with steam, it can damage the parts. When done properly, nothing is achieved that benefits the vehicle. I put it in the same category as hair gel and lawn jockeys.
I am sorry I don't agree with that last sentence at all.
Regular cleaning of your car engine bay helps you to become familiar with those parts under the bonnet, what they should look like and how they function. It will be easier to notice anything untoward that may cause a problem later, IE loose hoses or plugs and any rust or corrosion, it may even help you discover leaks before they become too serious or expensive.

You (members) are always discussing 'resale values' if I was looking for a car and lifted up the bonnet to find it covered in dust dirt and oil to me that would be another pointer towards lack of care.

Dr Nicholas Greene

Pompadour, FRANCE
Kent, UK

Last edited by Greeney; 04-22-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1986/1990 W126
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Mm yes I very much like a clean engine bay. Yes it shows a car has been looked after but also makes maintenance easier. Also oil on rubber hoses etc is best cleaned off really I always think due to perishing, depending on composition.

The best way is piecemeal as Malcolm suggests, I did my SE over time with a toothbrush and it looks nice. The SEC was a pig under the bonnet so I gave up and blasted it but I was careful.

Caveboyz thats a good sign your mechanic would like it clean, I think, it suggests he is thorough.
wooky_chew_bacca likes this.

'86 420SE
'90 420SEC

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2006 S 500, 169K 723 Pewter over Charcoal
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
I am sorry I don't agree with that last sentence at all.
Regular cleaning of your car engine bay helps you to become familiar with those parts under the bonnet, what they should look like and how they function. It will be easier to notice anything untoward that may cause a problem later, IE loose hoses or plugs and any rust or corrosion, it may even help you discover leaks before they become too serious or expensive.

You (members) are always discussing 'resale values' if I was looking for a car and lifted up the bonnet to find it covered in dust dirt and oil to me that would be another pointer towards lack of care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
Mm yes I very much like a clean engine bay. Yes it shows a car has been looked after but also makes maintenance easier. Also oil on rubber hoses etc is best cleaned off really I always think due to perishing, depending on composition.
It is very important to keep your engine bay and undercarriage clean. Itís like anything else, keeping things clean keeps them in better shape. Things that stay dirty tend to deteriorate more rapidly, especially in an area that uses several oil based fluids which, when leaked, attract dirt. Yes, keeping the engine bay clean allows you to see leaks earlier than later which allows for better maintenance. Iíve also talked to several mechanics who say they take better care of a car that is kept clean as it makes their job more pleasant. Maybe they shouldnít but sometimes they do. I put my car up on ramps and take the pressure washer to it from above and below at least twice a year.

Now, yes, there is the electrical issue. Our cars are old, which means that they tend to not be as tightly sealed as they used to be, so yeah you need to be careful. Provided things are in good shape, this is what I recommend. Starting with a cold engine, spray diluted dawn dish detergent or some other relatively mild degreaser (if there is such a thing) on and around the engine paying special attention to especially oily or dirty areas. Agitate with a small brush or cloth. Rinse using the jet setting from your hose. After rinsing, blow as dry as you can using a leaf blower, paying close attention to cracks and crevices. Spot dry with a cloth. Youíll especially like this after fixing a leak because it will help you confirm that you fixed it. I love it!

J Dubb
2006 S 500

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dubb View Post
It is very important to keep your engine bay and undercarriage clean. Itís like anything else, keeping things clean keeps them in better shape. Things that stay dirty tend to deteriorate more rapidly, especially in an area that uses several oil based fluids which, when leaked, attract dirt. Yes, keeping the engine bay clean allows you to see leaks earlier than later which allows for better maintenance. Iíve also talked to several mechanics who say they take better care of a car that is kept clean as it makes their job more pleasant. Maybe they shouldnít but sometimes they do. I put my car up on ramps and take the pressure washer to it from above and below at least twice a year.

Now, yes, there is the electrical issue. Our cars are old, which means that they tend to not be as tightly sealed as they used to be, so yeah you need to be careful. Provided things are in good shape, this is what I recommend. Starting with a cold engine, spray diluted dawn dish detergent or some other relatively mild degreaser (if there is such a thing) on and around the engine paying special attention to especially oily or dirty areas. Agitate with a small brush or cloth. Rinse using the jet setting from your hose. After rinsing, blow as dry as you can using a leaf blower, paying close attention to cracks and crevices. Spot dry with a cloth. Youíll especially like this after fixing a leak because it will help you confirm that you fixed it. I love it!
I use a similar method. Simple Green applied with a spray bottle on a cold engine and brushed around with a toothbrush. Then rinse with a spray bottle of water. Time consuming but easily controlled.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1991 300sl auto Red/parchment. 1982 300sd. Teal/beige
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a big difference between "pressure washing" and steam cleaning. Actual steam cleaning is much more effective and far less damaging than a jet stream of water.
Roger007 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in