sounds like you bent the arm under the actual shifter. looking @ the transmission it should be Pretty easy to tell if that's tweaked,but getting a good look @ the upper part of the linkage on the car is a bit more difficult.
in the past I'd forgotten to undo that clip, but never yanked hard enough to tweak it out :-/
OK, what was bent was that flat piece of metal that attaches to the shifter. Rather than screw with that trying to bend it back, and guess with trial and error, I realized there was plenty of room under there. So, I just removed the linkage rod, removed the stop nut at the end of the threads, and took a die and cut about another inch or so of new threads further past where the factory threads stopped. Worked like a charm.
As far as the 300SDL engine swap into the 350SDL car, it's done. The things you will need off a donor 300SDL that I noticed were:
Throttle pivot in the firewall is different, so I swapped that. And you need to use the pivot rod connecting the firewall pivot to the engine, with the black ball socket.
I wanted to keep the AC system sealed, so I tied the 10P17C compressor out of the way. The mounting bolts are in different locations than the 300SDL's 10P15C, so when I pulled the engines out, I swapped over the compressor bracket.
I swapped over the alternator both because of different connectors, and the 350SDL's is higher amperage.
The 300SDL side sump pan worked fine in the 350SDL cradle. So you can keep that on rather than messing with that windage tray in the other pan.
I had to use the 300SDL serpentine belt which was slightly longer than the 350SDL belt (84.5 inches compared to 83.5 inches)
I kept the 350SDL trans in the car, and reused the 350SDL converter. I also used the 300SDL IP and turbo. They seem to work find with the 350 trans. I was initially concerned about shift points being matched to the 350 IP, but it works great.
The compressor interrupt switch on the bottom of the IP is different. The 300SDL switch is 3 pin, and the 350SDL switch is 6 pin (actually 5 pin active, the 6th pin is blank. Here's a few pics from both swaps, and some of the pieces I mentioned above...
If you run into any issues, just msg me.