Custom Tri Wye Headers for $1200.00 - Who wants a set? - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: too many
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
The last HC (11.5-1 engine) that BT build blew up quite spectacularly...but that's another story.
Jonathan
Jono - great point. And, supposedly, BTE had experience and knew what they were doing! So either that's not true....or, you have to be careful what you are doing with these motors. Its not a Ford or Chevy big block that you can cheaply tweak and rebuild if you blow it up! Plus, we aren't talking race track here where the pit crew can tear down the motor and rebuild it after every major thrashing.

Markus

--------------------
current collection:

1986 300SEL euro (being restored)
1990 300SEL (parts car donating interior to 86 euro)
1995 Ford Taurus (blue - running again with used replacement tranny)
1995 Ford Taurus (white - rusty low mileage bomber, 16 yr old son's car soon)
1995 Ford Taurus (green - parts car)
1995 Ford F150
1986 Bluebird PT40 (motorhome)
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo (wife's)
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (for sale)
2007 Honda VTX 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, and a taller rear end ratio also make a BIG difference. 3:07 may be the limit if one still wants to cruise at 80 mph on the highway for long hours.
No point in building a worked engine if you cant max out 300kph speedo IMO
The spirit of these cars lies in smooth sustaind high speed crusing not being first off at the lights,lumpy idle and all or nothing power delivery.
If your going to go 3/07 would be better with a manual gearbox with o/d 5th gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
GGR
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeSEC View Post
No point in building a worked engine if you cant max out 300kph speedo IMO
Then you need seriously big power (twin turbo?) and big work on aerodynamics.

Quote:
The spirit of these cars lies in smooth sustaind high speed crusing not being first off at the lights,lumpy idle and all or nothing power delivery.
gear.
That's my point. Performance comes at a compromise.

Quote:
If your going to go 3/07 would be better with a manual gearbox with o/d 5th gear.
That's what I'm doing, but with a 3,27 ratio. I'm targeting 250 km/h with a '62 W111 Coupe:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 speed on engine - 1.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	294126   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 speed on engien - 2.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	294127   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 speed on engine - 7.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	294128  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48hp View Post
There was a set of headers produced by SuperchargedSEC for sale that were never mounted they were jet coated and in the end available for a mere $900 not long ago. Didn't sell the first time around.
and my point is that if a set of custom headers that are already coated couldn't find a buyer at $900 not sure that there will be many takers at $1200 for an untreated set.

Besides the OEM cast iron tri-y manifolds are the most efficient, reliable, durable, proven and tested manifold available, period. There is little room for improvement if any at all.

I also realize that they are not available on every street corner. Might I suggest that a set of AMG headers be located and replicate those. They are already designed, tried, tested and also proven. That will cut the cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
I might add along that thought, that Hartmut commented to me that cast manifolds do/did flow better then the hand made bits.. On the twin cam engines there was a decided power increase once they had cast manifolds available.

I showed the AMG headers to my pipe bender and he wasn't @ all impressed w/ the design..basically stating one could put together a much better flowing set of pipes using what's been learned in the last 20 years.

FWIW, when I endeavored to set out on a header project we were going to use all stainless and the price would have been the same, 2K..

Jonathan

Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.

87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer Coupe 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0 32V
etc....

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
I showed the AMG headers to my pipe bender and he wasn't @ all impressed w/ the design..basically stating one could put together a much better flowing set of pipes using what's been learned in the last 20 years.

FWIW, when I endeavored to set out on a header project we were going to use all stainless and the price would have been the same, 2K..

Jonathan
Exactly why I am not hunting down a set (Or asking Jim to borrow his set.) I showed Tom pics of that set you had and he said the same thing, That he could design a much better set and to just let him do his thing.

Current Stable:
2012 CL550 C4 4MATIC Coupe

Past cars:
1991-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe.
1990-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock. Euro Headlamps & Wipers
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan
1988 420 SEL Champagne/Brown

post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: w201,w124,w126
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Why dont you guys just buy that Supercharger kit from that Estonian guy? He posted pics and stuff about it a few months ago. He is also selling 5spd conversion kits.

My next MB project will be a M120 swap into a w126 or a m119 into a w201. I'll probably swap all the electronics over as well. I don't think I have Satish's patience to integrate everything.
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclare View Post
He said that he would take my two Eueo motors as soon as I could get them to him (without me paying a deposit because I told him I was committed to a bunch of stuff and he said that was okay, he trusted me) so he could start taking measurements and laying out a plan. This guy is from Poland and was trained on MB's not Fords. But, he lives in SoCal and what do we have the majority of here that ppl dumpo money into? American Muscle cars, so that's what he does. But, there are hundreds of shops that do that and very few as we all know that can muscle mod a M117 motor.

It's not like our motors can't take it guys. We all know they are built like tank motors.

He said he is going to be very reasonable with us because he sees the potential. So if you have any specific questions or concerns, post them or email me and I will relay them to him.

A true metallurgist! Do you have his contact information and what does he charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in