Custom Tri Wye Headers for $1200.00 - Who wants a set? - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 500 SEC AMG Mod'd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 500SEC_AMG
400 HP at the friggen crank!!! where the f^ck do I sign up? Serious. I would sell my CLK and drive down there and have the work done. How long would it take him, If I came down for 2 weeks would he have it done?

If my friend in SanDiego comes through with a wiring harness I will drive down. Who's house can I stay at? I am clean and will buy beer and wine!!!

Last edited by 500SEC_AMG; 02-26-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1983-2007 MB's
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
mclare's vid of his first baseline pull.

post #43 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

not bad, it didn't seem like he was pushing it, what were you trying to do with the dyno, is this car a Euro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There was a set of headers produced by SuperchargedSEC for sale that were never mounted they were jet coated and in the end available for a mere $900 not long ago. Didn't sell the first time around.

The Gen I US spec M117s were delivered with the most restrictive exhaust systems. Upgrading to a OEM tri-y manifolds and true dual exhaust system, with hi-flow dual in dual out cat showed an increase of 29 hp. Upgrading from euro logs to a tri-y system may show an increase of 10-15hp.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...l-exhaust.html

Dynos are different.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...ml#post1852182

Not to pee on the parade and at the risk of sounding a snore but gaining horses from these M117 isn't simply a matter of pistons, cams and headers. There are rings, pins, rods, cranks, bearings, gaskets, lifters, hd springs, keepers, etc, etc, etc. to consider. There are proven "systems" and components that have provided moderate increases in performance. These have been designed and manufactured by top engineers and manufactured to the highest tolerances of the most refined metals. This quality and refinement translate into reliability and durability. I just don't see that coming out of a go fast speed shop. Building headers, yeah...port and polishing, maybe but I wouldn't let them touch the internal workings of Mercedes engineered product but that's just me.

Keep fighting the good fight! HP is additive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48hp View Post
Not to pee on the parade and at the risk of sounding a snore but gaining horses from these M117 isn't simply a matter of pistons, cams and headers. There are rings, pins, rods, cranks, bearings, gaskets, lifters, hd springs, keepers, etc, etc, etc. to consider. There are proven "systems" and components that have provided moderate increases in performance. These have been designed and manufactured by top engineers and manufactured to the highest tolerances of the most refined metals. This quality and refinement translate into reliability and durability. I just don't see that coming out of a go fast speed shop. Building headers, yeah...port and polishing, maybe but I wouldn't let them touch the internal workings of Mercedes engineered product but that's just me.

I took these words to heart because I do not want to be led down the primrose path, so I called Tom yesterday (Sunday) and he answered and took all of my questions and invites you guys to ask anything you want. Post it here and either he will read it and get back to me or I will print it and tell him.. He is not into posting on boards, he just does not have the time for that, and that's good.

He said he would send me some pics and true to his word, before I even got up, here they were:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.0 SOHC EFI induction.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	293639   Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Corvett exhaust.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	293640   Click image for larger version

Name:	61 vett LS1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	293641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aardema streamliner exhaust.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	293642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aardema streamliner.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	293643  

Name:	Corvett left header.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	293644   Click image for larger version

Name:	corvett LS1 headers.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	293645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvett right header.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	293646   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMC 388 LS1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	293647   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT40.jpg
Views:	2677
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	293648  

post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
(Thread Starter)
He said that he would take my two Eueo motors as soon as I could get them to him (without me paying a deposit because I told him I was committed to a bunch of stuff and he said that was okay, he trusted me) so he could start taking measurements and laying out a plan. This guy is from Poland and was trained on MB's not Fords. But, he lives in SoCal and what do we have the majority of here that ppl dumpo money into? American Muscle cars, so that's what he does. But, there are hundreds of shops that do that and very few as we all know that can muscle mod a M117 motor.

It's not like our motors can't take it guys. We all know they are built like tank motors.

He said he is going to be very reasonable with us because he sees the potential. So if you have any specific questions or concerns, post them or email me and I will relay them to him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LS1 intake.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	293649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Miata Intake.jpg
Views:	2068
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	293650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Ford induction.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	293651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Ford Oil Pan.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	293652  
post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: too many
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48hp View Post

All good points. I have heard a lot about "tweaks" not having the desired affect. I know of some custom headers an exhaust that were built for our cars that didn't seem to produce the desired result, so I don't think its just a matter of fabbing something up.

As well know, these engineers designed things to work a certain way, and they didn't make it cheap or easy for us to screw around with it! Kudos if someone figures out a way that doesn't cost an arm, leg, and vital organs.
post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I disagree. I don't think the Germans were factoring california emissions, cats, smog pumps, single exhaust 87 octane. My 283 in my pontiac was 2 barrel and old tech and made 290hp so with this modern master piece why can't we get 400hp with better cams and pistons? I think these motors are dumbed down for economy and reliability not performance. Yes I would pay 5k for 400hp
post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC_AMG View Post
I disagree. I don't think the Germans were factoring california emissions, cats, smog pumps, single exhaust 87 octane. My 283 in my pontiac was 2 barrel and old tech and made 290hp so with this modern master piece why can't we get 400hp with better cams and pistons? I think these motors are dumbed down for economy and reliability not performance. Yes I would pay 5k for 400hp
If it were That easy I'd say AMG would have been cranking out 5K dollar 400HP cars all day long..

Till you try it first hand, it's tough to Know.

Jonathan

----------------
Now playing: Gorillaz - Plastic Beach Ft. Mick Jones & Paul Simon
via FoxyTunes
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC_AMG View Post
I think your definition of "performance" differs from mine.

I'd rather go 300K miles at ~290hp than 1/4 mi at 400 hp

You'll also have to remember the oil crunch in the late 70's through 80's and then came the econo cars and the rest of the car mfgs moving to the "luxury" market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in