Custom Tri Wye Headers for $1200.00 - Who wants a set? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhef View Post
How about some longtube ones instead? I'd be up for that.
These are going to be a longtube design.

Current Stable:
2012 CL550 C4 4MATIC Coupe

Past cars:
1991-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe.
1990-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock. Euro Headlamps & Wipers
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan
1988 420 SEL Champagne/Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
Results from the Dyno Run and Questions posed to Tom

Okay, well as you all know reading this, I found a fabricator here in the Antelope Valley that said he knew Mercedes and that he could fabricate custom headers for $1200.00 and also replicate AMG cams and heads. As we all know the proof is in the pudding as they say, so i went up to his shop to have a look around. Although he and I had talked about putting my car on the Dyno for a baseline analysis, I wasn't prepared for it this morning (Meaning I didn't bring a checkbook or have enough cash and he didn't take C/C or debit cards) but he was okay with me just mailing him a check, but after I went right down to the ATM and got him the cash and came right back.

But anyways, I drive up there and it's down a private dirt road and I pull up to a huge building, clearly a highbay, with a light rain coming down. Perfect day!

So I back my car onto the Dyno:

And I start looing around the shop and see many projects in various stages of completion:

A sand rail/dune buggy that is V-8 powered

A Big Block V-8 powered Hot Rod and a International Travelall on a 98 Dodge LB Diesel pickup chassis that he extended the body of in two sections. A center plug od 22" and a front plug of 16"! You can see a Chevy pickup behind the grinder.

Some of his tool and machinery

Another pic of the Travelall

A closeup of the Rod's pipes

Current Stable:

Past cars:
1991-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe.
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
This is a FASCINATING project he is doing:

This is the frame of basically a Formula 1 street Rod. The frame is sitting on it's side. It is very reminiscent of a Prowler, but they said it will look like a streamlined T-Bucket.

Here's a closeup of the front suspension:

Yes, that is all hand made out of Aircraft grade Chrome-Molly and they are actually in the shape of an airfoil. He made each and every piece there from scratch. Notice the connecting arm that runs to the bottom? It's for the inboard shocks!

The rear brakes!

The tires

The Motor. Notice the downdraft pipes? They will be for the injectors, like downdraft webers he said they will look like, but will be modern EFI system for max performance and tuning.

The equal length headers for it. Look at that artwork boys and if you have any questions if he can get around our steering box, I think they are answered here. BTW this car is titled in AZ in case anyone was wondering about "How's he going to smog this?"

An example of 'Variable length' headers that he made. The rails he is pointing to are slides that he can adjust the length of the outlet pipe to 'tune' it to whatever resonant frequency he might want to dial in.

Two examples of intake manifolds that he ported and polished out:

The engine for the 'Variable' pipes:

Current Stable:

Past cars:
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
One of MANY shelves of parts and supplies:

Some body tools:

The Dyno:

Backing it on there and starting the lasing down process:

More Tie Downs:

I was in the Navy and I was in Naval Aviation and worked on the flight decks of 3 Carriers and I worked on the bow cats and was used to being around Jets Lashed down at full afterburners. But it's a whole different story when it's your baby that you have built and loved. If 704 goes in the drink, as long as the pilots get out and you are not hit by any FOD or debris, it's all good. Standing next to an F-14 at full burners on the cat is one thing, but having my baby strapped down and run at full throttle and being 2 feet from her is COMPLETELY another.

Current Stable:

Past cars:
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan

Last edited by mclare; 02-25-2010 at 01:03 AM.
post #25 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor

(Thread Starter)
My Dyno Report:

The start of the test:

Some people may be wondering what we are talking about 'equal length pipes' and what that means. Well anything that vibrates creates what's called resonance and harmonics. This is the true meaning of 'Tuning' an engine, not just setting the timing. Equal length pipes will all 'resonate' or vibrate at the same frequency, thereby keeping the engine 'balanced'. The cylinder ports will not be 'off balance' with equal pressure on each one. With unequal pipes, there is different pressure on each cylinder and that throws the engine off balance. So if each of the exhaust pipes is exactly the same length, there is the exact same pressure and vibration on each cylinder. It won't have pressure X on these cylinders and pressure Y on others and pressure Z on the rest. All are equal and the engine is balanced.

Here are some other things we discussed:

He is Polish and learned his craft over there. That is why he is familiar with MB's and their needs and differences. He has worked on them over there and has done a lot of 124 work too.

Headers: He is going to take my car for a week and mold and bend the pipes to create the equal length headers. He says it will clear the steering box and he knows about the heat issues and says to stay away from chromed pipes because they retain more heat. Base price for a set of pipes will be $1200.00. He said if you want them out of Stainless that will be an additional 800 in material and maybe a little more for labor. He is going to take my set of pipes and make a jig so that he can replicate them for production for you guys. They can be finished however you want them for an additional fee and he will ship them anywhere. You will need a pro exhaust shop to have them installed though because I am sure it will need severe mods to it and it will be beyond most members capabilities here.

Heads: He is going to use the AMG heads we have to copy the porting and he will also polish them out and see if that is the optimum porting (not second guessing AMG, but hey! Gotta check to be sure because of "modern" techniques!). $800.00 to port and polish a set of heads to AMG specs.

Cams: He is going to copy the AMG cams we have and copy the angles and see if that is the optimum performance too. He can make them "Hotter" if wanted or needed. I am going with the stock AMG lobe profiles. I want mine to be as close to an old school AMG engine as can be produced today. $800.00 to grind a set of AMG replica cams.

Intake Manifold: He is gong to P&P that too and I am going to have the outside polished out to a high gloss as well as the VC's, C/C servo, brackets etc. $400.00 to port and polish the IM.

AFSP (Air Flow Sensor Plate): This is important and gauges the amount of air demand the engine needs and is taking in. This has a tension spring that holds it closed under a no load situation. As the engine revs and needs more air, a tension spring allows it to open, however this spring is usually hard and tight. But if it is too loose, it will be open too much and will richen the car too much at the wrong time throwing off the performance. If it is too tight, not enough air will get in the engine and it will starve performance too. So he says he knows how to adjust the tension on the spring to give optimum performance. He will do this as part of the $400.00 tuning fee.

Ignition: He says he is well versed in Bosch ECU/EZL's and can fine tune the car a little better than stock to adjust for the headers. He can also install an aftermarket one if wanted. $1500.00 to $2500.00 depending on the model selected plus a $400.00 "Tuning and Dyno fee".

Valves: He is going to do a "3 angle" valve job for $350.00.

Complete exhaust systems: He is going to fabricate my complete exhaust system from front to back. It will all be completely tuned and smog legal. Twin HP cats going back to the rear. Don't know how I am going to do the outlets. I have twin AMG chrome tips, but I would like quads. He says no problem if I can get another set. I may have the twin pipes (this will be a real twin pipe all the way back design) go into a single can with twin ins and outs and just use the twin tips I have now... But I REALLY like those quads...!

Real Horsepower increase: My car had a baseline of just under 200 HP at the wheels. Tom says that he believes he can get my car up to just under 300 HP at the wheels with all of these mods, with the HP at the crank at about 380. With a total price of between 5000 and 6000 installed, including the engine swap. I will be starting with the RÜF motor which is a HC motor. My goal was 350-375 HP so that is over what my best hope was so that will be well worth it. That will be about a 50% increase in HP for like 5 grand or so.

If anyone else wants any of these mods, let me know and I will put you in touch with Tom directly. I am NOT profiting from this at all... I am doing this for my car, and passing the info on to you guys so that others who want more performance in the AMG vain can get it. I am not saying that this will be an AMG motor, but a replica based on AMG designs with all of the advances of the past 20+ years incorporated using modern materials and techniques.

I will append to this as more info becomes available and I will start a thread on the engine mods as they progress..

Current Stable:

Past cars:
1987 560 SEC Black/Tan

Last edited by mclare; 02-25-2010 at 02:55 AM.
post #26 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Wow, seems like a very competent shop. It's certainly very well equipped. The prices seem very reasonable as well for what you're getting done.

1990 560 SEL, 1991 560 SEC Euro, Japanese Import
Birmingham, MI
post #27 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Dam

All the english man can say is DAM.

Jonathan
post #28 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, that's a great find, nice work.

If I kept one of these cars, I'd do the headers for sure. $1200 for no head gasket issues and 30HP+ seems like a great deal to me.

Thanks for write up, keep us informed as to progress!
post #29 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
CH4S Artist
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wow, the curves of those equal length headers got me strangely aroused.
I hope there is nothing wrong with me.
Cheers
post #30 of 78 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Thumbs up WOW

AGAIN WOW!
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in