Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AMG bodykits 101

92K views 127 replies 62 participants last post by  vdubpower 
#1 ·
Many people are looking for AMG bodykits for their cars, but not many know of the different types of AMG kits that were made. I decided to post a thread to help those not familiar with the variations know more on this topic. Not all AMG kits are alike, some were made specifically for US-spec bumpers and others were made for Euro-spec ones. You also have Japan-spec, but more on that later.

Then it gets more complicated. The Euro-spec bumpers were divided into 2 Generations. The 1st Generation ones made for Euro W126's built from 1979 to 09/1985 and 2nd Generation kits made for W126's built after 09/1985. If you have a Euro-spec W126, chances are you have a 1st generation Euro as there are VERY few generation 2 Euro W126's in the US.

The US spec bumpers were the same throughout the production line. Only the side panels differed(ribbed vs. non-ribbed) between the older (1980-1985) and later (1986-1991). So the Generation 1 and Generation 2 front and rear spoilers do not differ from one another.

I must point out, I've seen pictures of MANY different W126's tuned by AMG... but have not seen a US spec Generation 1 W126 tuned by AMG. Reason being, the 1st Gen US W126's were MUCH under-powered to the Euro counterpart that customers opted to purchase one in Europe and have it shipped to the US. **At the time, the US dollar was also strong to the German DM that it allowed many cars to be purchased and imported into the US as grey-market cars. Hence you can find so many Euro-spec W126's and some of those that are AMG-kitted.**

There is also a difference between kits designed for SEC's and the sedans. However, the main difference is particularly found in the front spoiler. From what I gathered, the difference between SEC and SE/L kits are seen only in 1st Generation Euro ones. The sideskirts differ in length between a SEC and SEL's and have different KBA and AMG part numbers to differentiate the 2 types. The rear spoiler/bumper are the same between the 3 W126 variations(SEC/SE/SEL).
In Gen 2 Euro kits, the front spoiler is interchangeable between the SEC and SE/SEL. The sideskirts come in 2 parts and can be shortened to accomodate the SE/SEC. The rear spoiler is the same between the 3 variations.

Japan-specs don't differ much from the 2nd Gen Euro. However there are a couple items that seem to be more popular in Japan than in other parts of the World. The front bumper on *most* W126 AMG's were fitted with an AMG bumper than had driving lights incorporated into them. It is a one piece bumper replacement with chrome trim attached to them. Though this was also offered in Europe to customers (per the 1990 AMG dealer catalog), it was rarely chosen over the more subtle AMG front lip. Japan-spec W126 AMG's often had the 3-piece AMG ducktail spoiler as opposed to the more subtle trunk spoiler.

Another variation to the AMG bodykits were found in the "widebody" SEC's, but these are much different than the normal-bodied counterparts. All the parts were different to accomodate the much wider parts. There was also a Gen1 and Gen 2 widebody kits... however no US-spec widebody kits were ever made.

Picture time!:D

The above is a nomal body, 1st Generation Euro AMG. The rear spoiler only covers the bottom of the rear bumper. The sideskirts have "ears" and protrude out and the front spoiler covers the edge as well as part of the front of the bumper.

The above is also a normal body SEC, but its got the 2nd Generation Euro AMG kit. The rear spoiler covers most of the rear bumper(not just the bottom), the sideskirts are flat and don't protrude out like the older generation and the front spoiler wraps only around the edge of the bumper.

The above is a US spec SEC AMG. The bumper on US spec cars protrude out more than Euro-spec ones, so the kit has to accomodate for that. The kit is similar to that of the Euro 1st gen kit in design. The rear spoiler only covers the bottom of the rear bumper. The front spoiler also covers the edge as well as a portion of the front of the front bumper. The sideskirts came in 2 styles, one as shown above with "jack holes";) and ones without... as per Axel's examples shown below...

Above is a Euro spec Gen1 AMG kit for the SE/L. Same style kit as found on the SEC but with longer sideskirts. The front spoiler also covers part of the front of the front bumper as shown below.

See less See more
#75 ·

I'm on the fence. When this car was new I would have paid the price whatever it was. As if I could! It will not go down in books as the ultimate AMG but I can't shake my soft spot for these. The color and everything else about it is perfect. Even if it wasn't really a good looking car to start with.

#76 ·
Most likely, but it is a ducktail on a 140...and the blending is a Pricey job who ever you have do it.:)

My Hammer's ducktail is blended..as was POS's 300E 3.2 AMG that lives just north of me now.. I forget how much AMG NA charged but it was ridiculous..quite a bit of work...there's over 100 small spot welds on my deck lid for the spoiler!

Jonathan

#78 ·
I am awaiting delivery of AMG Japan front and rear skirts with Euro bumpers included.

Here are some pics with the AMG part numbers corroborating Talbir's claims.

The part numbers are in the same series of shown in the catalog page pic elsewhere on this thread.

#80 · (Edited)
Anyone need repros? I can probably have it made in a two or three piece kit so shipping is more manageable. Would require a bit of blending work to hide the joints though. And of course, it wouldn't have the foglamps/driving lamps. That's going to be a source your own kind of deal....

I can probably attend to it in a couple of months.

#82 ·
Anyone need repros? I can probably have it made in a two or three pieces so shipping is more manageable. Would require a bit of blending work to hide the joints though. And of course, it wouldn't have the foglamps/driving lamps. That's going to be a source your own kind of deal....

I can probably attend to it in a couple of months.
i'd be very interested mate.... especially with the two pieces stuff, as im in australia. would it all fit a short wheelbase? not scared of a bit of bodywork, going to have to do a lot anyway.

probably not needed for a few months though? it's a gen 2 kit yeah? what sort of pricing?

thanks mate,
cheers,
ryley

#87 ·
Great thread for the information ,

I would like to find a Spoilers Kits for my US W126, the most i found are for Europe bumpers. and other problem, i am from Dominicana, trouble for me is to buy items and trasport Them.

#88 ·
Greetings.. I was told that i can get some help on where i can get the wide body kit here.. really having a hard time finding.. there are two that i found which one of them is made by duraflex and the other is made by gockel ( Germany ) .. can u help me on where to find a good quality kit..??

#90 ·
There is a difference between a Wide Body kit and a Body Kit like the two you mentioned.
The Two you mentioned are body kits. The wide Body kit entails a good body shop to install as the rear Qtr panels of the body have to be modified to install the Wide Body Fenders.

#93 ·
A question for the guru's.

I will soon be installing a GEN II US body kit and was wondering if the side panels come off or do the AMG side skirts get mounted over the top of them? The side skirts that I have look exactly like Axle's shown here (no jack holes). Are there any mounting instructions posted anywhere?

Mike

Attachments

#94 ·
You'll need to remove the factory side skirts first. Installation is simple, they screw in from below and on the sides.

You may need to pop the front most side panel to screw one of the holding tabs for the side skirts. I don't see the tab on Axel's picture but it may be there.

#97 ·
Looks nice but that antenna thingy on the trunk totally ruins it for me and it makes the car appear a mile long.
dws

#98 ·
AMG SEC.

Hi folks, hope you ejoyed xmas, my neighbour has offered me an AMG 500 SEC, can anyone tell me how many were produced by AMG, and where are AMG stamps found on engine and body? And what would the value be worth of a good clean example of this vehicle? I am registered on the RO7 Forum, as I have an 82 500SL.

Many thanks
Den.

#100 ·
Retirement a bit boring GreenT? LOL!!
I spend time going back over these older threads too. Lots of good ones on about any subject you might want, just search.

#104 ·
Anybody know where I can get an body kit that ready to be put on that requires nothing but installation. I don't know if you can make the picture bigger or not, a body kit that looks like the one on my old 380SEL. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but my mercedes was made in Germany and shipped to the U.S.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.