BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz W126 500SEL &380SEL W116 280SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question speedometer face plate code

A question for our 500 drivers.
I have an imported 500SEL (imported from Hong Kong) and one of the previous owner has attempted to replace the original Speedometer which was reading miles with one that was reading Km. In the process the registered speed was all of and to correct this, a 'thingie' (converter) was put in the line to the speedometer.

I would like to go back to a speedometer that reads Km, the correct amount, but doesn't rely on a thingie.

Would it be possible for one of you who has a 500 to tell me what the code is on the face plate? Alternatively can the person who knows what the code means on the face plate and how to interpret this in relation to rear gear ratios, enlighten me and hopefully some more readers.

Thanks Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2004
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The face plate is not available separately from MB.

The part no. on the speedo face plate refers to the entire speedo unit, not just the face plate.

talbir

Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Black 040
Mercedes w124 500E 1993 Spruce Green
Mercedes AMG 560SEC 1988
Mercedes AMG DOHC M117 w126 AMG Widebody SEC 1985
Mercedes 560SE Carat Duchatelet 1987
Mercedes w126 SEL Brabus
Mercedes w124 T Brabus
Porsche 911 Turbo SE Slantnose 1986
Mercedes 560E - w124 5.6 DOHC 360bhp by Stratton
Ferrari 328 GTS Quattrovalvole 1986 Koenig Widebody
Porsche 928 S4 by Strosek, Supercharged 550bhp
Mercedes 190E AMG Widebody
Mercedes SEC by Gemballa 6.9
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
) Hong Kong mb's would have speedo in km's...

2) I would trust Tabir if he says km and mileage speedo's are different units - I think it has to do with the range of motion on the needle, it is not just a face plate change.

3) the "in-line correction thingy" is probably a Dakota unit from the US or Nippon/Japan equivalent which is used to adjust the signal - to correct for gear-ratio or tire size. You install it in-line, then using a GPS or partner car, flip the micor-switches to adjust the signal to give accurate speedo reading.

4) Having a correction unit on a car your purchased to me would be a good thing - since it would lead me to suspect you have a better/changed rear-end, possibly even a rare (and valuable) GLeason rear end - have you checked ?

4) I do not know if the Dakota unit could give the variation/delta needed to change from miles-to-km or versa - haven't tried - maybe you could email them.

5) Yes, faceplates can be changed (fairly easily) best done by a ship - or the individual gauges in the cluster 1-2-3 can be changed out too.

6) On dials plates the original dial MB or original AMG dials are screen printed on brass plates. Some aftermarket dial changers (color, lighted, etc) use a overlay printed on paper or thin PVC plastic material to.
I have a NOS (new old stock) genuine AMG dials, but unfortunately in km's...

Hope this helps - like I say, that converter might mean something very-very good for you, like a super rear-end !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '82 500 SEL (Euro)
The Dakota Digital will change your speedo from miles to klms ( and vise versa)
no problems at all.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the answers.

What I was looking for is the possible relationship between the Number on the bottem of the speedo-faceplate and the final drive ratio. If there was a relationship I could ask a friend in Europ to get me the correct speedo-unit. I wasn't looking at bying a new face-plate from MB.
My speedo is presently working oke. I got the car already converted, but there are quite a few loose wires behind the speedo and in the area of the 'converter'. What I would like to do is replace the converted speedo and the converter with a correct speedo, ie one that reads Kms as the main speed and does it the correct way.

The code I was talking about is the mercedes part number on the bottome of the face plate. In my case that is 126 542 62 01. Which in my case doesn't mean much, as I don't know what donor car this speedo came from. As I understand it the converter change the pulse it receives into the correct one for the speedo.l

What I would like to find out it. Does mercedes use different speedos for the different possibilities, ie differential ratios, or do they simply swap a electronic part[s] on the rear of the speedo. If they use different speedos does the part number indicate the diff ratio or is there another indication for the difference.

Thanks and have a nice day. Hank Jay
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi fabbrisd
Are you from Hong Kong if I may ask.
My car originally came wtih a speedo in miles and was imported, could that mean it came from Singapore?
regards Hank J.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:28 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Your answer about Asia cars...

Yes, I spend about 50% of my time in Asia and I have a modest flat in HK.

Your question is interesting - bottom line HK, China, and Singapore are all km.

Is your car left-hand or right-hand ? At the moment I have a brain fart about Down Under - if you can have both.

I am foggy about almost all details of my time Dpwn Under for my own personal and business reasons. Personal - Bromlyn - she was blonde, she was beautiful, she had a great wit, her folks owned the local pub at one of those "far away" beach communities where you could disappear for 10 yrs , she could even recite the entire prose from the Man from Snowy River, but when she got "pissed" (in the Aussie and Brit sense) you didn't know if she would tear my clothes off or in another mood try to take on a whole rugby team. On the business side, I did 8 weeks of consulting Down Under for a strategic plan based on expenses and a percentage of future sales - a year later my "partner's" were doing major-major $$$ - about AUS$10M - but they had setup another company name, using their same facilities to avoid paying me my profit share (there went my beach house)

They are a good # of cars re-exported via HK - since in HK it it possible to bring a car in by boat and hold it in a "free-zone" awaiting final import into HK or re-export to another destinations, or they can be held in free-zone, then it can be decided to break them down into parts. There are containers and containers of MB's sitting this way in HK every week. These cars come from all parts of the world - including a lot from the US - both right hand drive for smaller markets like HK/Singapore, and a lot more left hand drive for the China market.

Most of the re-export cars that are older - like a 126 - would be shipped to HK to be re-shipped out under "shadow" - meaning shipped without original country registration papers to a broker in another country who could either smuggle in and register in that recipient country (a HUGE business in China) without the original manufacturer or original end-user paperwork, sometimes using a wrecked car in that country for the paperwork.

With a lot of the Asian countries - 2 thing happen - first they have huge taxes for import and registration of a vehicle (many countries limit imports to cars no more than 6 years old) and then some have stringent smog/safety requirements.

China has high duty - but little inspections. So China is the largest "steal to order" market for cars like MB's. A China guy wrecks his MB (duty paid, all legit) then orders the same year/color/model from China's "car mafia" who then steal that car in the US (left-hand drive) - exports to HK, then smuggles into China one way or another and sells to the onwer who uses his original papers to use the new car (and changes the top VIN plate - which rarely is checked).

I am not saying this your car - but you asked a legit question and I am in a talkative mood.

Technically, the original VIN plate should be able to tell you something about the car - and maybe MB dealer could send the VIN to MB-Germany and ask which market the car was originally built for - I really don't know.

Have fun with it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in