On the road again - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I drove a 5,000 mile trip with my son, the old white TE and a bad HG. We did one full coolant change on the trip because of the building monkey pooh issue. Sat in traffic in Phoenix @115F with the AC full on. It was a road trip I will never forget and made bitter-sweet by my son's passing after.

These cars are tanks....especially DD's which mine are and always have been. The running joke I tell all my friends is that I could drive from here to Maine without incident. But the return trip is where it would get interesting.

Go for it!!!

Kevin
neanderthal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What he said on the water wetter.

It could drop your running engine temp by 10 degrees in summer.

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...s%2C348&sr=8-4

And I have a policy of not touching anything mechanical or electrical on my car for 1-2 weeks leading up to trip, depending on trip length. That is in case I screw something up, I don't find out about it while I am on my trip. Rather, give times to find it before I leave.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle: 1991 300ce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd View Post
I drove a 5,000 mile trip with my son, the old white TE and a bad HG. We did one full coolant change on the trip because of the building monkey pooh issue. Sat in traffic in Phoenix @115F with the AC full on. It was a road trip I will never forget and made bitter-sweet by my son's passing after.

These cars are tanks....especially DD's which mine are and always have been. The running joke I tell all my friends is that I could drive from here to Maine without incident. But the return trip is where it would get interesting.

Go for it!!!

Kevin
Ok Kevin, I need you to break a couple of those references you mentioned down for me so I can keep up, lol!

1st one: "bad HG"
2nd one: "building monkey pooh issue"

Man I love this place, not only informative, educational, entertaining, encouraging, but also some of the stories are fun to hear about.

How did you not overheat with the AC on in that type of heat and situation?

That's my issue now when I put my AC on in 80 F plus weather, engine trys to run hot, I get spooked and at 100c to 105c I cut the AC off. The aux fans come on, maybe I should give them a chance to cool things off, but what's the danger zone temp? I just wonder how to keep the ac on and not overheat.

I did put some "Water wet" coolant additive in the coolant this afternoon, but didn't get the chance to drive it much yet. Does that stuff help? How long does it take to go thru the system since it has to be put in the overflow resevoir?

As always thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad head gasket. And "monkey pooh" is this yellow stuff that forms in your coolant while driving with a bad head gasket. The oil is mixing with coolant to form the monkey pooh. The more oil leaking into the coolant, the more pronounced the monkey pooh is.

As long as my coolant was fresh, overheating wasn't a problem. We dropped the coolant in the desert of NM only to be involved in a drug deal gone bad a little ways from us. When they found out we were fully armed as well, they left us alone.

105F is OK if your auxiliary fans keep it there with the AC on. As soon as the AC comes on, the aux fans should come on low if it's before 105F.

Kevin
neanderthal likes this.

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 08-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd View Post
Bad head gasket. And "monkey pooh" is this yellow stuff that forms in your coolant while driving with a bad head gasket. The oil is mixing with coolant to form the monkey pooh. The more oil leaking into the coolant, the more pronounced the monkey pooh is.

As long as my coolant was fresh, overheating wasn't a problem. We dropped the coolant in the desert of NM only to be involved in a drug deal gone bad a little ways from us. When they found out we were fully armed as well, they left us alone.

105F is OK if your auxiliary fans keep it there with the AC on. As soon as the AC comes on, the aux fans should come on low if it's before 105F.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin and man that is one heck of a story!

"We armed and can be dangerous too!"
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
overheating *starts* at 120C where the red stripe is.
neanderthal likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1995 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Today was hot in McKinney. "Temp: 100*F, feels like 109*F" (wtf is that) according to my weather app on my phone. i was rear ended some time ago on my motorcycle and i'd bought the EMTs/ firefighters some cookies at Costco, and I needed something from them. This last seven days is actually the first seven days that i've gone without back pain in the last seven months.

Anyway, left the car running outside with the AC on. Stopped at the supermarket to buy something. Yup, left the car running with the AC on. Both times, when I got back in the car
A it was refreshingly cool inside
B coolant temps were ~110*C.

No cause for concern because
A the low rpm of idle doesn't circulate the coolant as quickly as higher rpms
B once moving, there's a lot more airflow through the heat exchangers anyway.

If you understand how a pressurised cooling system works, and why it's pressurised, you don't worry too much about temps above 100*C. As long as it drops when you're moving and doesn't get too cozy with the red line near 120*C/ overheating.

The hardest thing i've put my cooling system through was carpooling with three teammates from my rugby club to Las Vegas for a game. Steep inclines, heavy load, 3rd gear, AC on. Full throttle. Didn't even get to 100*C
Real1shepherd and drayper like this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastGeek View Post
overheating *starts* at 120C where the red stripe is.
That puts me in the friendlier zone then and in a better frame of mind.

I was mindful of the red stripe, but I was thinking because I typically see folks here talking about 80c is normal even though mine hovers right above 80c with no AC. And so I figured if it started moving to 20c/25 over 80c that that looked scary just approaching the red stripe. Good to know and a relief that 20c/25 over normal operating temp is still acceptable.

Sometimes I have to keep remembering how old these cars are, but I never have to remember how fun they are to drive. Thanks "LCG"

I changed the oil and put in a new filter for the trip yesterday from 10w40 to 15w40 using an extractor pump I got off of Amazon.

Performance Tool W54170 12V Oil Extraction Pump for Automotive, Farm & Marina Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R8FIYFS..._ZMQuDbHXBFXAB

I figured because I had just changed it a little over 1000 miles back in May I'd use the pump.

Today I'll complete my prep list and tomorrow it's on the road..
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 92 300CE/1996 mustang cobra (supercharged)/12 Civic/15 F150/04 F150 mud truck
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
i think the old girl is ready for the trip
drayper likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
400 miles in 5 1/2 hours averaging 75 to 80 when possible and one pit stop half way to fill up half a tank and take a bathroom break. Smooth sailing, temperature stayed at 80c for the most part, even with the Air on. She got a good blowing out. I even took it up to 90 but got a slight vibration around 95 mph. Not sure why.

Even though it got more peppy and responsive on the highway after it got blowed out, I noticed after I got in the city stop and go traffic, it got a bit more sluggish off the line at times Tomorrow I'll check the duty cycle numbers to see if they fluctuated to cause the hesitation off the line. Overall it performed quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in