BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sedan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Good Slotted Rotors and Brake pads for E320 1995

My rear brake pads are starting to squeal and I can tell that they need to be replaced very soon, rotors have grooves in them. I keep looking and all I find are drilled, don't get me wrong they look awesome, but I don't want to deal with stress cracks, and it's just cosmetic. Slotted is the real deal, what are some good ones? Also, I want pads that don't create to much brake dust. Ceramic or Metallic as long as they work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Zimmermann or Balo discs and Pagid pads for the win.

Slotted and especially drilled rotors are a complete waste of money on these cars. The only grooved discs I like are the ATE with the star shaped groove that promotes even pad wear. Once the groove is gone, rotors are done and need replacing.

Last edited by sbaert; 08-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Zimmermann or Balo discs and Pagid pads for the win.

Slotted and especially drilled rotors are a complete waste of money on these cars. The only grooved discs I like are the ATE with the star shaped groove that promotes even pad wear. Once the groove is gone, rotors are done and need replacing.
Thanks for the quick response:
So these Pagid pads are Semi-Metallic: PAGID
but a set of Brembo rear brakes that are Ceramic are cheaper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mercede...N/352520113243
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
You said you wanted good pads. Nothing mentioned about being cheap.

On MB's, the preferred pads are Pagid, Ferodo, and Textar. Nothing wrong in principle with Brembo (a great brand), but they are not a main MB supplier or parts producer except for the higher end stuff like AMG. Again, total overkill for a street driven grandpa car like a W124.
Jayare likes this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap I'm just tryna be smart, because of ceramic pads from Brembo(amg's brake supplier) and many other performance cars are newer more efficient technology than semi-metallic and the fact that it's cheaper surprises me a lot. I am probably going to go with the brembos because I want ceramic pads very little brake dust and very quit, the only drawback is they need to be heated up, but they will also last way longer. But I am more concerned with pads, I do not want to spend more than $300 on brakes. I also don't want really cheap brakes, So, for now, I will go with the brembos unless there is anything way better and I just want some rotors that are slotted, definitely not drilled. Even if the slotted isn't for the track it would do just fine on the streets. So can any of you recommend any companies to go with I don't mind if it's oem or not, I just want something that has a good rep.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E3201995USA View Post
Well I'm not necessarily trying to be cheap I'm just tryna be smart, because of ceramic pads from Brembo(amg's brake supplier) and many other performance cars are newer more efficient technology than semi-metallic and the fact that it's cheaper surprises me a lot. I am probably going to go with the brembos because I want ceramic pads very little brake dust and very quit, the only drawback is they need to be heated up, but they will also last way longer. But I am more concerned with pads, I do not want to spend more than $300 on brakes. I also don't want really cheap brakes, So, for now, I will go with the brembos unless there is anything way better and I just want some rotors that are slotted, definitely not drilled. Even if the slotted isn't for the track it would do just fine on the streets. So can any of you recommend any companies to go with I don't mind if it's oem or not, I just want something that has a good rep.
Brembo one piece rotors warp way too easily. Centric rotors handle a lot more heat without warping. Also prefer metallic over ceramic pads and so do OEMs. In real world driving intial bite in an emergency situation is far more important than dust.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:39 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Mintex discs and pads for me every time, never used any other maker in all my motoring years if they cant make them no one can.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Brembo one piece rotors warp way too easily. Centric rotors handle a lot more heat without warping. Also prefer metallic over ceramic pads and so do OEMs. In real world driving intial bite in an emergency situation is far more important than dust.
I heard the difference between ceramic and semi-metallic is marginal, I doubt it would be a safety risk going from semi-metallic to ceramic. But I guess if you are all saying semi-metallic is better on our cars I guess I'll just use it, I am so sick and tired of trying to get brake dust off my rims though. So i like the look of the ATE Power Disc but I can't find any for sale!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why do you ask for advice then argue with whats offered ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastGeek View Post
Why do you ask for advice then argue with whats offered ?
Well, I am not arguing I just said that I read that the difference isn't much but since you guys have more experience than me ill just take your word on it. I wanted this thread to have multiple people with experience, just cause one guy says something is the best doesn't mean it's the best. This is an important and expensive task for me and I want to make sure I get everything perfect. I don't want something I'll regret. There were like 2 million w124's produced and I know there are more people out there who know what's best for these cars. I brake pretty aggressively, and I "leadfoot" it at some lights. All I want are brakes that function good that generate less brake dust and that aren't noisy, right now my rims are like dirty three days after washing my car. I barely drive. My rear brakes are nearly gone and need replacing soon. Front is OK. If the trade of is a little less initial bite for the less brake dust and longer-lasting pads, then IMO so worth it. I don't come to this forum to argue, I ask about my discoveries like Brembo ceramic brake pads to see if anyone has used them and if they are any good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in