post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2018
Vehicle: 1995 E320 Sedan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
And again this car has so much potential, maybe a beemer is easier to do, but that doesn't make it as fun. I would love to slowly transition my stock car, to a more modern streetcar. Like I understand all of you have your own products and going OEM, but I don't care at all. If a product is good I'll take it. I just despise how I get flamed for not using 23-year-old development research Mercedes did in 1995. Like in 23 years the technology for designing car parts has got much better. If they rebuilt all w124s from the frame with today's tech they would last at 50 years by being properly maintained. Now I'm arguing a little because I am trying to get this point across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Semi metallic is what works best for street driven cars, and is still what is used by the manufacturers of brand new cars. End of conversation.

A hydraulic brake system works by dissipating heat. Ceramic pads (despite containing copper) do not disperse heat nearly as well as metallic pads, resulting in heat transfer into the rest of the braking system which can then result in reduced initial brake bite, less pedal feel among others.

Ask all of the Porsche 911 and BMW M heads who "had to have" carbon brakes only to swap them over to metal come disc & pad time.

You want to the best year round brakes for street use? Besides the obligatory pads & rotors, spend the coins on brand new flex lines (such as Stoptech), a brand new master cylinder, new calipers and a top spec fluid like ATE Typ200

If you want to reduce brake dust, change your driving style and learn to read the road ahead of you. In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.

Last edited by sbaert; 08-11-2019 at 04:25 AM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Any pads for these cars are realitvley cheap. I'd say go for what you want, and report back honestly. If you don't like em, swap out for something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.
Except when you're in an emergency and you actually need those cold brakes to stop you as quickly as possible. But you used ceramic brake pads so your cold stopping distance is 15 feet longer than with the metallic pads the car was designed to use. Oh well, at least you won't have to worry about cleaning the brake dust off your wrecked car's wheels.

Last edited by tjts1; 08-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I tried ceramic pads a few years ago to reduce/eliminate brake dust on the wheels. I hated them. Kept thinking they'd break in and get better but they didn't after maybe a thousand miles I pulled them and installed Pagid or Textar. Until I tried the ceramics those were the only brands I used and since I tried the ceramics those are the only brands I use. Just bought Ate and Zimmerman front/rotors for 2 of my 124s and Textar pads.

OP If you want the ceramic pads I'll send them to you for the shipping cost. I think I bought 2 sets for a 1988 300TE. Rear ceramic pads weren't available for an 88 sedan at that time. If you want to pursue this I'll dig out the pads and snap some pics.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok, this is what I wanted multiple proper opinions. DEFINITELY going with Semi-Metallic now, I understand I keep saying this but what is the BEST Semi-Metallic Pad that bites well, is quiet, and has less brake dust than the Mercedes Benz ones. The brakes on my car were installed by the dealership. I'm noticing PAGID or Textar is mentioned a lot so it must be really good. For the rotors I just want slotted badly, I understand that it doesn't do much, but just for the aesthetics it would go well with my rims. I even think the ATE Power Disc looks cool, but If there is anything else slotted that doesn't suck I'll take it!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Semi metallic is what works best for street driven cars, and is still what is used by the manufacturers of brand new cars. End of conversation.

A hydraulic brake system works by dissipating heat. Ceramic pads (despite containing copper) do not disperse heat nearly as well as metallic pads, resulting in heat transfer into the rest of the braking system which can then result in reduced initial brake bite, less pedal feel among others.

Ask all of the Porsche 911 and BMW M heads who "had to have" carbon brakes only to swap them over to metal come disc & pad time.

You want to the best year round brakes for street use? Besides the obligatory pads & rotors, spend the coins on brand new flex lines (such as Stoptech), a brand new master cylinder, new calipers and a top spec fluid like ATE Typ200

If you want to reduce brake dust, change your driving style and learn to read the road ahead of you. In other words, the brake pedal is your enemy and when you must use it do so as little as possible. No reason to jam on the brakes at every light.
Will changing the brake lines to steel ones do anything noticeable, cause I think mine are in amazing condition also, the calipers, and master cylinder, I have a feeling I need to change my brake fluid as I don't know the last time it was changed.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Installing the steel braid lines reduces/minimizes flex in the lines and improves pedal feel.

Re. said lines, just because they are stainless steel does not mean they are exempt from regular inspections and replacement like their rubber brethren.

Re. Pad choices. Semi metallics are dusty, that's just the nature of the beast but if I had to pick I'd go with the Pagids. The Textars seem the dustiest.

MB OE pads are Textar.

Forget the slotted rotor thing, instead focus on rotors that do not warp easily such as the Zimmermann ones.

You can't determine the health of a master cylinder or calipers just because it looks shiny from the outside. It's the internal rubber seals that perish with age. A brand new master cylinder can do miracles for having great pedal feel.
Jayare likes this.

Last edited by sbaert; 08-11-2019 at 11:49 PM.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Installing the steel braid lines reduces/minimizes flex in the lines and improves pedal feel.

Re. said lines, just because they are stainless steel does not mean they are exempt from regular inspections and replacement like their rubber brethren.

Re. Pad choices. Semi metallics are dusty, that's just the nature of the beast but if I had to pick I'd go with the Pagids. The Textars seem the dustiest.

MB OE pads are Textar.

Forget the slotted rotor thing, instead focus on rotors that do not warp easily such as the Zimmermann ones.

You can't determine the health of a master cylinder or calipers just because it looks shiny from the outside. It's the internal rubber seals that perish with age. A brand new master cylinder can do miracles for having great pedal feel.
I guess I can go with Pagids, if the have a little less dust then texture that awesome. I know you guys are the experts, but rotors can only warp if the are really hot and go through cycles of heat and cold, someone said only if they are red hot? Zimmerman sounds like awesome rotors, and I also kinda love the look of the cross-drilled even if it has absolutely no performance gains whatsoever, just for the looks on my car. Here you said yourself Jayare that "I have been very, very pleased the stopping ability of the ceramic pads and Zimmerman's." So is there anything that happened that changed your opinion. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...agid-pads.html. I am fine right now doing the brake lines, but I really don't want to touch the master cylinder unless I upgrade it.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
the stock brakes on all 3 of my w124's work great, I've never experienced fade or pulsing like I did on my volvos until I put Akebono rotors on them.

fyi, actually warped rotors are very uncommon... instead, you get uneven deposits on the rotors, and that causes pulsing when things get a little warmed up. properly heat cycling new brakes will forestall this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in