post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: '92 400E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Understanding W124 Fog Lights

A few years ago I regrettably had to sell my 1992 400E. One of the many things I miss about that car were the integrated fog lights. I remember turning them on and being able to see better in fog, rain, snow, and any glaring conditions. Wonderful! I’d like to replicate that performance in my current vehicle by adding quality auxiliary lights.

Here is the problem: my memory of the “fog” lights in the Benz was that they were more like amber (maybe selective yellow?) driving lights with a dispersion pattern more like a low beam than the flat, low, wide pattern normally deemed as “fog” lights. In the world of aftermarket lights you generally have fog light models with the low flat pattern meant to be mounted low. Alternatively there are “driving lights” which are available in clear and yellow but essentially are a floodlight that is only meant for off road use.

My questions are these:

Does anyone actually know what the specs on the original yellow lights in the grille of the W124 are such as dispersion pattern and specific color? And can anyone recommend an aftermarket product with similar performance characteristics that will be safe and legal for on-road use?

I’m driving a Subaru now and I can get away with mounting rally-style lights. I just can’t seem to find something that will get me there.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1995 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
You can buy aftermarket fog lights and mount them to your bumper. Just make sure they are "fog lights" as most places will have driving/ highway/ spot/ long distance lights. That's what the punters are buying.

Fog lights emit a wider, "low- power" beam, while driving lights emit a brighter, narrower, much longer beam of light. Mount them low (They're supposed to enable you to see the fog line (white/ yellow line on the right side of the lane) in adverse conditions.) for the best effect.

On motorcycles, where space is at a premium, it's common to mount a spot light on the left side and a fog light on the right. Obviously the combo is to enable one to see the fog line and nearside, possibly animals, etc, on the right, while the driving beam gives you the longer beam to be able to see up the road.

Last edited by neanderthal; 08-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
the 500E has driving lights which activate with the high beams where the fog lamps are on the other w124 models, and it has fog lamps mounted in the chin spoiler under the bumper.

nicest aftermarket fogs I've used are the Hella MicroDE, these use an H3 bulb and are projectors, you can get Hella YellowStar H3's and put them in it. I ran these on my motorcycle, and I had them on my volvo 740 wagon which didn't have any sort of aux lights from the factory, but had the wiring for them.

i never did cut them into my front bumper on the 740. that was my original plan but they worked quite well just sitting under the bumper, so here they are sticking out.

and here they are 'on', with the Yellowstar bulbs, as seen from well below the lowbeam cutoff line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:56 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
WCG dam me that was one of the best cars i ever had 740 GLE est .I had the 240 GLT before that and lI oved them both.Built like a tank .Went on then to the V70 nice but without the charisma of the 740 . Over here the the spot lights on the W124 are nothing special.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: '92 400E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey LeftCoastGeek! Nice job with the micros. I've got to look into them. Very good looking on the Volvo.

Alas I miss my Benz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2533168  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in