post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1shepherd View Post
OK great....that now gives me something to go by. My original '92 white 4Matic TE is permanently up on ramps. When I get a chance, I'll slither under there and look at my configuration. If you're in a hurry, I can't help you right now.

You do indeed have the black disconnect button. Also, if it truly is the '92 system...there's a bleeder in the TC itself on the bottom and another bleeder close to that in a hydraulic hard line. If you have that bleeder, you have my system.

From the look of it, you should replace the nitrogen accumulator screwed into the hydraulic valve. Also trace the pressure transducer from where it's screwed into the hydraulic valve back to where it becomes cable. If you see any hydraulic oil leak, replace. Also the two solenoids screwed into the hydraulic valve will leak due to flattened O-rings....pull them out, replace the O-rings, coat with hydraulic oil and reinstall. I don't see the pressure transducer in your pics.......on Pete's top 'dirty' pic, the transducer is just to the left of the sphere with the cable coming out of it. System will not work without it.

Kevin
Okay, I'm not sure what you are referring to with "pressure transducer". Please enlighten me. I'm not sure what you are pointing to in the other picture. Also, I looked at the electronic catalog that I had and realized there were diagrams for two configurations. I have the second one and it looks like there is no line "M" or service valve. I think we're good on that front. Thanks for all your help by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The wiring harness may be wonky. Real1sheperd, would you mind posting a photo of yours? The reason I think it may be screwed up is two of the wires pulled out of the harness. I want to put them back correct. I think that may be the reason I'm not getting a 4matic light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5898.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	2532472  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
OK....I'm working up in rock cliffs all week and it's over 100F here. I have zero energy when I get home.....I'm raising a five yr old and I'm old....lol.

I'll try to get under my car this weekend sometime and take pics. Are you talking about that round harness terminal in the pic? I'll get a clear shot at the pressure transducer too. The Germans have another name for it, but that's what it is. It senses minute wheel slip through the hydraulics and the 4Matic brain decides what mode to put the car in. It has to be 100% for the system to work. Normally they start leaking at the end of their life.

I'll take pics and point things out with my finger....don't remember how to circle and arrow things on PC pics.

Kevin
PWogaman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
OK....I'm working up in rock cliffs all week and it's over 100F here. I have zero energy when I get home.....I'm raising a five yr old and I'm old....lol.

I'll try to get under my car this weekend sometime and take pics. Are you talking about that round harness terminal in the pic? I'll get a clear shot at the pressure transducer too. The Germans have another name for it, but that's what it is. It senses minute wheel slip through the hydraulics and the 4Matic brain decides what mode to put the car in. It has to be 100% for the system to work. Normally they start leaking at the end of their life.

I'll take pics and point things out with my finger....don't remember how to circle and arrow things on PC pics.

Kevin
Yes, I’m talking about the round harness. I may end up having to find a new one. If anybody can find the part number that would be great! Also: is the circled part the one you are talking about? If so, U do have it and it actually looks new compared to the other wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB5A4F73-5DD0-47BA-89A1-AAFB69738B4E_1565111637384.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	2532848  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbrooksbank View Post
Yes, Im talking about the round harness. I may end up having to find a new one. If anybody can find the part number that would be great! Also: is the circled part the one you are talking about? If so, U do have it and it actually looks new compared to the other wires.
In Pete's pic, there is more than likely an old hydraulic leak and hence the caked dirt. Yes, that's it. Make sure there is no oil dripping from where the mechanical body part morphs into that cable.....that's where they leak and it's not a fixable part.

I used pressure transducers all the time when I was in the well pump business...senses minute changes in pressure and alerts the controller brain to ramp up the well pump. Wheel slip in the front is monitored by the ABS sensors and the stator 'teeth' on the front axles....the rear is monitored by a sensor in the rear axle. The pressure transducer senses minute changes in the 4Matic hydraulic system and relays that information to the 4Matic brain.

Kevin
Jayare and rpbrooksbank like this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
In Pete's pic, there is more than likely an old hydraulic leak and hence the caked dirt. Yes, that's it. Make sure there is no oil dripping from where the mechanical body part morphs into that cable.....that's where they leak and it's not a fixable part.

I used pressure transducers all the time when I was in the well pump business...senses minute changes in pressure and alerts the controller brain to ramp up the well pump. Wheel slip in the front is monitored by the ABS sensors and the stator 'teeth' on the front axles....the rear is monitored by a sensor in the rear axle. The pressure transducer senses minute changes in the 4Matic hydraulic system and relays that information to the 4Matic brain.

Kevin
Then, I do have that part, and, like I said, it appears to be a newer part. For those interested, the part number for the wiring connector is: A 000 545 38 40 BRACKET REAR AXLE TRANSFER CASE PLUG CONNECTION. I ordered one through the local dealership for less than $20. It's coming from Germany and should be here next week. Now all I have to figure out is which wires go where and which direction they insert into the connector.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
The connector is kinda odd.....in the way it holds the wires. You'll probably look at it and wonder how the cables are put in there. If you look carefully at the whole unit, it opens up like a clam....there's a place to put a screwdriver in and pry the thing open. Any OTHER attempt at trying to open the thing or trying to pull the sockets out will ruin the holder.

First, you grab the whole socket while against the car and turn....that releases just the wire holder half. Then look for the place to pry that holder apart. Make sure the factory ties that hold the cable bundle stay within the red marks on the cables....important.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in