Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 1993 Mercedes-Benz 220E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
I think the OP meant dry (bushings), but that is a educated guess on my part.

OP, when it comes to suspension on these cars it's either OE MB and some Lemforder, or bust. Anything else is rubber Chinese dog shite, and even Lemforder is going the Long Duck Dong route. Caveat emptor/buyer beware, it pays to pay a bit more for peace of mind and longevity.
@sbaert

Bro I also forgot to tell you sadly i searched before for Lemforder and turned that we don't have Lemforder here, don't know the "bust" actually, we have Sachs for some suspension parts but there wasn't any for the springs, when I needed to change the springs I went for the shops (don't remember if they were not having ones in the warehouse or if Sachs didn't manufacture any springs) but i remember that i didn't find Sachs that day or I would've bought it, I replaced my front shock absorbers only with Sachs and till now they're still strong.

As far as I know, all the spare parts manufacturers here are:

- OM MB
- Bosch
- Fibi
- Sachs
- Meyle
- Trucktic or whatever the name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
If you can feel the problem as easily as you describe, it should be easy to find the failed suspension joint. I too would be looking closely at the multi links at the rear.
@tuttebenne

I'll check those too bro thanks a lot
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
If the wheels were hanging freely when things were tightened, that would explain why the rear ride height was really high at first and it's possible the bushings tore when it settled down. They have a certain amount of elasticity to allow normal suspension travel, but if you tighten them down while the suspension is drooping, there isn't enough range to allow compression.

Another thing to check is the lower arm outer bearings. They wear out faster (in my experience) than the link bushings, so if they haven't been done, I can pretty much guaranty that they are toast. I don't think they, alone, would cause the sensation you are experiencing unless something else is out ofwhack, but worth checking.
luckymike likes this.

1993 300D "Elsie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update

First of all, I want to thank every single one of you for your suggestions

And second I checked on the rear end today and there were tree (NEW) main defects I found:

1- both rear wheel bearings @LeftCoastGeek mentioned were worn out and the tires had a significant movement/play on them when the car is jacked with brakes applied plus there is a frequent clicking sound (like with every tire rotation) from the right rear tire with dead stop accelerations, unfortunately, I thought I can easily pull out the bearing right after removing the rim and the wheel hob but it looks like it has a fancy way to dismantle it, from the internal side maybe? I don't know!

* @chuckh0308 Is it the same "the lower arm outer bearings" you mentioned?

2 - the rear right CV axle calf, the tire side, not the diff side was brittle and looked like sh#t

3 - the front left main subframe bushing was broken, like completely destroyed

Regarding the multi-links, they were all tight and they seemed in perfect condition

In my book, these were enough to make this sort of play/floating feel or what you think guys?
Jayare likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Let us know how it drives after you've solved those serious problems.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sadly this is the end game I think, I was previously thinking of letting this car for weekends driving instead of consuming it with daily driving the way I'm doing, as I'm now saving for down payment of a brand new daily driver, was thinking a Ford Taurus, and this job alone needs more 400 USD and that's just to make the car safe to drive which is crucial on my wallet in this time plus she needs to rest for awhile in a covered shaded place so I can fix a simple thing each time in a peace of mind at least the obvious jobs until finishing all of them without risking driving it with other problems that might develop other issues just like was doing, I think a comfortable perfectly air-conditioned +300k km at least under my ownership in the past 4 years in the toughest weather & driving conditions was no additional bet on the W124 reliability.

But of course those recently mentioned defects will be the first to go in my restoration process and I'll be happy to give you the feedbacks once I finish them, still, I don't suspect I will be able to start in them in less than many many months ahead in these financial crises and the starving with a car financed in installments .
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2017
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Whenever I think about a new car v. keeping the one I have and fixing it, i can never get the new car numbers to pencil out.

Now granted this assumes a few things:
1) you can both accomplish your own work on your car, and you actually LIKE doing so
2)you have the space and tools to do so comfortably
3)you have an additional car to get around in while you work on the one that is down
4)you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest tech integrated into your transportation
5) you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest safety innovations in your transportation.

Brian, this 124 has more style and craftsmanship in its gearshift knob than the Taurus will ever have.

If the rest of the car is solid (not rusting away) I personally hope you donít give up on it! the initial outlay for parts might be steep, but new car payments are forever

Best of luck in whatever path you choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
Whenever I think about a new car v. keeping the one I have and fixing it, i can never get the new car numbers to pencil out.

1) you can both accomplish your own work on your car, and you actually LIKE doing so
3)you have an additional car to get around in while you work on the one that is down
4)you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest tech integrated into your transportation
5) you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest safety innovations in your transportation.

Brian, this 124 has more style and craftsmanship in its gearshift knob than the Taurus will ever have.

If the rest of the car is solid (not rusting away) I personally hope you donít give up on it! the initial outlay for parts might be steep, but new car payments are forever

Thankfully all of the 5 assumptions you mentioned applies to me drastically except for no. (2)
I have the tools thought but I don't have space like a spacious and shaded garage, that's why I was talking with one of my friends about leaving my car in his garage to give the car a little break.

Thankfully it is solid as hell with no accidents at all, just few parking dents and bumps here and there, and 100% rust free, in this climate we only know rust from pictures.

about:
"4)you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest tech integrated into your transportation
5) you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest safety innovations in your transportation".
I'm absolutely the exact opposite of those particular two, in fact, i live in a place were 80% of people surrounding me are ridiculously terribly addicted to this kind of stuff mind you if you ask one of them you'll find out they're drowned with depts like letterly submerged with not less than a 5 digits number, I'm not joking I've met a lot, I never understood their definition of luxury, quality, and craftsmanship previously existed in old Benzes is now about a hideously designed paper body gadgets filled with that has nothing but a one ugly big flip-up screen were you can smell the interior cheap plastic a mile away, sadly even most of new Benzes are now rubbish.

"Brian, this 124 has more style and craftsmanship in its gearshift knob than the Taurus will ever have", never agreed more!

I just think it was too much using it the past 4 years every day to go to (my work/my college/my two sisters colleges/and all other trips, that's why I want another car I won't get attached much to it (drive and forget), that has a spacious, comfortable, quiet & reliable ride with a very conventional and simple engine/trans configuration and a very low final drive you know like old-school stuff not necessarily luxurious, my grandfather used to have a 2005 Toyota Avalon and only if they still producing this car I would've bought it without thinking, unfortunately, they don't, the new Avalon is a total failure and nowhere near the old one, new Honda Accord is ugly with both engines available only with TT, GM trash are all now Korean cheap sh#t terrible in every possible way with their GDI engines (a technology that should have never existed), I would never ever even jump to one, so there are no much choices nowadays that's why I settled with a Taurus.

Anyways thank you very much for your sincere wishes for me
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a777fan View Post

Thankfully all of the 5 assumptions you mentioned applies to me drastically except for no. (2)
I have the tools thought but I don't have space like a spacious and shaded garage, that's why I was talking with one of my friends about leaving my car in his garage to give the car a little break.

Thankfully it is solid as hell with no accidents at all, just few parking dents and bumps here and there, and 100% rust free, in this climate we only know rust from pictures.

about:
"4)you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest tech integrated into your transportation
5) you arenít a nutter for the newest/latest and greatest safety innovations in your transportation".
I'm absolutely the exact opposite of those particular two, in fact, i live in a place were 80% of people surrounding me are ridiculously terribly addicted to this kind of stuff mind you if you ask one of them you'll find out they're drowned with depts like letterly submerged with not less than a 5 digits number, I'm not joking I've met a lot, I never understood their definition of luxury, quality, and craftsmanship previously existed in old Benzes is now about a hideously designed paper body gadgets filled with that has nothing but a one ugly big flip-up screen were you can smell the interior cheap plastic a mile away, sadly even most of new Benzes are now rubbish.

"Brian, this 124 has more style and craftsmanship in its gearshift knob than the Taurus will ever have", never agreed more!

I just think it was too much using it the past 4 years every day to go to (my work/my college/my two sisters colleges/and all other trips, that's why I want another car I won't get attached much to it (drive and forget), that has a spacious, comfortable, quiet & reliable ride with a very conventional and simple engine/trans configuration and a very low final drive you know like old-school stuff not necessarily luxurious, my grandfather used to have a 2005 Toyota Avalon and only if they still producing this car I would've bought it without thinking, unfortunately, they don't, the new Avalon is a total failure and nowhere near the old one, new Honda Accord is ugly with both engines available only with TT, GM trash are all now Korean cheap sh#t terrible in every possible way with their GDI engines (a technology that should have never existed), I would never ever even jump to one, so there are no much choices nowadays that's why I settled with a Taurus.

Anyways thank you very much for your sincere wishes for me
a777fan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in