Date registered: Jul 2017
Vehicle: 1993 300TE VIN: WBDEA92E7PF248963
Location: United States
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
A quick update:
I have done the following since my last post. I finished today:
1. Removed aux fan shroud, cleaned condenser with coil cleaner, and used a pressure washer (electric) to pressure was the ENTIRE condenser. (both sides of condenser)
2. Replaced the viscous fan clutch with a new MB OEM clutch.
3. Replaced all hoses with MB OEM hoses.
4. Flushed coolant a few terms and replaced with new Zerex G-05.
It took me longer than planned due to things like having to special order expanding rivets for the aux fan shroud...and special ordering the fasteners for the pieces that go to the left and right of the condenser....
I cranked up today, checked for leaks and seems as though all is correct. Tomorrow I will double check the transmission fluid to make sure I didn't lose any while removing the radiator.
WHAT I NOTICED when I started it back up:
1. I hear the "roar" when the engine is warm and the fan clutch is engaged. This was definitely not the case with the old clutch. Even when the engine is running at idle there is a significantly higher amount of air being moved with the new fan clutch.
2. In 95F weather I was able to let the engine idle, with the a/c on, for about 45 minus and the engine temp never got above @85C. Prior to the changes it would have been closer to 95 or greater.
Tomorrow I will drive in stop and go traffic, 90F-92F ambient temperatures....and see what happens.
So far....the results are great.