LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I'll bet you're excited about getting your baby back on the road!

I noticed that your pulleys are quite rusty. If I were you, I'd take a wire wheel to them and then repaint them, or at least put something like a very thin coat of, say, linseed oil on them. I have an old Toyota pickup that just used to positively eat fan belts (the old style ones). It was quite a mystery until I figured out that it was the rust on the pulleys destroying them. Once I cleaned up the pulleys, it stopped eating fan belts.

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where I really ought to get around to changing the coolant in my SLK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
@CheckEngine Thank you and I will definitely be cleaning up the pulleys before I put a new belt on. They actually aren't as bad as the photos make them look but I'll be taking a wire wheel to them. It sure is exciting!
CheckEngine likes this.
post #83 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
(Thread Starter)
I got the throttle actuator installed last night which completes the motor itself and all associated vacuum lines and wiring (minus the valve cover).
I went to install the new drive belt and discovered the whole tensioner assembly was all frozen up. I thought it was strange that the damper was completely compressed when I installed that the other day but didn't think much of it because I have never dealt with the version 1 tensioner setup before, my 95 wagon had the much simpler version 2 auto tensioner. Anyway, after loosening the bolt in the center of the tensioner and spraying everything down, it takes a lot of force to move the tensioner at all. The adjustment rod is not happy. So, another parts order will need to happen, which stinks. I started another thread to see if anybody has ever converted their version 1 setup to a version 2 setup but I have my doubts.
Brand wise, Febi seems to be it at many retailers. I'm not a Febi fan but I'm also not spending $300 on a MB tensioner. I see Rockauto lists a Gates one and a Dayco one. Not sure about either of those.

Last edited by dtsdig; 05-07-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have two 95 TE's that have different belt tensioners. One of each. Like you, I find the spring loaded version is much better that the old style.

I suspect the two versions would swap out. Otherwise, the blocks would need to be different due to theounting holes. Measure the pattern of the mounting holes on the block and see if they mate up to the spring loaded version.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
CheckEngine likes this.
post #85 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
You can swap out, but need the fan bearing cover from gen 2 I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"alte Schulqualität"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #86 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblejoe View Post
You can swap out, but need the fan bearing cover from gen 2 I think.
I think you are correct. There is part number 1042001328 for the gen 2 fan bearing bracket and 1042001528 for the gen 1 version. I wonder what else changes with hardware, etc. I know the belt length is different as well. I wish I had both version cars in front of me.
In any case, in the interest of getting this beast fired up again, I just ordered the Febi kit and Stabilus damper. Parts should be here Friday which is also when I hope to have the refreshed valve cover back.
With any luck, I will be firing this baby up this weekend!
Jayare and CheckEngine like this.
post #87 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Here’s some shots from the powder coating guy. It should be done tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #88 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2015
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure the people doing this job dont get the powder coat inside .
I removed a cover a few weeks ago ,- i will say it was an older W124 and all the black paint of the outer cover was missing, and insidethe cover i found that the paint was bubbled up ready to fall off ,,,and most had fell in to the valve lifters and cam shaft . Worth looking at your cars guys with these mercedes that have black rocker boxes that are powder coated ,.This is the truth i know .And if you open up your rocker box covers of the older type you will see the same fault. I hope yours is not like the one i opened up

This is a retro ride .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #89 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
The original paint on the inside of my cover was flaking in some areas. I asked that the inside be blasted as well but it won't be coated inside.
Real1shepherd and CheckEngine like this.
post #90 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
I pulled the belt tensioner, damper and adjuster shaft out of the car yesterday. Pretty easy job with the right tools. I've got a really old Snapon 3/8" air ratchet that is a torque monster which makes removing pulley bolts a piece of cake. Once the water pump and PS pump pulleys were out of the way, it's just a few bolts to get the tensioner and bracket out. It's funny I'm still pulling things apart when I'm supposed to be putting things back together! Oh well, it will give me a chance to clean up that side of the block better than I could before. Strangely, the adjuster shaft was actually fine (I thought I stripped it the other night) and the bushing/bearing/rubber on the tensioner all looked fine but I do believe it is pretty bound up. I'm glad to be replacing it all and amazingly, the little plastic ring with the pointer on it is still in perfect shape.
CheckEngine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in