Blown Head Gasket! Questions.... - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
I also wanted to add, I spent almost $500 on parts yesterday. I bought all of the little bits needed to get the motor in tip top shape including new motor mounts and a trans mount. God knows what Iíve spent between this car and the 95 wagon we had. I have no illusions about old MB ownership, which frankly, you guys should know based on my history here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Nahh, nobody is knocking you! Just providing good council. Looks like the W124 gods we're looking out for you.
For difficult jobs, I personally want to do and be done, i try to remove as many variables as possible. As I'm getting older and my time is the most valuable commodity.
dtsdig likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #63 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Ever wonder what would happen if either the offending oil return line was welded shut or a channel was fabricated to route the oil past the parting line so it never gets near the HG again? I suspect problem solved rather than the "Band-aid" of the latest Mercedes gasket which eventually will fail again.
dtsdig likes this.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
(Thread Starter)
I hear that, @humblejoe ! My time is the biggest thing and is the very reason why this car wasn't even diagnosed when it crapped out 2 years ago. We had just bought a house with major issues and there was no end in sight. Things have come a long way since then and I'm glad to finally be tearing into this old car.

I picked up a whole bunch of cleaning supplies and brushes yesterday so I can get the block cleaned up. I am debating on pulling the alternator bracket off so I can really clean up that side. Once I start receiving all the parts, I still need to pick up new coolant, a citric acid flush and probably some other consumables. I did get new plugs, even though the ones that were in there barely had any miles on them. I'm also replacing several coolant hoses and the thermostat.
post #65 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
Ever wonder what would happen if either the offending oil return line was welded shut or a channel was fabricated to route the oil past the parting line so it never gets near the HG again? I suspect problem solved rather than the "Band-aid" of the latest Mercedes gasket which eventually will fail again.
I've wondered in anyone has ever welded in the chamfer at the intersection of the head, block, timing chain cover to prevent the possibility of oil pooling there again. ( I don't remember which specific piece has the chamfer, the head?)
post #66 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
I've wondered in anyone has ever welded in the chamfer at the intersection of the head, block, timing chain cover to prevent the possibility of oil pooling there again. ( I don't remember which specific piece has the chamfer, the head?)
Just like how an engineer protects an oil pressure line at the head gasket (metal insert) the same thing at the cylinder 6 oil return line would solve this problem forever. The next HG failure I have will get this fix. Its easy and its permanent.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
post #67 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Teardown continues. Iíve got the head all cleaned up, the lower intake manifold and throttle body, valve cover and alternator. I have all the bolts out of the alternator bracket but still need to pull it. Then I can work on cleaning up the block.
I installed new motor mounts the other day and couldnít believe the height difference from new to old. Also, the old ones rattle when you shake them.
Still waiting on the head gasket and a bunch of parts. Ordered a new fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector o-rings and a fuel filter.
In the meantime, a coil spring broke on the front of my Audi, so thatís in the works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #68 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have a breakdown of what all of the o-rings and washers are for in the head gasket kit? The large red o-ring goes in the upper timing cover. Not so sure about everything else.
Attached Images

post #69 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Question Need some help

I could really use some help with the washers and o-rings in the above post. None of the parts breakdowns I have found actually list out what parts come with the head gasket kit. There are 5 metal washers of a couple different sizes, a fat dark gray o-ring, a larger black o-ring and a larger red o-ring (that one I know is for the timing cover). Also, the little two hole gasket is for the air pump to block connection but I'm not clear on whether I am supposed to leave the original rubber o-ring in the air pump connection pipe and mate that to the new gasket, or if the new gasket replaces the o-ring. I do not remember taking off a two hole gasket like that.

Last edited by dtsdig; 04-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #70 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Well, I can tell you that the two hole gasket definitely needs to be used in conjunction with the rubber o-ring that is installed in the air pump pipe outlet. Looking at it last night, there is no way a seal would be created without the o-ring up against the gasket.
I've got the exhaust manifolds installed on the head again. Looking good so far.
CheckEngine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in