Blown Head Gasket! Questions.... - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
When it comes to seals and gaskets on German cars, I always go OE without exception.

Nothing worse than having to do the same job twice, especially if you're not getting paid on round 2.
CheckEngine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
The original gaskets literally say Elring on them. I would call that OE, no? Anyway, that's what I'm proceeding with.
post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
The original gaskets literally say Elring on them. I would call that OE, no? Anyway, that's what I'm proceeding with.
Ask that question to the M103 guys re. Bosch cap and rotors. You can buy the Bosch branded stuff and have it last 6 months to a year if you're lucky. OR buy the OE MB cap and rotor made by Bosch and have it last years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Hope everybody's doing fine!
My personal experience with the blasted HG job, that was 7 years ago or so, everybody said use Victor-Reinz, I did, lasted about 3-4 years, then after 16K miles it started leaking at #6 passenger side USA, just oil leaking for now , no mixing of coolant, Yet!, some said John you didn't torque the head bolts right, I thought I did but then again had a crappy torque wrench.
What I don't get, if I did a lousy job why would it last 16K miles then start leaking? I just figured it was the bad Victor-Reinz gasket!
next time I'll get it from our dealer here, from what I've learned from this forum I need the updated thicker gasket that that address's the weak point at #6.
CheckEngine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
Then again maybe the head warped? does get very hot here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

OE and OEM are not necessarily the same thing. Just because it came from the same manufacturer that supplies to MB does not mean the part is identical.

The only exception would be in those rare cases where the manufacturer grounds off the MB star to sell directly in their own packaging. Example Pierburg diesel vacuum pumps.

As for the headgasket example stated by John, AFAIK only MB reinforced their gasket to address the issue. I have never seen a properly installed updated MB head gasket (that means machine shop time to check the head) with brand new head bolts go.

As for the others like Victor Reinz, your guess is as good as mine.
lowesguy and CheckEngine like this.
post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Buncha W124's
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
OE and OEM are not necessarily the same thing.
These are indeed different. OE means "Genuine Mercedes" from a dealership. Even if you buy an OE part from an aftermarket vendor, it originally came from an MB dealer/warehouse first. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is the manufacturer who makes the OE part. You'll only get OEM from aftermarket vendors, never the MB dealer. A lot of people think OE and OEM mean the same thing, but that is not accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Just because it came from the same manufacturer that supplies to MB does not mean the part is identical.
Correct. Most of the time, if the same mfr sells a part via aftermarket channels, it may be identical with the MB star logo ground off. But they could also be parts which failed to meet more-stringent MB specs and these "seconds" end up in the aftermarket channel at a lower price. Or they could be truly identical. There's no way to know for sure. That said, the OEM item is likely going to be better than anything else except OE.

Non-OEM would be third-party mfr's that are basically copying the original design, maybe as cheap as possible... think APA/URO/FEQ. There are also some aftermarket brands that stick "Germany" into their name or logo in a thinly-veiled attempt to make you think the part is made in Germany, when it isn't. Meyle and ACM are two that I can think of offhand. If there is no COO (Country of Origin) label on the part or package, it's safe to assume the worst.

Be careful out there.

CheckEngine likes this.
post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Bottom line, can you redo a head gasket for $50? If not it's money well spent. Go MB..👍

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Its part of ownership , but man they sure run great afterwards!

John
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
Well, I seemed to have stirred the pot! You guys got to keep in mind, I have no idea what the future plans of this car are are or how long Iím going to keep it. Itís never going to be some unicorn that draws the high bid on bring-a-trailer or anything. I donít need any lessons on OE vs OEM. I am quite familiar. Iím not some 17 year old with his first car.
As luck would have it (or not have it), when I went to total up my orders yesterday, the Elring head gasket kit went out of stock, on backorder, and was automatically removed from my cart. I checked around again and ECS, Pelican and FCP now all said out of stock!
MB it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in