Blown Head Gasket! Questions.... - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
@dolucasi Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you guys know of any product that help clean corrosion off of aluminum parts like my intake manifold, alternator, power steering pump and other brackets, etc.? Also, while I will definitely be going with the MB head gasket kit, what about the valve cover kit? I've seen Elring and Victor Reinz as much cheaper alternatives to MB for the valve cover kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Any part that is not electrical should be tossed in the steam oven with the head at the machine shop. It will come out clean (like your piston) and will look like brand new out of factory. Wish I had done that myself as I had to clean the intake manifold with diesel, ours on end. Busted my back in the process as it was not out of the car. The head/valves etc. that the machine shop pre-cleaned were spotless.

As for the gaskets, good you decided with genuine Mercedes on the head kit, it is a job you want to repeat.

I have a cheepo Victor Reinz in hand and have never used it. Keeping it for some sort of emergency. Mercedes one that I have re-used 4 times I opened the valve cover is very substantial. I would not trust the Victor Reinz (flimsy) but then again changing the valve cover is a 15 minute job so you can afford to take risks. I would not want oil leaking on the brand new looking head though.

- Cheers
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
(Thread Starter)
I got the exhaust manifolds removed from the head real quick yesterday. No drama there. Interestingly, the original gaskets have the MB star stamped on them as well as the Elring logo. Apparently Elring is the OEM for those.
I also hooked up my new Noko G15000 battery charger to the battery in the car. So far, that charger is bringing that battery back from the dead nicely. Itís a sad thing, that battery. I bought it brand new the day the car died as an attempt to get the car to start. It has been sitting ever since. Thankfully, that Bosch battery has a 3 year free replacement warranty in case I canít get it to revive fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert Kyle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Buncha W124's
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Interestingly, the original gaskets have the MB star stamped on them as well as the Elring logo. Apparently Elring is the OEM for those.
Yup, Elring is OEM for head gaskets on some engines, including the M104 and OM602/603. I believe Victor-Reinz is OEM for the 4.2L/5.0L M119 head gaskets; but Elring is OEM for the 6.0L M119. Go figure.
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Blown Head Gasket! Questions....

The battery in the car reached 100% using that charger! That's pretty awesome. Now I am in a holding pattern until I can figure out where the parts funds are coming from. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Very interesting project there! Any clue yet as to what caused the initial failure? By the way, the car looks VERY good to be so old in Upstate New York. Any secret to keeping it so nice?

Cheers and good luck with the rest of the project!

Kim G
Redding, CA
But also, Boston, MA, where the fight against rust is unending.
dtsdig likes this.
post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckEngine View Post
Very interesting project there! Any clue yet as to what caused the initial failure? By the way, the car looks VERY good to be so old in Upstate New York. Any secret to keeping it so nice?

Kim G

Redding, CA

If you are referring to the OP's original head gasket, the failure is caused by a design flaw in the gasket.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
dtsdig likes this.
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckEngine View Post

Kim G
Redding, CA
As some others have pointed out, it looks like the gasket was starting to allow coolant to "seep" into #5 and 6 for some time even though I never noticed a loss of coolant, smoke from the tailpipe or drive-ability issues. The car never overheated either, even during it's final moments. I believe that as soon as I turned off the key, that is when the inrush of coolant happened and basically hydrolocked the motor.

Sadly, the body on the car looks terrible now with the clearcoat pealing off everywhere and some spots of surface rust. The key, if anything though, is that I bought the car with 70K on it from (basically) the original owner who lived in Florida. The car was immaculate when I bought it. 4 years in NY took quite a toll but the undercarriage is still in great shape.
CheckEngine likes this.
post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Got the block surface cleaned up over the weekend. I should be able to order parts this week!

This thing is going to need a good acid flush when Iíve got it running again. There are some coolant passages that are nasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CheckEngine likes this.
post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
Yup, Elring is OEM for head gaskets on some engines, including the M104 and OM602/603. I believe Victor-Reinz is OEM for the 4.2L/5.0L M119 head gaskets; but Elring is OEM for the 6.0L M119. Go figure.
So between choosing the Elring head gasket kit for $63 (FCPEuro) or the MB kit for $115 (Pelican parts), what to do?
Can you tell from the pic which is which?

Last edited by dtsdig; 04-09-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in