Blown Head Gasket! Questions.... - Page 11 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
I got the car registered, insured and back on the road!!! I am getting it inspected tomorrow and it will be all official (just the temporary inspection on now). Tonight I plan on changing out all 4 rotors and putting a different set of wheels on it that will pass inspection. I am really anxious to get the new front struts put on because the front end is pretty bouncy now. Next up will be a cooling system flush, changing out the fuel filter once the old gas is run out of the tank and then hopefully this summer will be a full rear suspension and subframe refresh. The car is running great and it is so awesome to be in it again. It's like sliding my hand into an old glove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
re: swapping the old style tensioner for the new style, I've read you need to replace the tower that holds the PS pump, but never tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . . .
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
(Thread Starter)
Well, I've been driving the car for about a week now, and everything has been great! Yesterday, I finally ran the gas out of it enough for the gas light to come on so I got under there and changed the fuel filter out. Afterwards I hit the gas station and filled it with ethanol free 91. Should make it pretty happy this week! The idle is perfectly smooth and there is virtually no vibration from the motor felt in the driver's seat. What a difference an overhaul and all new mounts makes.

The summer wheels I put back on have the front tires scrubbed up pretty badly on the insides and the outsides. The front end feels kind of squirrely going down the road and it needed an alignment before it quit. But, before I do that, I want to get the rear suspension all refreshed so that the rear can also be adjusted. All the bushings back there are in bad shape. More to come.

On a side note, since the old MB is driving again, it is the first time that my 2010 Audi A6 (the replacement car) and this car are both on the road making for an interesting comparison switching back and forth.
CheckEngine and Robert Kyle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 96 E320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
This thread was an epic read. Glad to hear that your car is doing well after all the work you put into it. Just curious, but how would you compare the Audi to the MB? I used to have an 99 Audi 1.8t until last summer when it was totaled. I miss the manual and all wheel drive of the Audi. However, it doesn’t compare to the power (220hp) and space in the E320.

96 E320, 17 Hyundai Tucson
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
This thread was an epic read. Glad to hear that your car is doing well after all the work you put into it. Just curious, but how would you compare the Audi to the MB? I used to have an 99 Audi 1.8t until last summer when it was totaled. I miss the manual and all wheel drive of the Audi. However, it doesn’t compare to the power (220hp) and space in the E320.
Thanks for reading along! The comparison makes me kind of uncomfortable after all of the leadup to getting the MB back on the road, to be honest. On one hand, I think that the W124 is one of the top 5 most beautiful car designs there has ever been. It is just perfectly proportioned and looks so dang good. When I sat back in it for that first test drive, it felt just like putting on an old pair of gloves made just for me. The seat hugs my back, the armrests sit at the exact locations and heights that my arms want to sit at. It goes down the road feeling smooth and agile at the same time. One thing I had forgotten that immediately came back (after I changed the front struts and all the brakes) was how "tossible" the Mercedes is. It's so predictable in corners and I can just slam it around with complete confidence in how it is going to react. I love the visibility inside the interior. This car has never needed any reverse cameras or fancy gadgets because it is so easy to see around and back into parking spots all on its own. I also love that when I want the vents to blow some air at me, they will do it with a gust like no other car I have ever been in. I love the simple controls, the air actuated door locks, the simple two stalk design on the left side of the steering wheel and the roushing sound it makes when you step on the gas. I like that you have to use a key in the door to unlock it and use a key in the ignition to start it. With all of that said, onto the Audi.
My Audi A6 is the C6 platform with the 3.0T (supercharged) and Quattro. It is a Prestige model that came with almost every option available except for lane assist (shakes the wheel when you wander out of your lane) and adaptive cruise control. I bought it from a local gentlemen that drove it (mostly by himself) for 200 miles a day. There was not a single scratch on the leather steering wheel, the shift knob or any of the buttons or controls in the car. Nobody had ever sat in the back seat and I think it was rare that anyone was in the passenger seat. Every bit of work was done at the dealer for all of the 200K miles that were on it. Also, the entire body is aluminum which means there is zero rust. The car is very comfortable, is great to take trips in with the kids in the back, is unstoppable in the snow and pretty fun to drive. It felt like a rocket when I first got it. Dual climate control in the front and another zone in the back, heated steering wheel and heated seats for everybody. Keyless entry, push to start, paddle shifters, etc. I think what has me caught up the most in this comparison though is that the Audi is fast. Granted it is not some 500 HP V8 or anything but there is simply no comparison in acceleration between the Audi and the Mercedes. It is night and day. Unfortunately, I have gotten very used to how fast it is over the last two years, and it makes for a hard transition back to the Mercedes. The Audi is not "tossible" though. In fact, I think taking turns too fast is the Quattro feels pretty unpredictable. It understeers like a front wheel drive car and that drives me nuts.
I am at a crossroads for sure. My next project on the Mercedes would be to completely replace the rear suspension and subframe components, not an easy job, and it will cost me about $500 in parts. Then, it needs a dealer alignment for another $200. After that is addressed, the AC system went soft the last couple years it was on the road which will require troubleshooting where the leak is, fixing it and then having a shop evacuate the system and recharge it. At that point, the car will be nearly perfect, mechanically. Then, there's the body. There are multiple bubbled paint spots now, the clearcoat issues and a couple of pretty rusty spots around the moonroof. The wheelwells and underbody is in good shape as are the door jambs, but the body panels need some attention. For now, I'm just rolling with it all and we'll see what happens.
post #106 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The 124 accelerator response was designed/influenced by the suit against Audi in the 80's for 'unintended acceleration'. That suit influenced other marques as well.

Obviously, Mercedes did not want to go down that road as Audi did, even if as proven there was nothing mechanically wrong with their cars. Whether it's mechanical or 'fly by wire', there's lag built in.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in