Blown Head Gasket! Questions.... - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Left coast posted a pic awhile back showing the relation of the center part if the tensioner to illustrate if it's toast. If it's pointing the wrong way , looking from the back, the rubber has given up. They also often fail if tension is relived after years of being "sprung".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dtsdig
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblejoe View Post
Left coast posted a pic awhile back showing the relation of the center part if the tensioner to illustrate if it's toast. If it's pointing the wrong way , looking from the back, the rubber has given up. They also often fail if tension is relived after years of being "sprung".
I suspect it is beat even though it looks ok. It probably would have been fine if the car continued to run but sitting did not do it any good.
post #93 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 Sedan 97K, 1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon 156K, 2009 VW EOS 45K (Wife's car)
(Thread Starter)
Iím heading off to pick up the valve cover! You can see that underneath all of the pealing paint, the cover was pitted pretty badly in some areas but I think it looks a million times better now. These pics are from the powdercoater:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
This morning I cleaned all the rust off the PS pulley and water pump pulley and gave them a fresh coat of flat black. I also cleaned up and sprayed the metal three-legged bracket that the tensioner attaches to.
The valve cover looks amazing considering itís age and Mg makeup.

Today is turn the key day!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #95 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
We are back in business! First things first, I wanted you guys to see the new tensioner assembly from Febi. I was nervous about having to choose this brand, but Iím happy with how it turned out. The part was made in Germany and has INA bearings which makes me comfortable with the quality of the part.

Getting that side of the block cleaned up and getting the pulley back in went nicely. The little plastic pointer thing that helps set the tension even went back in successfully.

But, before that all went back together, I got the valve cover back on, filled that sucker with oil and fired it up!!! It cranked the first time without any drama. Once I knew it was going to be ok, I spent a while getting the tensioner, pulleys and belt installed. Then I worked on the fan, shroud and the rest of the little bits. First test drive was so awesome. Obviously, the brakes were extremely violent for the first few miles, but after a while they started to smooth out. I am still planning on installing the new rotors I have anyway.
I've got a DMV appointment Thursday, and insurance on it beginning today. This thing will be officially back on the road in no time!

And here it is after it had been driven and was fully warmed up. It is super smooth and nice and quiet.

The black valve cover looks so good with everything all clean and buttoned up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2512252  
Jayare and CheckEngine like this.

Last edited by dtsdig; 05-13-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #96 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Buncha W124's
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
We are back in business! First things first, I wanted you guys to see the new tensioner assembly from Febi. I was nervous about having to choose this brand, but I’m happy with how it turned out. The part was made in Germany and has INA bearings which makes me comfortable with the quality of the part.
Nice to hear it fired up! Febi doesn't make anything, they are a reboxer... sometimes they rebox OEM parts, sometimes they rebox junk. What you received may be a good part, possibly OEM. The fact it has INA (OEM) bearings is a good sign.

But just because it's made in Germany, don't assume it's OK. See below, from back in 2014...

My new-to-me S124 wagon had a record of the M104 fan bearing bracket being replaced by a shop a few years ago. The receipt shows the shop charged the previous owner full MB dealer retail at the time for the bracket ($278)... but they installed a Febi bracket instead. The Febi bracket failed in 4 years / 38kmi, the bearing was loose in the casting and allowed the pulley to move forward/aft 2-3mm.

The Febi bracket was made in Germany, btw... no Chinese stuff here. Apparently Febi can't even make quality stuff in Germany! It is also sad that a shop would charge a customer dealer retail, and then install a part which they probably paid 1/3 as much for. As a bonus, the shop did not install it correctly, they did not use anaerobic sealant on the bolts during installation as specified in the FSM. This caused an oil leak. *sigh*

On a side note, the Febi bracket would not allow the pulley locking tool (round rod) to insert properly, the casting was not lined up with the hole in the flange. Since there are no name-brand brackets available via aftermarket, I shelled out for the OE bracket from the dealer. On the OE bracket, the pulley lock tool fits perfectly! After cleaning everything and installing with the proper sealant on the bolts, the leak is gone.

Photos at this link, scroll down to "fan".
CheckEngine likes this.
post #97 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
Nice to hear it fired up! Febi doesn't make anything, they are a reboxer... sometimes they rebox OEM parts, sometimes they rebox junk. What you received may be a good part, possibly OEM. The fact it has INA (OEM) bearings is a good sign.

But just because it's made in Germany, don't assume it's OK. See below, from back in 2014...
I wasn't assuming anything. I was just happy to see some clear signs that it could be a decent part based on the bearings.
Jayare likes this.
post #98 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
After a thorough soapy power washing at the local car wash, I am very encouraged by how well the old beast cleaned up. At 20 feet, the car looks pretty darn good still.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2512254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	2512256  
gsxr, Jayare and CheckEngine like this.
post #99 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Nice work! The quality and comparative simplicity of the w124 makes them worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #100 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1999 C280 (sport), also 2001 SLK230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Woo hoo!!!! Congratulations!!! You must be happy! I'm certainly happy for you. It's got to be good to get your baby back.

I'm also glad you posted pictures of the whole car as I was getting curious. It does look good in the photos. I've always liked red Benzes. I currently own a '99 C280 Sport, but passed up the opportunity to buy a red one when I was looking for mine in the summer of 2017. Mine's black (very black) what with a black exterior and black interior, and since it's the sport version, all the normally wooden bits are (fake) carbon fiber. So black, black, black. I'd love to have a red one, but when shopping used, mechanicals and overall condition trump color. Sigh.

Anyway, congrats again. Maybe you can make a driving video and post that?

Cheers,

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where we are very thankful that all our head gaskets are still doing their job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in