Castrol GTX regular oil for 1995 E320 - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1995 E320 sedan
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Castrol GTX regular oil for 1995 E320

Hello everyone!
I have a question about engine oil. I know that engine oil has been discussed many times and I don't want to start an oil war again but I haven't seen many posts regarding my question.
I have a 1995 E320 with 187000KMs (117000miles) and I have been using Castrol GTX 10W-40 regular engine oil and change it every 4000KMs (or at least once a year). This oil is readily available everywhere with cheap price and I noticed many members recommend Chevron Delo Diesel oil but it seems that it's hard to find around here.
In Vancouver (Canada), the temperature range is -8C to 30C. I am not sure if this oil is suitable and I appreciate your comments. I haven't had any problems with it so far.
w124_owner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 16,529
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Costco has Delo, and provides better ZDDP protection than Castrol GTX.

However, since you live in a cold climate I would recommend you run at least a 5W-40.

I highly recommend Liqui Moly LeichtLauf High Tech and is on MB's own 229.5 Bevo list meaning it has been tested and approved by MB themselves. I use this same oil and live in a very similar climate.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-Le...70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited by sbaert; 04-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.
sbaert is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
 
Verbal's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle: 1994 E320, 1997 E420, 1999 E320 4MATIC, 1999 SL500
Location: Seattle
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Costco has Delo, and provides better ZDDP protection than Castrol GTX.
What are your feelings about using Mobil 1 0W-40 in the M104? This is the weight that Mobil recommends for that engine on their website guide. Thanks.

"I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."
Verbal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:49 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: '85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This is the viscosity chart:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/224.1_en.html

per ambient temperature.

No problems with Mobil 1 0W-40 in my diesel.

(If your model has a diesel particulate filter use 229.51 oils).
jzchen is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 16,529
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
What are your feelings about using Mobil 1 0W-40 in the M104? This is the weight that Mobil recommends for that engine on their website guide. Thanks.
Not enough ZDDP protection IMO. Fine for FSS (flexible service schedule) MBs, Mobil1 0W-40 is the one stop shop oil to cover all the newer generation cars.

W124s are NON FSS cars
sbaert is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: '85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Castrol GTX regular oil for 1995 E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Not enough ZDDP protection IMO. Fine for FSS (flexible service schedule) MBs, Mobil1 0W-40 is the one stop shop oil to cover all the newer generation cars.



W124s are NON FSS cars


Mobil 1 0W-40 FS has 1100 PPM Zinc, in the form of ZDDP I assume, just an FYI.

(“FS” is the updated formula which came out a few years ago now):

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

Last edited by jzchen; 04-27-2018 at 02:32 AM.
jzchen is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: 1995 E320 sedan
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Costco has Delo, and provides better ZDDP protection than Castrol GTX.

However, since you live in a cold climate I would recommend you run at least a 5W-40.

I highly recommend Liqui Moly LeichtLauf High Tech and is on MB's own 229.5 Bevo list meaning it has been tested and approved by MB themselves. I use this same oil and live in a very similar climate.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-Le...70_&dpSrc=srch
Thanks for the reply. I don't think Costco in Canada has the Chevron Delo. I will check it out. By the way, which Chevron Delo do you recommend? cause there are a bunch of them:
- Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40
- Delo 400 XSP Synthetic SAE 5W-40
- Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40(Isosyn Advance Tech)
- Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40

My head gasket has a small leak and I tend to stay away from Synthetics for now.
w124_owner is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 16,529
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
400 LE if you can still find it. It has been supplanted by SDE.

BTW, you will not find a synthetic 15W-40. And 5W-40 is for synthetics.

However, because of your climate I'd think 5W-40 is the way to go.
sbaert is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: '85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 2,951
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
400 LE if you can still find it. It has been supplanted by SDE.

BTW, you will not find a synthetic 15W-40. And 5W-40 is for synthetics.

However, because of your climate I'd think 5W-40 is the way to go.

Mobil 1 0W-40 $22.88 at Walmart.com/Walmart,

$10 Walmart certificate:

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...ary-april-2018

$12.88 for 5 qts....
jzchen is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 16,529
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Sorry, but you are wrong. OW-40 was never a approved fluid for the W124. Didn't even exist yet.

As I said, 0W-40 is for later FSS generation cars.
liebeskind likes this.
sbaert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome