95 E320 awful noise coming from engine, sounds like old an tractor. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 1995 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
95 E320 awful noise coming from engine, sounds like old an tractor.

So yesterday my car started making this noise *it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine but is hard to tell for sure.
the fist part is stationary in neutral I revved the engine a bit, and the second video is driving inside of a parking garage... you can hear driving noise over it but can still hear the mystery noise. It almost sounds like an old diesel tractor. Other than the noise, there doesn't seem to be any new symptoms associated with it while driving (loss of power or hesitation) There is no CE light but I have the California model on board led reader and that gave me codes 4, 5, 23, and 26. (26) wasn't cleared after I had the transmission serviced and the reverse clutches rebuilt so it is a non issue here. I have had the car close to 3 years and spent the first couple months trying to pass emissions in CO I ended up putting the catalytic converter from an E430 on it and that was the end of that trouble.

Any ideas on what this could be? The car has 251,000 miles on it. Any more info I can provide to help with diagnosing this please let me know. Thanks for all of the help that this forum provides.

****Final Edit*** The noise was coming from the fan bearing bracket, the clutch was fine. I ended up not needing to buy the two special tools layer in the post I made the fan stop out of a 5.5 mm steel rod I had and the special 8mm hex I used a cut off allen wrench set inside a stubby socket which worked nicely.

Last edited by 320forME; 11-05-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Problem has been resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2016
Vehicle: 99 s320 member since 2009 fastest time 14.6 1/4 mile nitrous.
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
had that sound with a m104,oil filter was full of aluminum flakes,so I put a motor in it.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:35 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate D. Rector View Post
had that sound with a m104,oil filter was full of aluminum flakes,so I put a motor in it.
Nate

If the flakes you mention are from the motor that had the nitrous shot and was drag raced in your W140, you should say so.

My suggestion is to get the car outside. Trying to determine the source of a "sound" inside an concrete echo chamber has it's challenges. Outside and hood up will give you a good idea of the source of the noise. If you have a mechanics stethoscope or 3' long pipe/hose etc it will help you identify external accessories or internal rotating parts as the source.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jayare

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jayare; 10-31-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate D. Rector View Post
Don't scare me like that, I just checked the filter no aluminium but it is due for a change.
M104_the_Situation likes this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayare View Post
Nate

If the flakes you mention are from the motor that had the nitrous shot and was drag raced in your W140, you should say so.

My suggestion is to get the car outside. Trying to determine the source of a "sound" inside an concrete echo chamber has it's challenges. Outside and hood up will give you a good idea of the source of the noise. If you have a mechanics stethoscope or 3' long pipe/hose etc it will help you identify external accessories or internal rotating parts as the source.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jayare

I should have included in the post that it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine at first I thought the fan was hitting something or the bearing was going bad. but that is not the case.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Sounds like the timing is out of spec. In other words, the chain may have skipped a tooth causing the valves to touch the pistons.

This can be caused by bad chain guides, bad chain tensioner, stretched chain, or if the timing was not set properly after major engine work such as a headgasket replacement.

Do not drive the car until you figure out the cause.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
I would try stethoscope/pipe/screwdriver to each accessory and your ear (transmit sound, but don't injure yourself with moving engine) like Jayare suggests. Try to pinpoint the noise.

Or remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise persists. No running accessories...no noise means its an accessory. From there try to spin each one by hand and see if one is crunchy/noisy
If you have a 95, you might luck out and have the later tensioner so it will be easy.
If its the old style make sure you research how to loosen so you don't break the adjuster. And be prepared for the tensioner to die if its really old (rubber no longer provides tension)

It could simply be a bad accessory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"alte Schulqualitšt"
W124, One of the last great gifts of West Germany
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Sounds like the timing is out of spec. In other words, the chain may have skipped a tooth causing the valves to touch the pistons.

This can be caused by bad chain guides, bad chain tensioner, stretched chain, or if the timing was not set properly after major engine work such as a headgasket replacement.

Do not drive the car until you figure out the cause.
It Hasn't had any engine work done in the last 4 years, wouldn't bad timing components have other symptoms? My last car a 93 300E had the head gasket blow and the shop I took it to FUBARed it and installed the timing sprocket wrong but it would only make a noise after 1500RPM - 2000RPM I called a dedicated MB guy and told me to disconnected the camshaft positioning sensor?? round thing on top front of engine??? so it wouldn't advance and drove it to him who fixed that for me and billed the other shop for it.

This sound is completely different from that. Not sure if that helps or not.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320forME View Post
It Hasn't had any engine work done in the last 4 years, wouldn't bad timing components have other symptoms? My last car a 93 300E had the head gasket blow and the shop I took it to FUBARed it and installed the timing sprocket wrong but it would only make a noise after 1500RPM - 2000RPM I called a dedicated MB guy and told me to disconnected the camshaft positioning sensor?? round thing on top front of engine??? so it wouldn't advance and drove it to him who fixed that for me and billed the other shop for it.

This sound is completely different from that. Not sure if that helps or not.
Truthfully, all of us are at a huge disadvantage here and we understand you are trying your best. At this point, I'm out of suggestions other than taking the car to the trusted shop that helped you before. If you go that route, just let us know what the diagnosis is.

Good luck

Jayare

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: '95 E320, 221k miles, fair cond
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
95 E320 awful noise coming from engine, sounds like old an tractor.

Have you checked the secondary air injector? It could be a vacuum hose leak or a faulty air injector as error code 4 shows.

Also 5 indicates a faulty EGR valve which again could be a faulty vacuum hose.

Code 23 is intake manifold pressure too low or too high. This is measured by a sensor between the ABS and the purge valve that ha a vacuum hose connected to the intake manifold. That's another vacuum issue.

Code 26 could be a vacuum issue but it's a separate sensor and switch located above the master cylinder.

Bottom line is check all your vacuum hoses first for any loose hoses. Clear error codes and see if any returns. Also, is your battery still good? These sensors are sensitive to low voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in