1994 Mercedes E320 wagon driveline/driveshaft broke issues - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Almost 2 years since your last post! You're as bad as I am. LOL
tuttebenne and dmorgan1952 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2017
Vehicle: 1994 Mercedes E320 wagons (2)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
augapfel, Thanks for the feedback and it is great to be back!!
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Transmission damaged as well as the engine/motor?

HI, an update on the 1994 E320 wagon. I just got back from the shop after the shop owner emailed me with 3 pictures of the transmission area. The bad news is they can't fix/replace the two piece driveshaft due to the damage of the transmission. See the pictures below:

My question is, based on the pictures, it looks like the transmission is damaged as well and will have to be replace and is it worth it? Based on the look of the transmission in the pictures, is the engine damaged as well? If there is an used transmission available and replace the old transmission with a used one, will that be worth it, too? I am debating myself on these issues. According to the vin number, its specifications show the transmission model: 722369 03 937210. Is there this type of transmission available somewhere? Is there any cross reference of the transmission from other models or is it specific type of transmission for the particular 1994 Mercedes wagon?

Any comments, feedback, advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144534.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	2533482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144540.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	2533484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_144527.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2533486  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Ugh. I can't believe what I am seeing. The selector rod got wrapped around the rear flange ! You might contact a reputable transmission rebuilder like Sun Valley and be honest with them about the condition of your core transmission (that you will be shipping back to them). The fact that the selector rod and related shifting mechanism was mangled could have something to do with your key being locked. In addition to the transmission you may need access to a few junkyard parts (shifter for example). Good luck with this.

Has anyone told you WHY the driveshaft came apart? I suspect the front flex disc let go and that started the calamity.
augapfel and dmorgan1952 like this.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
tuttebenne, thanks for your last message. You are probably right about the selector rod being mangled and could cause the ignition key to get stuck.

No sir, no one told me why the driveshaft came apart. You are also probably correct about the front disc flex were wearing out prior to its present demise. The last time I drove the mercedes, there was some hesitation between shiftiing gears, which I suspected flex disc was wearing out.

Due to my limited resources and for safety reasons, I would probably look around for another transmission and have the old transmission replace by a mechanic. I am not sure if the old transmission is worth saving due its damage. Also, I am not sure if the engine/motor is affected as well. Stay tune for further adventures on this interesting situation.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I looked into Sun Valley transmission website and is located in Pacoima, CA. That is quite far away from where I live. Is that the only reputable transmission rebuilder of Mercedes as recommended by fellow members here?

it seems my only options, as far as my budget goes, is to remove the transmission myself and shipped the transmission to the transmission rebuilder wherever they are, the closer to my home, the better. That means I have to get some good and solid strong ramps with enough room for me to go under the undercarriage and remove the transmission. Also, I have to get a transmission jack to hold the loose transmission. These are the possible scenarios going through my head as well as possible others I have not thought about.

Ideally, the best solution for me is to have the whole Mercedes (including the old transmission intact) tow to the nearest Mercedes transmission rebuilder near Nashville Tennessee area, since Nashville is a big city and should have some good reputable Mercedes transmission rebuilders.
However, I will continue to do some research on this situation. Stay tune.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I just saw the sun valley website and showed the rebuilt transmission available for sale with exchange. Same model number and year.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Just receive a message from one of the Mercedes salvage yard owner after I sent him the three pictures. To him, looking at the pictures, it looks like the shifter linkage wrapped around the
transmission flange. Can't say the transmission is bad.

It is possible the transmission is good and the shifter linkage along with the transmission flange needs to be replace.

It seems to me at this point is for me to do a thorough check myself by going under the carriage.
By doing so, I will try to remove the transmission flange along with the
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
sorry about the last sentence screwed up. It should say By doing so, I will try to remove the transmission flange along with the shifter linkage wrapped around the transmission flange.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
So you didn't get the memo about front flex discs going bad, causing vibration, and eventually coming apart wreak havoc? Sometimes they cause the airbags to deploy because they whack the top of the driveshaft tunnel and the airbag control module is located directly above.
Too soon to say if the transmission is damaged. Your first step should be to remove the mangled shifter rod and teh flex disc attaching bolts. Then you can spin the output shaft yoke and see if it is bent or otherwise damaged.
If it is damaged you'll need a 12-point 1 3/16" deep socket to remove the nut holding it to the output shaft. Then the yoke just pulls off the output shaft.
Hopefully the shift lever clip and/or bushing let go soon enough that the shift linkage going into the trans didn't get harmed.
Is the kickdown solenoid broken off the back of the trans?
dmorgan1952 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in