M104 3.2 Burning Oil after Head Rebuild -- Thoughts and Guidance, please. - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: Ex 202.028, 124.028, 107.045 (with 117.967), 129.067; now 163.154, 203.764, 129.066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@tuttebenne :

I do have an update. The shop was too busy to take my car back in as of the last post, but the job was finally scheduled on the 13th. To make a long story short, the head was removed and no problem was found per the mechanic. I do have a number of pictures that he sent via phone that I can upload over the weekend. However, he said that there was considerable debris and muck in the intake manifold, as well as whatever it is that is responsible for crankcase ventilation in the bottom end of the motor, and something having to do with the valve cover. He replaced the intake manifold and valve cover. Said the car no longer smokes but I started it up yesterday to move it and there was a puff of white smoke. Less than before, but it was there. Additionally, the water and ABS lights were on after reassembly but systems appear functional (car even runs at a slightly lower temperature than before)

He said that's all he can do for me, so I'm just going to move on from it.

Now to add another layer to this and probably fodder for a new thread...
Some may recall that I mentioned a hunting idle and very occasional stalling issue--which I assume is unrelated--he replaced the OVP relay and the plug connector that attaches to the harness. He also swapped out the throttle actuator with one I had hanging around for testing purposes. The one that came with the car had a 2004 date code, this spare had a 1995 code and was therefore suspect.

Took the car out from the shop after he said he'd tested it for a full day and it promptly died on me within a mile. Had it towed back. Next day he said he'd reinstalled the 2004 actuator, so I came to collect the car. Wouldn't start. Had him take me to work, called at my lunch break, and said the car was ready.

Returned to collect the car. The idle was very high in neutral (~1500) and about 900 in gear (about 400-500 rpm higher than I was accustomed to). Other than that it ran very well. Drove a good 15 miles or so without incident. Shut the car off a couple of times too to ensure that it would restart. Third time, however, it would just start and die. I could barely put it into gear before being able to move it, so I had to leave the car in a local parking lot, have someone from work give me a ride back to the office and then return that evening to call AAA to have the car towed back home. Mechanic is calling leaving messages postulating that the fuel pump or actuator are at fault, which I don't dispute, but I've chosen a new shop after discussing my situation with the proprietor of said shop. He's willing to examine and feels he can give a definitive diagnosis without any willy-nilly pissing-in-the-wind postulating but cannot take my car for at least a week.

The car runs terribly now. Sputters, misses, if it doesn't stall altogether. Water light is still on, but ABS light is out. Check engine light intermittent as it has been.

For reference, MAF, ECU, starter harness, fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, and engine harness have all been replaced on the car during the last 12-18 months.

So right now I'm beyond the oil burning issue because I can't even use the car without worrying that it will conk out at the foot of my driveway. When it stalled the first time after I picked it up end of last week, the only place I could manoeuvre it into was in front of a fire hydrant!

Last edited by stradivari1689; 03-24-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: '95 E320, 221k miles, fair cond
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your experience with this car. Unfortunately the only advice we can give you st this point is to look for another mechanic unless you are able to pull up some error codes from the built in diagnostics box and post them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:04 AM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Starivari, seems you nightmare has gotten even worse. I have now lost track. Did the same mechanic that worked on your head originally performed the second removal and check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: Ex 202.028, 124.028, 107.045 (with 117.967), 129.067; now 163.154, 203.764, 129.066
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolucasi View Post
Starivari, seems you nightmare has gotten even worse. I have now lost track. Did the same mechanic that worked on your head originally performed the second removal and check?
Yes. Same one.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: E320, 1994, 1995
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Help yourself to acquire Hfmscan and a cable, so that you can find out why your engine is behaving as such. The problem is now not exactly related to the head gasket. Read my threads on Hfmscan to know how it can help you.

jftu105
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 1989 W124 260E Saloon. M103 lump.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Strad -- Sorry to hear you still have a problem . I wish you all the best in getting the car up to normal healthy running .
Its such a worry when the car is problem , as it never lets you rest. Good luck ..
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to dolucasi
Stradivari, I went back and read your entire thread again. Your car seems to be in a death spiral. Sorry.

My conclusion is that something happened to your PCV after the first rebuild. That caused oil burning as well as major gunk all over your intake.
And seems that also triggered other problems. Not sure if the problem is fixed now either. You did not mention if the car is still burning 1 quart/500 miles. Since you had the intake replaced did the mechanic give you the old intake for you to inspect for gunk yourself? I sure hope so.

But all this is past history now. You have to decide whether you want to resurrect this car or just get rid of it. My recommendation is that if you do want to keep the car you need to become a DIY person. Otherwise it will cost you a lot of money and also you will not be aware of things being done to your car.

There is plenty of good advice in this forum should you decide to become a DIY'er. That is what I've become and have fixed most of the issues with my car in the last year. But my situation is different, I'm resurrecting the very first new car I bought back in 1989, and it is a harder to find stick shift W201.

I wish you good luck with your decision making process.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: W124
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Thanks for the update. Sorry the second attempt at removal of the head didn't resolve the issue as hoped. It is a wise decision to move on to another mechanic and to leave the one who never fails to point at new causes at every opportunity. Keep us posted. I will have a little more patience now that you are working with a new shop.

'
'93 400E
'93 500E
'94 E320TE
'00 E320
'02 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in